what does turbo mean in some engines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what does turbo mean in some engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default what does turbo mean in some engines?

like the O.S. .18 TZ is a turbo. what does that mean? i know u dont have to use a washer on the glow plug with turbos like u do other engines, but is that all it means?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

The “turbo” name typically has meant that the engine uses a “turbo plug AND has more than 3 ports.

The OS "TZ" engines have turbo plugs and 5 ports.

A turbo plug is different than a regular plug in that it has a tapered end that fits snugly with the button, removing the need for (as you said) a washer. Turbo plugs result in a cleaner combustion chamber and thus can help produce more power. Also, turbo plugs can’t be put in a non-turbo engine, and visa versa. Although for non-turbo engines you can just replace the button (the part of the engine the plug screws into) with a turbo version.

The “5 port” sleeve in the TZ engines is a much bigger performance gain than the turbo plug. Typically the more ports, the better the flow of air/fuel can be managed within the engine, and thus more power.

Note that if you race, then there may be rules about whether or not turbo plugs are allowed or if your engine can have more than 3 ports. Check the rules before you buy.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

i get it now. i was just wondering becasue i just got an O.S. .18 TZ, and didn't know what turbo meant. i dont plan on racing. thank u for the reply
Old 06-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Actually what seamus said is only partially correct. Turbo engines have nothing to do with the number of ports. There are plenty of 3 port turbo engines. It has to do with the head button. The head button determines what kind of glow plug is used. The turbo plug is tapered and forms a better seal. As stated previously, you don't use the copper washer that comes with non turbo plugs. Also the turbo combustions chamber is a better shape and produces slightly more power.