Wiki Posts
Search

Spec Tires for ROAR Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default fairness?, laughable

The only thing I see here is that Pro-Line & Losi have had their way. Personally I feel that the drivers coming to the race are quality drivers or they would'nt waste their money on entrance fees. I also feel that ANY tire that is made and SOLD to the public should be allowed by ANY driver, after all, is it not the drivers SKILL that wins a race? Also, why does ROAR "adapt" for certain races?, time to can ROAR and go with a different organization or maybe a new one, the inconsistancy is crazy when it comes to certain manufacturers. maybe U.P.R.O.A.R. email me and i will tell you what it means.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Sean, with the one day of practice, the time needed to test tires will turn into who can go there a couple weeks before to find the optimum tire. It has been done that way before. Example, look at the regional, even the regional director was inviting anyone to attend their regional as a warm up for the nationals(which out of region drivers would have only been going there for testing and not caring if they won the region or not).

Most of the time the track that is choosen to hold the national has been run on previously by a top factory driver and they know what the tire of choice will end up being. So the need to find the right tire is really only needed for tracks that haven't held a larger event in the past where a factory driver attended.

Ater reading everyones posts, a good medium can be found. So far I see most agree on limiting the # of tires used to 1 set for qualifying and possibly 1 more set for the mains. No limit on what tires used(but I feel it should still be a tire available to the public and not one off tires). Limiting the number of days for practice, I suggest 2 days and not 1 unless they can get in 4 or 5 rounds in that one day(just makes for a long day, and would require not allowing demonstration classes which add to the race day). Would also be nice to have the prefered tire known listed on the flier when it comes time to sign up for the event.

Here is something a little different to suggest as well, it is done at the nitro off-road nationals, and could possibly be implimented into the electric side somewhat. What if Practice was on thursday only(all classes), friday the racing starts at 9, Truck only. Figure if the limit maxed out and there were 300 entries, there would be about 110 trucks, which would be 11 heats which could have all 4 rounds done in roughly 6 hours, thus truck qualifying would be over at around 3. Then the track could be opened back up for practice only for 2wd and 4wd. Saturday qualifying could start at 9 again for just 2wd and 4wd which would have roughly 20 heats, and wcould have 4 rounds of qualifying done between 10-11 hours. Then sunday the mains are run. This would give people who don't run truck an extra day they would not have to show up for to practice because they would get practice on friday evening. This is just something to think about to help add to practice time and help reduce the amount of time needed off during the week to attend, but still gives a good amount of track time for practice.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
Sean, with the one day of practice, the time needed to test tires will turn into who can go there a couple weeks before to find the optimum tire. It has been done that way before. Example, look at the regional, even the regional director was inviting anyone to attend their regional as a warm up for the nationals(which out of region drivers would have only been going there for testing and not caring if they won the region or not).

Most of the time the track that is choosen to hold the national has been run on previously by a top factory driver and they know what the tire of choice will end up being. So the need to find the right tire is really only needed for tracks that haven't held a larger event in the past where a factory driver attended.

Ater reading everyones posts, a good medium can be found. So far I see most agree on limiting the # of tires used to 1 set for qualifying and possibly 1 more set for the mains. No limit on what tires used(but I feel it should still be a tire available to the public and not one off tires). Limiting the number of days for practice, I suggest 2 days and not 1 unless they can get in 4 or 5 rounds in that one day(just makes for a long day, and would require not allowing demonstration classes which add to the race day). Would also be nice to have the prefered tire known listed on the flier when it comes time to sign up for the event.

Here is something a little different to suggest as well, it is done at the nitro off-road nationals, and could possibly be implimented into the electric side somewhat. What if Practice was on thursday only(all classes), friday the racing starts at 9, Truck only. Figure if the limit maxed out and there were 300 entries, there would be about 110 trucks, which would be 11 heats which could have all 4 rounds done in roughly 6 hours, thus truck qualifying would be over at around 3. Then the track could be opened back up for practice only for 2wd and 4wd. Saturday qualifying could start at 9 again for just 2wd and 4wd which would have roughly 20 heats, and wcould have 4 rounds of qualifying done between 10-11 hours. Then sunday the mains are run. This would give people who don't run truck an extra day they would not have to show up for to practice because they would get practice on friday evening. This is just something to think about to help add to practice time and help reduce the amount of time needed off during the week to attend, but still gives a good amount of track time for practice.
That is done now.... Hodapp was there a couple of weeks ago. But with a fresh track it would still be the same for everyone. Nobody allowed on the 'new' track until that 1 day of practice. All they are going to get out of going 2 weeks early is tire set-up.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lazarus
The only thing I see here is that Pro-Line & Losi have had their way. Personally I feel that the drivers coming to the race are quality drivers or they would'nt waste their money on entrance fees. I also feel that ANY tire that is made and SOLD to the public should be allowed by ANY driver, after all, is it not the drivers SKILL that wins a race? Also, why does ROAR "adapt" for certain races?, time to can ROAR and go with a different organization or maybe a new one, the inconsistancy is crazy when it comes to certain manufacturers. maybe U.P.R.O.A.R. email me and i will tell you what it means.

HUH?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Sean, thats why I put that the best tire combo be listed on the flier. This helps those who can not go there in advance to see what tires might work and which ones will not work.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1 day of practice? Mon through Wed is open and Thurs is controlled. Where do you get one day from?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Jdawg, we are talking about possiblities for future nationals and trying to suggest ways to reduce the largest burdon on the event for the drivers, the cost. If the rule could be changed to only allow one day of practice, this would reduce the cost of attending the event drastically. Currently the track has the option of openign up between 2-4 days before friday. They could actually keep the track closed until Wednesday if the track so chooses(by the current rule). That is where 1 day comes from. It has been talked about here by numerous people in the previous posts. No where was it stated that there will only be a single day of practice this year.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
Sean, thats why I put that the best tire combo be listed on the flier. This helps those who can not go there in advance to see what tires might work and which ones will not work.

Oh yeah, I totally agree.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

i would just like to let every one know the track will not even be set up for the nats until the saturday and sunday before the raceweek starts. the week before practice starts we are tearing the old track down taking all the jumps out and starting form scratch . right now almost everyone that has tried hole shots has gone faster with imfar pins or fuzzy t on both cars and trucks the only thing i wish is some one would make imfar for a 4 wheel front again. and just remember this is not a spec tire bring what you want to run
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

i cut some rear ifmars for the front, and they worked fantastic. didn't take too much time either.

Mark Westerfield
Old 07-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would do it if I could see someone do a set of tires to know exactly what to do.

Right now I hunted down all the pairs I could find of losi IFMAR pin fronts, after 5 months searching, found 4 pairs NIB total.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

5 months!? screw that, about 30 minutes and i had a set ready to be glued onto the rim.