R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default RC Beginner Help

My b-days coming up and i used to have a gas rc car a while back. I think it'd be a fun thing to invest time into so how should I go about starting this hobbie?

I've made the descion of choosing a off road gas buggy. I figure I can do both road and off road with it so might as well choose the buggy. Iv'e also chosen nitro because of it's speed and authenticity.

I don't know if I want to buy a kit... I've put models togethor in the past and everything, but this looks fairly complicated. How long does it take? Is it really that hard? I would like to know how it worked for reairs and modding so I don't know if I should get a RTR model.

So with about 200 bucks, what should I get as a beginner with ambitions about this hobbie? Should I go the 1:8 scale way or not? Please help, th's hard to find any helpful text on the 'net for this.

A 1:8 nitro gas buggy that requires assem. for around 200 dollars is what I'm shootin for. Any models? thx
Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

If you're looking into buggies, you'll be contending with the 1/8th scale cars. You can get those in the Kit or the RTR form.

These aren't exactly models...they're a little more indepth than that! as you will soon figure out if you decide to build one. I personally havn't built an 1/8th scale buggy yet, but among my other cars, it takes 6-8 hours to build it.....8+ hours for a really good job. I usually try and pace myself and do the fine detail stuff....it could easily take a few days to finish it.

If you just follow the directions as they read and look at the pictures closely, pretty much every kit is idiot proff. Especially if you go with LOSI or AE manuals, a freakin baby could put those together!

The benefit to a kit is that you already have the know-how on how to fix it when it breaks. If it is an RTR, you may have more difficult time repairing the car.

Unfortunitally, you can't get into much anything with 200 dollars. If you want 1/8th scale....kit, you're looking at easily $1000+....the RTR would be much cheaper, but cheaper in the radio equipment, engine parts....etc. an RTR would still be in the 500 range.

If you're starting from scratch and want a kit, for most any car, you'll be looking at around roughly $850 and up. You can get a very basic RTR electric car for probably 200.

For 200 bucks, you're looking at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXVK74**&P=ML

for a kit, you're looking more along the lines of these http://www.teamlosi.com/kits/index.htm

Don't forget, a kit is just the rolling chassis....you still need to purchase the radio equipment, electronics, motors, batteries/gas, servos ect....

Sorry if this puts a damper on your interest in the hobby. Let us know if you have any more questions! Good Luck!!
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Well $200 wont get you anywhere with a 1/8th nitro buggy. If your on a budget you will have to go with an RTR, the only low cost 1/8th buggy is the Ofna hyper 7 TQ sport kit ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJLE8&P=ML ). I would suggest if you want to spend the least amount possible and still get a decent quality machine get one of these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGUS1&P=7 or if you want to get something a bit nicer I'd go with this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJDB5&P=ML , or this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKBE6&P=7 .

All of those are good buggies the Jammin is the best, the Ravager is not quite as good, and the Ultra comp is your basic model. Also I would suggest going down to your local hobby shop and seeing what they stock parts for, what they carry, what is popular in your area, what most people race in you area if your interested in racing at all, and while your there you should be able to check out one of these models first hand.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Dude if you want a very fun off road car and MOST likely beable to get any part about anywhere, find another 100 bucks and get the RTR rc10gt. awsome bigginer car.
Chad_R40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Tech Addict

^^ That would be the way to go. If you try to go too cheap on a 1/8 scale buggy you probably won't be too happy with your purchase. The RC10GT would be a nice choice, as would the losi XXX-NT RTR-2 or whateverf its called.
SoCalLosiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Most 1/8 racers start off in the 2WD Stadium truck class like the RC10GT.

You can get a RTR RC10GT plus for $245 at www.towerhobbies.com

Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rushdude

Since you are on a low budget, I would aim for getting another $50 to get the xxx-nt sport. The first version, not the second other wise that would cost $350.00 instead of $250.00. You can still find the first version and www.stormerhobbies.com and it still comes with the jr xr2 radio rather than ae's crappy one.
rushdude is offline   Reply With Quote