Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak gtb2 wont go, help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Novak gtb2 wont go, help please

I just got a new GTB2 and it won't power my motor; keeps throwing out the "motor rotor lockout" signal. Sometimes if I disconnect/reconnect the battery the motor will spin for about 2 seconds while giving throttle and then throws the error code again. Also, the gtb2 gets warm while sitting still and connected to the battery.

If I connect the same motor, tekin redline 10.5, to my Tekin esc it works perfect so it cant be the motor and the receiver isn't broken either, i checked that.
And yes i did initialize the esc with my transmitter and bound it many times.

Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

On Novak's, that error is infamous. Generally related to a sensor issue so have you tried a new cable?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you're motor is getting hot sljust sitting there, it sounds like you've got your A B C wires crossed up there somewhere. Double check those.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MarkA
On Novak's, that error is infamous. Generally related to a sensor issue so have you tried a new cable?

Cant say i ever had that issue and i run the old GTB combo on my T4.1 and i run my sensored . The only issue i had was trying to get drag brake off and having to use min brake to get rid of it.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's a Novak common issue have a box with literally 10 non working gtb2 if the esc is getting hot I would almost guarantee you will have to send to Novak before you turn it into a melted pile of plastic
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys
Old 09-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'll be the guy to say I've never had a problem with any Novak speed controls and I've been using them exclusively for the last ~12 years.

I ran into this issue with the last GTB2 I bought. It was actually my motor that was causing the problem (a Trinity D3, for what that's worth). I found that when the timing cover for the motor was loosened, the problem went away. When the timing cover was tightened down, I would experience the same problem warnked is describing. I could "start" the motor by spinning the rotor manually and pulling on the trottle, but as soon as it stopped, it would not start again.

I disassembled the endbell (and contacted Trinity in the meantime) and after talking with Jim Deiter via email we determined that the three solder blobs that hold down the wiring inside the motor were built up just a little too high and were contacting with the screws that held the timing plate on. When they were loose, no contact. When they were tightened, they shorted out the stator. A little tape over the solder blobs fixed the problem.

Hope this helps somebody else!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68pontiac
I'll be the guy to say I've never had a problem with any Novak speed controls and I've been using them exclusively for the last ~12 years.

I ran into this issue with the last GTB2 I bought. It was actually my motor that was causing the problem (a Trinity D3, for what that's worth). I found that when the timing cover for the motor was loosened, the problem went away. When the timing cover was tightened down, I would experience the same problem warnked is describing. I could "start" the motor by spinning the rotor manually and pulling on the trottle, but as soon as it stopped, it would not start again.

I disassembled the endbell (and contacted Trinity in the meantime) and after talking with Jim Deiter via email we determined that the three solder blobs that hold down the wiring inside the motor were built up just a little too high and were contacting with the screws that held the timing plate on. When they were loose, no contact. When they were tightened, they shorted out the stator. A little tape over the solder blobs fixed the problem.

Hope this helps somebody else!

Hey, thanks for this input!
I was really hoping i wouldnt have to ship the esc back and pay for a fix. I will definitely take your advice and check this out!
I've been triple checking all my wires and connections and settings and nothing is out of the ordinary.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

You will have to send it off. I have had this happen to 2 havoc pro sc and a gtb2. I have had to send off everyone I have got and the gtb2 twice. Two of my havoc pros have ended up in fire balls. Novak has not been reliable at all for me.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

well, i tried the tip, backed off the screws on the endbell and had some better results. So i took the end off and could see some tiny black sputters of what looked like contact arcs. I placed elec. tap across the tabs and where i saw the arcing burns and it seemed to work for a few minutes more but gave me the "rotor lockout" error code again....i was able to reach full throttle many times before failure though.

I connected the gtb2 to my other thunderpower motor and spare sensor cable and got nothing out of it.

I think I'll be sending it back to novak.