Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JATO Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Default JATO Questions

I am seriously looking into the JATO to replace my aging XXX-NT RTR. Is there anyone out there with a JATO who has anything valuable to tell me before I go out and buy one? If it's crap, I don't want to make a mistake, and if it's good, I want to get one while their avalible. How reliable is the TRX 2.5 R? I am tired of wrenching on the stupid Dynamite MACH .15 in the Losi, and the worn O.S. .12 in my Kyosho, so much so that at this point, I could care less about performance, if I can find a motor that can withstand a gallon or more of fuel without needing a total overhaul, I'll go for it. I am just tired of wasting time on the workbench, and want to start spending time on the track. Any comments regarding anything JATO? Also, how does it compare to the REVO, those are sweet also. I started a project a while ago with a Rustler tranny and a 550 motor with associated shocks and a bit of scrap aluminum, and called it the REVI, or electric REVO. It has been put on hold for a while, but I have the rockers the way I want them. Anyway, anything at all anyone has to say about either truck, I'd love to hear it, good or bad. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good truck overall, but don't expect to go racing with it out of the box, because it is illegal to do so in a serious competition. The truck violated the dimensions requirement, and the 2 speed doesn't help either. The TRX engine is very reliable, and easy to tune. IF you are just getting it for bashing, you'll find it has more than enough power for you.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

It's over the ROAR dimension requirement? I thought it was only the 3.8 wheels, the s speed, and the .15 engine that put it over! Not that I care, I mean I race electric, so I do just want to bash the JATO, but that's suprising.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
It's over the ROAR dimension requirement? I thought it was only the 3.8 wheels, the s speed, and the .15 engine that put it over! Not that I care, I mean I race electric, so I do just want to bash the JATO, but that's suprising.
I believe the Jato's width violates ROAR's limit, but then again I haven't check the regulations in a while, so I might be wrong. And yes, the wheels, transmission and engine size does make it also violate other rules.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

I see you also own a REVO, which do you like better, and which truck gave you more dun for your dollar? Thank you for all your help so far by the way.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I bought one not sure about the dimension requirements the wheels are a problem but rustler wheels will work on it and the two speed but they are coming out with a single speed for it the 2.5 is a great motor but it has alot of power for a ST and you can get rid of all the electric start stuff and use a starter box if you want you just have to grind the pin off the crank and get a different motor plate and there are two spacers in the motor mount the you will need to remove and that will drop the motor down so you can use box to start it I will give you more info when I have time to take the truck to the track and get some tires for it
Old 06-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
I see you also own a REVO, which do you like better, and which truck gave you more dun for your dollar? Thank you for all your help so far by the way.
I drive both equally, and the JATO is a blast on a tight off-road track whereas the Revo pretty much goes where the JATO can't -- such as rock-climbing and extremely wet and muddy conditions. If I have to pick one, I'd prefer the Revo because it is virtually unstoppable in any terrain. Plus, the JATO is hard to run on asphault because of its 2WD configuration. If you want to run it on pavement, either loosen up the slipper clutch or take it easy on take offs because you'll get a massive wheelspin and kill the rear tires quickly. I've had it for only 2 weeks and I already went through the first set.