Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1/8 electric not reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Are 1/8 electric not reliable?

I was watching the Neobuggy races on Youtube and noticed a lot of the 1/8 electric cars were stopping dead. These are the top guys at this race and it was a surprise to me to see so many failures.

Tebo was racing in one semi with around 10 drivers and had something go wrong with his car early in the race. The camera followed the car into the pits and his pit guy must have fixed it quickly. Battery change? who knows. It was only around 3 minutes into a 10 minute semi.

So Tebo "breaks" 3 minutes in and gets repaired for at least a minute and goes from dead last to finishing fifth in a 10 minute race. The reason he did so well was because a lot of the other cars were also having reliability issues.

One dead car was picked up by a crew member the side of the body pulled up and she reached in a did something, not sure what. Then she threw the car on the track and off it goes like nothing happened. What did she do in there to fix the car so quickly? Is there a reset button?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If you read tebo's blog, he mentions several times about how rough the track was on the cars - huge jumps and no good landing areas. His "break" was a broken switch flopping around - reasonably quick to fix.

I imagine the crew member turned the switch back on too. I've noticed on HW/Orion escs if you mount the switch a certain way you can switch the car off with bad landings.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvalis
If you read tebo's blog, he mentions several times about how rough the track was on the cars - huge jumps and no good landing areas. His "break" was a broken switch flopping around - reasonably quick to fix.

I imagine the crew member turned the switch back on too. I've noticed on HW/Orion escs if you mount the switch a certain way you can switch the car off with bad landings.
That's what they say publicly as to what happen but in reality they probably shut off from the esc getting too hot
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

1/8 ebuggy is the biggest growing class in rc right now this is a fact. From personal everyday experience I can assure you ebuggies are very reliable. If you can't drive or tame the beast then you will be rewarded with a nice repair bill. Even then its hard to break them. U have to do something horrific before worrying about a broken arm. In this case the track they raced on was intense. And it rewarded precise line driving.

Last edited by JasonR/C; 08-26-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It wasn't just electric cars breaking either. There was plenty of carnage in the nitro classes. Tebo had a fuel line get cut in one heat and broke the steering servo case in another due to the big hits. I can't believe Lutz didn't break anything coming up short on that huge quad he was doing lap after lap.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JasonR/C
1/8 ebuggy is the biggest growing class in rc right now this is a fact. From personal everyday experience I can assure you ebuggies are very reliable. If you can't drive or tame the beast then you will be rewarded with a nice repair bill. Even then its hard to break them. U have to do something horrific before worrying about a broken arm. In this case the track they raced on was intense. And it rewarded precise line driving.
No it's not. Most nitro guys look down on it and 1/10 guys think it a class for hacks
Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MX304
It wasn't just electric cars breaking either. There was plenty of carnage in the nitro classes. Tebo had a fuel line get cut in one heat and broke the steering servo case in another due to the big hits. I can't believe Lutz didn't break anything coming up short on that huge quad he was doing lap after lap.
Yeah, he came up short many times, I cringed when I heard that hard smack! When he did make it, it was a thing of beauty. I don't he gained much time even when he did make it.

I did like how he would single that huge double then basically use the second jump as a step up for the plateau. I think it was Tebo who was doing the same thing until he got plowed from a guy trying to make the huge double.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

what nitro guys? i havent seen any, actually i have. like 5. in the midwest ebuggy is blowing up. the only people who seem to disagree are the nitro guys. just ran a points race this past sat at the biggest rc track in the midwest. ebuggy heat full, nitro heat half full. not dogging nitro at all i love it trust me, i fly nitro and gas planes. but nitro is on the decline. electric is running past em
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by silvalis

Yeah that track did look tough but I noticed a lot more failures with the electric cars more than the nitro cars as a whole. Maybe it is because the electrics are faster and the racers were going bigger. I know going big hurts sometimes.

I think Tebo should invest in what ever switch Lutz was using.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JasonR/C
what nitro guys? i havent seen any, actually i have. like 5. in the midwest ebuggy is blowing up. the only people who seem to disagree are the nitro guys. just ran a points race this past sat at the biggest rc track in the midwest. ebuggy heat full, nitro heat half full. not dogging nitro at all i love it trust me, i fly nitro and gas planes. but nitro is on the decline. electric is running past em
Out here in Taiwan it's all nitro! I only saw a few electric 1/8 at the last big race. Also Truggy is really not popular here. I have seen 2 at the track so far. Everyone (for the most part) is running 1/8 nitro at my local track.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
No it's not. Most nitro guys look down on it and 1/10 guys think it a class for hacks
Not in this area. Nitro car counts are on the decline and E-Buggy is way up and it is not a hack class. In fact a lot of guys tired of the hacking in short course are coming over to the e-buggies.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No, you're thinking of 4wd shortcourse.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Are you sure about that one think you are wrong. Its usually the 4wd SC class they think of however in my case on big outdoor tracks its not that bad however you do get the guys that do not have much exprience and tend to be hacks.

Last edited by tc5 man; 08-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Prophet

As for 1/8 Scale E/Buggy not being reliable for what ive seen there pretty reliable these days . Nitro Buggy has been picking up more this year but weekend to weekend E/buggy have a stronger class for sure.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
No, you're thinking of 4wd shortcourse.
They are usually the same guys running both 4wd shortcourse and 1/8 electric. Very few people running either of the two look like they can control either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.