Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the need for speed !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 12:28 AM
Tech Rookie

the need for speed !!

i just got myself a orbital pro bb 17T triple to go into my offroad dirt thrasher.

i have a few questions if anyone will be kind enough to answer;

i am competing agains two other friends who also have the same car with different motors, all around the 16, 17t mark.

1. is a 19pinion a good option for straight speed

2. by lowering the cars centre of gravity, will this give me more speed.

3. i used silicon spray on my gears and bearings, is this good.

4. i am desperatly looking for other ways of speeding my car up any more ideas!!

cheers,
oztexs
Old 08-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Don't know much about the Dirt Thrasher, but I'll try and help a bit

1. Bigger pinion = more top speed - but other ways to get the most out of your motor is to make sure your wiring is good, and your motor is kept clean - I hope you have an electronic speed controller - the more expensive electronic speed controllers have lower resistance, which helps speed - also, matched, quality batteries perform better than cheap stick packs. If you're using Tamiya-style white block connectors, change them for something with lower resistance and better power handling like a Deans connector. And if you're using bullet connectors to hook up the motor, change to a directly soldered link. And solder the motor brushes on to the endbell, instead of using the screw-on tabs.

2. Lower c of g gives better handling (in general), but makes no difference to speed. Lowering the cars weight will improve speed though.

3. I assume that was lubricating silicone spray - it should be ok for the surface of the gears, but i wouldn't use it on the bearings. Upgrade the kit bushings to ballraces if you haven't already.

4. Basically, a well-maintained car is a fast car. I get much more fun out of racing a car around corners as well (there's nothing as satisfying as using a slow car that's well driven to prove a point to a fast car that's badly driven) - perhaps that could be next thing for you and your friends?
Old 08-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the info dude !

also i wanted to know if a schotkky diode across the motor makes a difference ?

thanks again, and btw we are going to race around the track but we just want to settle this bet to prove who has the fastest car over 30meters (100Ft)

cheers
Old 08-26-2002, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

only use a schotkky diode with a non-reversing esc.