Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Computer power supply

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Computer power supply

I use a 250 watt 12v power supply (10A) to convert AC to DC to charge my 3300 batteries. Anybody ever used these ? I use the yellow + wires and the black - wires. The red wires are 5 volts. I got the power supply at a used computer store for $5.00.
HAPPY RACIN
Rick Harris
Old 06-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Tech Rookie

i was thinking the same thing ... but how do you get it to run ? they are switched by the motherboard .... if you just plug in a pc power supply to the wall without anything else connected ... it will not run ...
Old 06-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I do also. They work a bit better for four cell packs than 6 cell packs. Unless you get up to around 350-400 watt power supplies. The input voltage drops down when you get towards the end of a 6 cell charge cycle. At least for me. But you can't beat it for the price. I like making them out of the older ones, not the newer style ones. The newer ones are a pain.

To get the newer ones to run, you need to jumper the I believe it's the oragne and a ground wire in the big 20 row connector. I think those are the two wires, its been awhile. Without doing that it won't work. And then you can't just cut all the wires off at once and put those two together. Some of them need to go together and stay together. It's really a pain in the butt to figure out. Really need to cut one wire at a time and try it out. The older style supplies are MUCH more simple.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have used one for over a year, to convert it look here http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2129 you need to load up the PSU with a bulb or resistor to get any power from it.