Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to switch 4x4 SC brand

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Looking to switch 4x4 SC brand

So Ive decided to change from my Slash 4x4 to something else. Im pretty well open to everything. I only have one stipulation. I want to be able to retain my Sidewinder SCT system. So whatever i get needs to be under 6.5 pounds. What do you guys recommend based on my needs?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ha ha! Here come a bunch of opinions all with good reasons.

Basics, do you run on tight indoor high bite dirt or even carpet? Loose blown out outdoor?
I think most will suggest the scte 2.0 or the Tekno rightfully so. But then you are probably lacking in the power system and lipo department.

So to have the best sct right now, you may need to step up your power system. If you run a tight, small indoor track, you may want to look at either of the AE 4x sct's that you can get away with running a lower end power system.
Sky 40c lipo's probably are not up to the task of a high power over 6.5# truck, so there's more money to spend.

Kinda can't have your cake and eat it too in this situation.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Addict

Ill be running mostly loose dirt. with some running on Medium bite. Hardly any High bite.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

From my experience one of the heavies will out perform a light in that situation... onto upgrading your power system if you don't want to compromise.
Assuming outdoor.

Sell the castle system for $100 if you can and get a hobbywing 3656sd SCT combo for $200.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

Tlr scte 2.0 or tekno sct...now the final decision is up to you
Old 08-10-2013, 04:36 AM
dtr
Tech Master

I have run the Castle sct combo in a Losi SCTE for two years, until something happened last week during a firmware upgrade and can't get it to start or work under load until it revs up. The most important is having a big fan over the fans (I used a 2$ 40mm fan from an electronics shop and it reduce esc temps to just barely above ambient.) The internal BEC is weak, so I either ran a airtronics 94358 in low traction conditions or a hv servo soldered directly to the esc power plugs. You must also put a thick layer of foam (3 or 4 layers of double sided tape) under it to protect the esc-rx cable.
You need not hurry to upgrade to the hobbywing sct combo.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The electronics you want to use are really the limiting factor here. For a loose track, as mentioned, a heavier truck is generally better. I think the first step you should take is sell the electronics and grab a nice Tekin setup or if on a budget, the Hobbywing setup.

Then, you have some options. I personally run the Tekno so I'm a little biased. The Losi SCTE 2.0 is just as competitive and both have been proven. The SCTE will offer better parts support, and typically more common at tracks. The Tekno is a smaller company, and build quality is typically better but there's going to be less parts suppprt locally, so you'll have to make sure to keep some spares on hand. If you do go the Tekno route I'd be more than willing to help with a setup for those conditions as would many others in the Tekno thread here on RcTech.

Either way, one of these two trucks are going to be your best bet. Both are just as competitive.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Yep 2 conflicting ideas, the best 4x4 out are the Tekno and Losi, all others are really crap unless your name is Ryan Lutz or Mayfield. I would wait until you had money to upgrade your power system too, that sidewinder will melt in those trucks at the tracks I race at, definitely won't make 10 minute mains in those heavy trucks.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

anyone know if the LCG slashes are any better than the older ones. Mine is HCG no sway bars or center diff.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not much better, its still a slash.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Heck man both of them trucks people mention are better than a 4x4 Slash LCG one or not for racing.

As for Electronics ive ran a Brushless Hobbies LT4 120 amp ESC (Hobbywing copy) and its been fine in my 1.0 SCTE. For the motor i run a 401 Tenshock 4600kv on 2s cells . I dont pay a whole lot for lipos i go with G-Force Lipos and Vant lipos which are pretty good.

If you want more support at the track or LHS than for sure the 2.0 SCTE is the way to go. Tekno 4x4 SC is not bad i like the way it drove but if your just starting out with a 4x4 SC in racing its not the best route yet.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

we did a Slash LCG shootout last summer. Our pro "stig" turned similar laptimes with the Slash as to what he did in his full on race SCTE 1.0 (at that time). Any truck you sink enough money into is going to compete.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

i'd do the LCG conversion (stormer has it for like $50!) and get a decent set of tires. LCG makes a huge difference. A local hot shoe runs a box stock LCG slash 4x4 and puts laps on lots of SCTE's (1 and 2.0 along with some MIP conversions), Teknos, and SC10's.

I have (and race) a 1.0 and its a great truck but don't sell the slash short. Upgrade the electronics and the LCG conversion (the center diff helps alot as well) and see what you have.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by godofcable
we did a Slash LCG shootout last summer. Our pro "stig" turned similar laptimes with the Slash as to what he did in his full on race SCTE 1.0 (at that time). Any truck you sink enough money into is going to compete.

Well yea but thats the thing you need to add a good amount of money to a 4x4 Slash to make it competive and doing a good amount of setups. To me its not worth it but if you think your a good enough driver than it could run with the racer type 4x4 SC.

I used to run a 2wd Slash and i put a good amount of money into it with the LCG conversion kit with the Rustler chassis in a Protek kit i got tried of chaseing setups on it to get it to handle right and be competive so i just sold it.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Well yea but thats the thing you need to add a good amount of money to a 4x4 Slash to make it competive and doing a good amount of setups. To me its not worth it but if you think your a good enough driver than it could run with the racer type 4x4 SC.

I used to run a 2wd Slash and i put a good amount of money into it with the LCG conversion kit with the Rustler chassis in a Protek kit i got tried of chaseing setups on it to get it to handle right and be competive so i just sold it.
You're talking apples and oranges. 2wd is way different. The 2wd slash is much heavier than its competition. Both the SSC and the Team RCE slashes we built were right around the 6 lbs mark. Which is as light as any kit out there. You can get yourself an SSC and bolt on stock parts and do well. We proved it. The RCE needs the better shocks, but is also a great option. You would be spending less to get either of those chassis than if you bought a whole new truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.