Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stuff I didn't use in my last two kits:

SC10.2
- body
- wheels

B4.2
- body
- wheels

In general - I think tires are useless to include in a race kit. Wheels are iffy - I don't use yellow 1/10 buggy wheels so those are useless to me. Associated's SC10 body I don't use but I could see lots of people running the Bulldog body in the B4.2.

Losi includes the TLR high performance bodies in their SC kits and those are one of the most popular bodies now.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommy911t
With "touring cars" able to be built for a variety of classes allowing the owner to get any muscle car or touring or GT1/2/3 and race a variety of spec tires and choose which wheel widths... WHY would a manufacturer offer any thing BUT a "slider"

The racers have chosen the rule set, we have done this to ourselves.

I like it and appriciate Tamiya F1 offerings but would love a TRF101 without even spoilers!

We have told the companies that we will race whatever the fast guys are so if Proline or Protoform or FTW or JC decides they have designed what wins, and the setup sheet says cab forward, then guess what every body without a cab forward is worth? Nothing. And any company trying to sell a "complete" kit with useless tires and now bodies... well we asked for it.

I love it all and again, great thread.

BTW,

Average gas prices 1990: $1.09/Gal
RC10T 1990: $335.00 (MSRP, $179-189 street prices)

Average gas prices now: $4/gal
RC10T4.2 now: $279.99

RC IS AWESOME RIGHT NOW!!!
He is pretty close with that!
Comparing 1990 dollars to 2013 dollars is where the rub is, TRULY comparing apples to oranges!

Here I did the conversion for you

1990:
Gas:$1.09/gal
RC10T: $325.92 (converted into todays money! I even used the LOWER $179)

2013:
Gas: $4/gal
RC10T4.2: $279.99

So yeah, he is spot on!

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm
Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

But to add to the discussion:
If a body is in a kit, I always use it!
If only used as a practice body

If there are tires, usually not
That is more track specific

If there are wheels in a kit I generally use them
SCT wheels I would use, ST wheels I would use , and buggy I still have
my B4.2 wheels in the bag (I use Avid wheels on it)

But would I pay MORE for a vehicle that didn't include these items when compared to comparable cars? If the vehicles quality was that much better, yeah!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tommy911t
We have told the companies that we will race whatever the fast guys are so if Proline or Protoform or FTW or JC decides they have designed what wins, and the setup sheet says cab forward, then guess what every body without a cab forward is worth? Nothing. And any company trying to sell a "complete" kit with useless tires and now bodies... well we asked for it.

BTW,

Average gas prices 1990: $1.09/Gal
RC10T 1990: $335.00

Average gas prices now: $4/gal
RC10T4.2 now: $279.99

RC IS AWESOME RIGHT NOW!!!
you are right, the companies are only giving us what we demanded, and if we're not getting what we want we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I've never ever had a car in which I used the kit tires, so I don't want to pay for them. So they're not includes is good by me.
I've got too many weird colored wheels I'll never use, that don't match my paint schemes, so if I never got another includes set of wheels it would be no sweat off my back either.
Bodies? I know those cost the mfg. money to have made, and I often have my own preference.anyway, so if they don't include one it doesn't bother me either.

Anybody complaining about price hasn't been in the hobby long, because compared to 20 years ago, if you factor in inflation, today is THE MOST AWESOME TIME TO BE IN RC.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

XB9E- with no tires or body = $499 on Stormer
Losi 3.0E - with body and rims I think $670
This is such a dumb thing to complain about on $1k+ vehicles
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can only speak for myself on this, but for me it has absolutely nothing to do with money. It's the annoyance of having to find a body that fits, that is in stock somewhere, before being able to run the car. With the XB9E, the only body that fits properly is the jconcepts finisher body for the 2012 spec nitro xb9, which looks like a retarded tractor. It's not like there are a ton of choices. There is currently one choice of body that truly fits. FTW makes one that kind of fits, but not really well. XRAY don't even make a shell for it yet. I can't go into any of my LHSs to pick up a body for this car. None of them have one.

I've never had a kit include tires in it, ever. If some do, well that does seems like a pretty useless thing to include.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

i think its fine not to include stuff like tires, rims, and even a body- but only if the price was lower.

i would want a kit that came with no rims, tires, body, bearings, and stuff like that and if it would be 100 bucks lower then it would be worth it. but only if companies would make a body that fits and a variety of quality bearing sets. (like avid)