Wiki Posts
Search

no tires, no wheels and now..no body in the kits? tell us what you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default RTR

Respectfully, I disagree with this being an issue.

This is nothing new, just a new type of car experiencing it. 12th scale onroad boxes have always been smaller than the cars themselves! No body, no wheels etc.

1/8th off road has had alot of RTR to keep it going and to introduce new drivers. It should be expected that they are going to offer less, to the racer that wants specifics.

The manufacturers are keeping it fresh. Allowing our painters and tire companies to give us the latest available.

Kit supplied bodies and tires are great when when you need to sell last years kit "With box, manuals, and unpainted body"

Good conversation topic none the less
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

for SC's, i like what losi does. they provide a body and two sets of wheels, no tires, but the fact my tekno SCT410 didn't come with a body, wheels or tires was not a big deal to me personally as i had tons of wheels and tires from my losi rigs. to a guy who is getting into the hobby or getting into this class, yeah it's a bit of a pain. one solution would be to provide another kit that had those things, but the problem with that is it would raise the price even for the customers that opt for the kit without those things (either another box or a bigger box which costs more money to make as well as ship).

but that is a completely different issue from what xray did. bodies are not standard in 1/8 buggy so to release a specific kit with no body is a bum deal IMO.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
If youve seen a "K" car then you could justify the price.
I have an issue with this. There is no way that a Kyosho is that much higher quality to justify a price that high. I've owned Kyosho cars, and I agree that they have very nice plastics and metals. The kit anodizing is sub par to say the least (based on my MP9 TKi3). It's fine if you want to spend the money and/or like Kyosho in general, but it gets old hearing about how godly Kyosho is and how spending over 1000$ on a car justifies the quality. I was under the impression that it would be "next level" compared to the brands I've used in the past, and I was disappointed. This is off topic, and I apologize in advance.

I think it's fine if kits do not come with wheels and tires. There are so many different combinations and choices for wheels and tires, I think it should be left to the consumer. I have all sorts of yellow wheels from building various 1/10 kits that I cannot and will not use.

The line should be drawn at wheels and tires though. A body and all other required parts should be included.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tommy911t
Respectfully, I disagree with this being an issue.

This is nothing new, just a new type of car experiencing it. 12th scale onroad boxes have always been smaller than the cars themselves! No body, no wheels etc.

1/8th off road has had alot of RTR to keep it going and to introduce new drivers. It should be expected that they are going to offer less, to the racer that wants specifics.

The manufacturers are keeping it fresh. Allowing our painters and tire companies to give us the latest available.

Kit supplied bodies and tires are great when when you need to sell last years kit "With box, manuals, and unpainted body"

Good conversation topic none the less
If the bodies were interchangeable...why not. But in 1/8 buggy, they aren't

I still don't see a good reason why a brand would sell a car with less parts each year, the price remaining the same. The question isn't about needing the parts or not, as I said before it's about providing less for a higher cost
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

I am fine with supplying my own wheels and tires. But I expect a body, just because all bodies don't fit the same. The manufacturers body should set the standard for comparison and it should come with the kit. Aftermarket bodies have varying battery clearances and even the widths can vary up to an inch.

Next thing you know, we'll have to supply our own screws and bearings.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i dont care about tires in a kit as you choose the type of tires that work where you race.

but at least one set of wheels and a unpainted body should be included. IMO
Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I also agree that at least 1 set of wheels and a body should come with a kit.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wheels and tires are no biggie for me. SCT body really isn't either. Buggies and truggies usually have a limited selection of bodies, e-buggies even more so. Not including a body is unacceptable. Releasing a new car with no body even made for it yet is crazy.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pulse_
so we get less for the same price but everything is fine
Yup and it will only get worse! Over the years I've seen people come and go from the hobby due to the increased cost v.s. bad economy.I totally understand a corporate need to squeeze out every penny but when a track closes or you only have 4 other cars in your class that's why.I know some of you internet tough guys are gonna try to have my head for taking this topic this far but overall cost is the real issue.Yeah ok some people prefer white wheels to yellow wheels but then you trade them at the track or use them to run in the yard or whatever.I love rc car racing but cost is the main factor in tracks closing and low turnouts at races.These companies will save money and jack up the price of a kit if they can because nobody can do anything about it.I know I'd rather get a body,wheels,and tires thank you.And please don't come at me with the rtr argument because I still haven't seen one with a viable 17.5 or anything to go racing right outta the box so they do not count! Now let me have it online thugs!!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Personally, I have chosen more complete, less expensive kits for the same reasons you are all pointing out.

The obvious answer, to me, is to vote with your dollar.

Support the companies that are "in tune" with your ideas.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think it depends on the type of kit. In an entry-level kit intended for bashing or backyard racing everything should be included. Race kits are a little different though. I don't really care if a kit comes with tires or shock oil because what they give you doesn't normally work anyways. Although, I think every kit should come with a body and a set of wheels (I like what tlr does with 2 sets of wheels and no tires). Even if I don't like the body that comes on a certain kit I will still use it until I can purchase my body of choice and get it out to a painter. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's okay for a company to not include certain things as long as they adjust the price accordingly. It's a different story though if the price is not adjusted.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommy911t
Respectfully, I disagree. 12th scale onroad boxes have always been smaller than the cars themselves! No body, no wheels etc. Good conversation topic none the less
You had to remind us of that... and rightfully so 12th is a different game.
In any scale I want a body, especially if it's a new release. Rims ? yes, unless it's an almost universal fit (sc and 1/8th) where i can go into any lhs and get them. Price ? well... we can whine about that in pretty much every facet of life.
The xb9 didn't come with a body ?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Default No Prob

No Tires...
No Body...
No Problem!

J/K

-Tommy
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Granted, I am new and this is only my second post- but I fail to see this being a problem. I rarely like an OE body offered enough to run it often, and in the case of my on road cars, I probably have a dozen bodies if not more set up for them. Hell, my last D-spec build came with an m3 body- and it sits unpainted, while it's had a host of other ones. I mean for a basher, yeah you want a lid and some skids. BUT- if you're building a whole hog custom rig- why worry about the OE giving you a stamped piece of plastic? Same goes for wheels. I have DOZENS of sets of a/m wheels, and my OE ones collect dust. Maybe it's just me, but I rarely leave something stock.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

lol, one more reason to not buy an xray!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.