Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3d printers for making parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default 3d printers for making parts

I am curious if anyone has tried using a 3d printer to make replacement parts. There are some instances where I think it would be very beneficial to make replacement parts of superior material. Suspension arms, shock towers, and chassis plates are a few examples that come to mind.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

go to the JQ products site and read the story thats how he made prototypes and he explains it and it wasnt strong enough but he did find a stronger material but not suitable for racing but that was for 8th im not sure what you want
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MajorKong
I am curious if anyone has tried using a 3d printer to make replacement parts. There are some instances where I think it would be very beneficial to make replacement parts of superior material. Suspension arms, shock towers, and chassis plates are a few examples that come to mind.
I know Marcus with rcshox uses 3d printing to make his pistons
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I dont know much about 3D printing but I do know that JQ did all of his prototyping and testing for The Car using parts made with a 3D printer. Edit- Looks like AV4625 beat me to it!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...rc-future.html
Old 08-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If it's additive manufacturing like most 3D printers, I wouldn't use it for anything beyond printing and fitting a conceptual part. Maybe if it was a completely non-structural part that's not subject to stress? Even if the constituent material is "superior" in theory, when you build them up in layers they end up being very brittle (in my experience).

I'm sure we're not far from viable parts, though. Technology moves fast and I may have missed some developments.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

3D printers can be used to make parts out of castable materials. Depending on the part it can easily be made from 3D to metal. Or for that matter laser sintered directly.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

As mentioned above the materials aren't quite right yet. I have one and make some non structural parts; swaybar mounts, esc mounts, cases, shock stands, ect. It can work for prototype stuff, but not race parts.
There are nylons that are extremely rip resistant but have to much flex.
ABS is usable for project type rc. Similar to like a Tamiya type plastic.
PLA is decent too but a little to hard.
I'm sure a plastic could be developed to be workable with some r&d. It's just not there yet.

I use it a lot for mold making. I also have been trying some shock pistons. Haven't had any breakage failures yet. I wish I could get more track time to test stuff.