Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger S3 v Xray XB8 v Mugen MBX5 Prospec v Kyosho 777 Special 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Switch Blade
I know nothing about 1/8 scale buggies really, but maybe you culd take a look at the nosram .21. Reading one of the british rc mags I found that they are doing pretty well. Not saying it is the best...but just a sugestion to broden your choices.
i know the main drivers for the mirage team in the UK & only one of them has been using th Nosram engine with average results, the main driver who was promised then engines hasn't even got one yet! he's had to supply his own engines for this year!
its basically a rebadged SH so i've been told, so if you want one but want to save some money just get an SH

personally i'd rather stick with Italian engines
Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brad8283
windellmc,
I know what you are getting at but some people are not as fortunate to shell out the extra $100 for a car. That $100 could be used to purchase an engine. Also, parts for the Kyoshos, Mugens, and Xrays are expensive. Case in point, the Jammin uses the same arms front and rear and they come in a pack of two for like 12 bucks, while the kyosho has different arms front and rear and each cost over 10 bucks same for the Mugen. I am not a national caliber racer so I went with the Jammin because one it got great reviews, parts are easy and inexpensive to come by, and third I can beat the crap out of some guys who have $1200 dollar set ups. I know a couple people say the Jammin is a cheap car, but Stephen Bess and the other guys at Xtreme RC car mag never mentioned anything about being cheap and I would take their word for it over forum recomendations. The only thing they said was how good this car was for the price and the only bad was that its so new that some hobby shops dont carry parts for it. I think some racers have an animosity towards it because they can not seem to fathom a new car competing with the beloved big two. Again I am not a full blown pro racer, I am a club racer, I like to save my money for things like hunting and beer for tailgaiting at LSU football games this season. Im a student with a low paying job and I have parents who think im an idiot for buying toy cars to race in the dirt. One last thing, most people that recommend a buggy and say that the Jammin cannot compete with the Kyosho and Mugen have no experience with the Jammin. Do not be scared of change, you dont have to get a Kyosho or Mugen to be the best.
Well put. I'm not a student myself anymore since I got out of college in '99 but I still have a low paying job . I have to maximize my spending too and I bought a used TTR S3 and will do what it takes to make it successful for me. It's tough to drop 500-800 bucks on a new kit. I think what determines how competitive a kit can be is the person behind the wheel. All of these cars are different and require different approaches at setting them up. Don't sweat your parents, do what makes you happy. My wife probably thinks i'm an idiot because of my hobbies but hey, she knows where the door is.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default motors

I have a RB C5 circuit in a hyper 7 w 2 speed and in a xb8 and the damn thing just rocks , that is just a small percent of the arsenal.

3x Traxxas t-maxxes
2x Ofna Hyper 7
2x Xray XB8
Kyosho nexus copter
2x eflite copters
Traxxas revo
Traxxas jato
Aero 3d trainer
4x clodbuster
Losi LST
Radios= JR R1, Spectrum synt, KoPropo Helios, JR X378 heli and plane, JR xr3i and 3.
Motors= RB C5 circuitx2, RB WS7, RB Econo, Picco Omega x3x2, RB23, Novarossi p5 race x3, Orion Wasp .28.
and plenty more.

Last edited by sherrc51; 08-28-2005 at 05:48 PM. Reason: picture
Old 08-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Brad8283 - Have you driven a 777 SP2? I'm not knocking the Jammin but the parts are not that much cheaper and to be honest the 777 rarely needs parts. 777 arms are about $9/pair. That is comparable to most vehicles out there. The Jammin is a good car but I have heard about the metal parts wearing out a little quicker than other brands. This may depend on how hard you drive the car though. If you want the best performance the SP2 is the best choice. If $100 is a big concern then the Jammin is probably better. If you are running $100 engines then you will probably not notice as much difference in the cars either.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by windellmc
Brad8283 - Have you driven a 777 SP2? I'm not knocking the Jammin but the parts are not that much cheaper and to be honest the 777 rarely needs parts. 777 arms are about $9/pair. That is comparable to most vehicles out there. The Jammin is a good car but I have heard about the metal parts wearing out a little quicker than other brands. This may depend on how hard you drive the car though. If you want the best performance the SP2 is the best choice. If $100 is a big concern then the Jammin is probably better. If you are running $100 engines then you will probably not notice as much difference in the cars either.
How much did Kyosho pay you to say all this?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

I don't know how many of you guys are aware of this, but honestly Kyosho parts are no longer expensive like they used to be. Kyosho no longer has Great Planes distribute their line in the US, and have dropped prices.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

windellmc-What does me driving a SP2 having to do with what I said? Yes, I have driven one and I cannot tell where the extra $150 went. Like I said, I am not some dude that races every weekend. I race occaionally because I have other things in life to worry about like hunting, fishing, LSU football, and a girlfriend. What I stated was a personal opinion that the Jammin was a perfect fit for me. I am about to graduate college, and money is important to me. I pay for all my hobbies, I dont get that extra money to spend on toys from mom and dad. Im glad you like your car so much, but to me its unecessary to fork over that extra money for it. The Jammin is a great car, I dont have any experience with the parts being cheaply made or like you stated, "I have heard about the metal parts wearing out a little quicker than other brands". Like I said before, people that bash the Jammin have no experience with it. Obviously you dont have experience with it because you only heard problems other people had with it. I have not have any problems with my car. I am not starting a thread war, because its gay and immature, but I just dont understand why people still think that Kyosho is the only good 1/8th scale buggy. Good luck with your buggy. Later.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Metal parts wearing quicker? You do realize that most buggies are made in the same factory? Don't judge a car by what you hear. We ran our Jammin for a few months before the shoot out and the only thing that technically wore was an outdrive that was replaced be Jammin and taken to see what happened, and I think we broke a CVD, which has happened with the Kyosho. The Jammin car is right up there with quality.

$100 is a big concern for lots of people and that's why it is a value. If you use that logic, there's no stopping. If yo pay $100 more why not another $100 after and so on, if there weren't cheaper quiality kits we'd all be paying way too much.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

My opinions on the Jammin came from drivers who have had extensive experience with Kyosho and Jammin. I trust the opinion as if it were my own. I know there are 3-4 manufacturers that make all the cars in Taiwan but that does not mean everything is made equally. I also know that our dirt in the Midwest is different than CA so you might see different kinds of damage/wear in a car than we do.

I even said if $100 is a big deal to someone then the Jammin is probably better for that person. Maybe you guys should read my entire post at some point. Derek your article said the same thing.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DerekB
Metal parts wearing quicker? You do realize that most buggies are made in the same factory? Don't judge a car by what you hear. We ran our Jammin for a few months before the shoot out and the only thing that technically wore was an outdrive that was replaced be Jammin and taken to see what happened, and I think we broke a CVD, which has happened with the Kyosho. The Jammin car is right up there with quality.

$100 is a big concern for lots of people and that's why it is a value. If you use that logic, there's no stopping. If yo pay $100 more why not another $100 after and so on, if there weren't cheaper quiality kits we'd all be paying way too much.
Why does price have to determine quality? You said yourself, most parts are made in one location and are marketed differently due to perceived quality based on brand name. A more expensive product doesn't always = better performing either.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
Why does price have to determine quality? You said yourself, most parts are made in one location and are marketed differently due to perceived quality based on brand name. A more expensive product doesn't always = better performing either.
Umm, I think you're saying the same thing. Price is a factor, not just because of the part, but what it takes to make that part. Kyosho, Mugen, Jammin, XRAY, OFNA all do lots of R&D so you pay more for their product than some of the "sport" buggies.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier

I beleive in TTR's case price does = low quality..... (e.g shock towers bend, ackerman, fuel tank problems etc etc)

but for all the other current generation buggies, they are all very strong, with the cheapest buggy, the Hyper7 being one of the strongest buggies out there...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

My opinions on the Jammin came from drivers who have had extensive experience with Kyosho and Jammin. I trust the opinion as if it were my own. I know there are 3-4 manufacturers that make all the cars in Taiwan but that does not mean everything is made equally. I also know that our dirt in the Midwest is different than CA so you might see different kinds of damage/wear in a car than we do.

I even said if $100 is a big deal to someone then the Jammin is probably better for that person. Maybe you guys should read my entire post at some point. Derek your article said the same thing.
I wasn't saying that part may wear different, but all parts wear. It's just a part of racing. But Like I said our buggy was one of the first and Bess ran that car a ton, with little damage.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Derek - It may be that the people I have talked to had an outdrive problem like your car did and it may have been an isolated incident.

AWOLsoldier - Just because parts are made in the same country or even in the same plant does not make those parts equal. I don't think I said anything about the parts being marketed by their "perceived" quality. I have noticed that perceived quality eventually lines up with actual quality. I hope you are happy with your car. I have owned most of the cars out there at one time or another so I do have some basis for my opinions.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Derek - It may be that the people I have talked to had an outdrive problem like your car did and it may have been an isolated incident.
It could be the few people that got a bad run you spoke with for sure. Lots of companies have had bad runs. They rely on a vendor sample and that can be different than the actual supplied part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.