Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy >

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Much easier to go zero with bladders and also keep in mind that no matter how you do it unless you are vented bladder your always going to have at least a little amount of rebound. A mistake that some people make when doing zero rebound emulsion is realizing that you must have air in the system for it to work properly , if you are building your emulsion shock with no air as soon as you start to build up heat or temps go up so will your rebound.
With that being said here is my technique:
  1. fill shock to the rim with shaft pulled all the way down
  2. let them sit for a few minutes
  3. remove bleed screw from the cap
  4. with the shock upright put the cap on all the way
  5. now lay the shock down at approximately 45* with the bleed hole facing upwards
  6. slowly push the shaft all the way up
  7. at this point you really should not have any oil coming out, if you do you have too much oil in the shock
  8. tighten down the bleed screw
  9. cycle the shaft about a dozen times and then push all the way up
  10. now open up the bleed screw and some pressure will be relieved
  11. tighten down the bleed screw again and you should be done.
Well now I am confused, I am mostly 8th scale but this isn't how I built the d413 shocks. does anyone have a link to a guide to building the d413 shocks using the bladders.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I built mine the same way I do my 1/8 shocks. On the first page there's a tip, to drill/ream small bleeder hole in sidewall of cap, just like the 1/8 caps have that side bleeder hole. The top hole I believe is more of a venting hole.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Much easier to go zero with bladders and also keep in mind that no matter how you do it unless you are vented bladder your always going to have at least a little amount of rebound. A mistake that some people make when doing zero rebound emulsion is realizing that you must have air in the system for it to work properly , if you are building your emulsion shock with no air as soon as you start to build up heat or temps go up so will your rebound.
With that being said here is my technique:
  1. fill shock to the rim with shaft pulled all the way down
  2. let them sit for a few minutes
  3. remove bleed screw from the cap
  4. with the shock upright put the cap on all the way
  5. now lay the shock down at approximately 45* with the bleed hole facing upwards
  6. slowly push the shaft all the way up
  7. at this point you really should not have any oil coming out, if you do you have too much oil in the shock
  8. tighten down the bleed screw
  9. cycle the shaft about a dozen times and then push all the way up
  10. now open up the bleed screw and some pressure will be relieved
  11. tighten down the bleed screw again and you should be done.
Thanks for the detailed description. I build them bladder style. I never thought you could have to much oil in the shock ? I will try and see if tuesday is a better shock building day. Thanks a lot for taking the time
Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I can never build bladder shocks evenly. Marcus had suggested bladder with the cap vented. I have never tried that, but I might try it once I get new bladders....since i chopped mine up. I know that is very popular with the tekno guys.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, going up will numb steering going in and give you more on power and exit steering. I wouldnt use dif fluids for steering characteristics, that can be controlled via, roll centers , camber,castor and toe. raising will give you less off power but toe out will take care of that since your only off power going into a turn.
Have done the rest with buggy...toe out for initial steering, higher roll center for responsiveness, 1degree more camber, more kick up ect... Just want to get buggy more consistent for my limited driving skills. I did not like the car out of the box so I am tuning for my bad habits, lol.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I can never build bladder shocks evenly. Marcus had suggested bladder with the cap vented. I have never tried that, but I might try it once I get new bladders....since i chopped mine up. I know that is very popular with the tekno guys.
I built the d413 shocks the same way I build Tekno shocks and they rebound 100% even when i build them with none. I built them as follows, mind you I used b5 caps so didnt ream a bleeder hole because I don't normally do it that way:

1.Fill shock body 90% w oil and let settle. etc..
2. Put shock shaft at desired rebound position (in my case i wanted none so shaft was only 1/4 inch exposed)
3. Fill rest of way w oil
4. Put bladder on
5. Pull shock shaft down to suck bladder on and hold shaft.
6. wipe excess oil,
7. put shock cap on

And done, this is how I build 8th scale shocks but as I said when I did the d413 shocks this way, there was 100% rebound.

I must say the kit seems to be of great quality so far but the instructions are sub par, especially when comparing to other brands, i.e. tekno
Old 10-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Graham11
I built the d413 shocks the same way I build Tekno shocks and they rebound 100% even when i build them with none. I built them as follows, mind you I used b5 caps so didnt ream a bleeder hole because I don't normally do it that way:

2. Put shock shaft at desired rebound position (in my case i wanted none so shaft was only 1/4 inch exposed)
4. Put bladder on
6. wipe excess oil,
7. put shock cap on

And done, this is how I build 8th scale shocks but as I said when I did the d413 shocks this way, there was 100% rebound.

I must say the kit seems to be of great quality so far but the instructions are sub par, especially when comparing to other brands, i.e. tekno
isnt 100% rebound a bit much?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
isnt 100% rebound a bit much?
sorry if it wasnt clear but i said they rebound 100% even when i build them with none, meaning I build them with no rebound. I want zero rebound and even when I build them that way it still has 100%
Old 10-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Prophet

sorry if it wasnt clear but i said they rebound 100% even when i build them with none, meaning I build them with no rebound. I want zero rebound and even when I build them that way it still has 100%
Ah, so you are saying the HB shock are a pain in the a$$. I have found these shocks a little harder to build than the tlr22 or B5 shocks. Those are very easy to build emulsion zero rebound. The HB shocks still give me 4-5mm of rebound unless I bleed them a couple times like Marcus said.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Prophet

I am so looking forward to after market d413 pistons. This car has been out about a year and I am surprised by the limited aftermarket parts. No one has made shock caps, arm stiffeners, pistons or anything else really. Avid will have a chassis out shortly. Which I plan to try. I wonder if shock caps are hard to make? Or maybe it is because of the d413 mount needing to be replaces as well. I would also love to see new center diff mounts that let you pull the diff up and out.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...AAAnd, why doesn't anyone have these in stock? I got lucky and got on from rc madness for 470! Ouch! But I wanted it. Aftermarket parts support is non existent, have 2 requests in for Avid chassis'. Been using B5 shock caps, TLR pistons and running 53 dollar stiffeners. Where is the support?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by buyselltradeevy
...AAAnd, why doesn't anyone have these in stock? I got lucky and got on from rc madness for 470! Ouch! But I wanted it. Aftermarket parts support is non existent, have 2 requests in for Avid chassis'. Been using B5 shock caps, TLR pistons and running 53 dollar stiffeners. Where is the support?
The Avid chassis will be out shortly.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Well now I am confused, I am mostly 8th scale but this isn't how I built the d413 shocks. does anyone have a link to a guide to building the d413 shocks using the bladders.
You(or someone did anyway!) asked how to build with zero rebound and this is how its done!! all i do everyday is build RC shocks (get it RCShox)

Originally Posted by ColourGhost
Thanks for the detailed description. I build them bladder style. I never thought you could have to much oil in the shock ? I will try and see if tuesday is a better shock building day. Thanks a lot for taking the time
the definition of emulsion built shocks is the mixture of air with oil, if you have too much oil and not enough air where is "emulsion" taking place?

4. Put bladder on
6. wipe excess oil,
7. put shock cap on

thats 100% rebound your not going to want that for sure.

The car i use for testing has shocks built this way and they are zero rebound, since 2 stage pistons create their own rebound i have no need for pressure rebound built into the shock. One thing that is over looked is heat, no matter how you build your shock as soon as you start running laps heat builds up and the oil expands which increases your pressure rebound and there is nothing you can do about this which is why i prefer bladder built shocks, unfortunately the guy that loaned me his car cur the bladders so i am forced to run emulsion.

Wildcat, 2 stage pistons are pretty much done and flats are coming soon as well as something i am drawing up now that the car drastically needs!! I am about to machine it now and will post up on facebook tomorrow!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ColourGhost

Your welcome, lots of way to skin a cat this is just my spin on it. I can promise i have built more shocks than most can even imagine, you tend to pick up on little things along the way.

Bladder style is almost the same except i leave about 10mm of the shaft exposed and then put the cap on. vented bladder the same way . hands down vented bladder is the most consistent way to build a shock. This is how all on road cars are done and for good reason!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Prophet

so you leave 10mm of the shaft exposed with the oil level, then put the bladder on and then pull the shaft out and put the cap on. Marcus, seems like a good video for you to post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.