Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I might have to get back into 4mod with this car
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jpm1
Can anyone tell me who's been involved in the testing what works better for low-med indoor clay, shorty or saddles, I figures the saddles would be heavier and give more rear grip?

Justin
Ty and myself have been doing most of the testing. saddles just makes the car less nimble. if you want more rear weight bias with shorties you can mount the battery in the rear-most position. with shorties there is also so much space to mount the esc - you can mount it all the way up front across the servo (Ty's setup) or all the way in the back behind the motor (my setup).

for a loose track though i'd play with the diff oils first rather than going to a heavier saddle setup.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jpm1
I understand it takes time to get the kit, manual and setups correct for sale and would prefer to wait a cpl of months so that it's perfect, Torrance has already said there won't be a stock spur gear available at launch, is there plans to have one available soonish after release or is there another option to modify an existing spur from another manufacturer? I would doubt it because of the centre diff option :-(

Justin
a 17.5 or slower stock 4wd class is quite rare. i'm going to wait and see how this class develops to see whether we'll need a smaller spur gear. usually when there is a stock class it's 13.5 which should work with the kit 72T spur.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Deguzman
Ty and myself have been doing most of the testing. saddles just makes the car less nimble. if you want more rear weight bias with shorties you can mount the battery in the rear-most position. with shorties there is also so much space to mount the esc - you can mount it all the way up front across the servo (Ty's setup) or all the way in the back behind the motor (my setup).

for a loose track though i'd play with the diff oils first rather than going to a heavier saddle setup.
Thanks for the answer Torrance, appreciate the support.

Cheers Justin
Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

a 17.5 or slower stock 4wd class is quite rare. i'm going to wait and see how this class develops to see whether we'll need a smaller spur gear. usually when there is a stock class it's 13.5 which should work with the kit 72T spur.
We run 17.5 stock here in Australia, at my local track we chase a FDR of 5.70-6.00, maybe slightly lower will be ok with this buggy running a shorty and being light, maybe we can add a little more end bell timing to get the speed and drop a little bit of torque/punch.

Cheers Justin
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pullinteef
I'm sure Ty could've turned some much faster laps than he did but when you're in the lead you don't push too hard. Everyone else had to make up ground and were pushing hard, obviously leading to more mistakes. Ty did exactly what you should do when in the lead.
i think he chose a longer lasting tire compound instead of the faster one just to make sure he can finish strong. he and Gord left the tire selection till the very last minute. very tough call to make.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

hmmm dual shorties huh? i think it would fit. you'd need a second shorty battery tray & strap for the left side (the kit already comes with two pairs of posts). you can then use the battery tray as a template to drill one additional hole on the left side of chassis (needs to be countersunk at the bottom). or you can borrow a buddy's chassis and line them up back to back to transfer the shorty holes to the left.

a low profile servo would probably be needed to make room for the esc, then the receiver can be mounted on the upper deck.

you'd want to wire the batteries in parallel to keep the voltage in the 7.4v range. if you wire them in series like normal saddles.... oh man fasten your seatbelts.
Please, only reason is for 4s speed madness.... and the buggy will handle it fine cause it's a 3 metal diff rc!
I drive smaller rc's 1/14 and 1/16 with 4s in agressive racing speed runs and until now no wear or breakage from 4s and neu's, using always the ESC's programability to smooth throthle, and not bashing them! :P

2 shorty baterys in there are very easy to do by the look of pics... cause car ins't came out yet....And the second one i could just drill a 2 holes and ziptye her....

I know the race world only needs 2s and drive them all day long on 2s which is fine...but i am on the hobbie for speed and that's my driving style on rc's!

The idea of a wider or taller body might be interesting for clear....

But defenitly a low porfile servo... by the way this on pics is a normal servo right?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ppascho
First of all this is a very very interesting car and I am looking forward to its launch...
A question to Terrence, how will the arms hinge pins holders hold?
My terminology might not be accurate but I mean the pieces where the arms hinge pins are screwed to the bulkheads.
My beloved Cat SX3 is particularly weak at that point, very often bending screws, and I see with great interest that this magnificent new car has more or less the same concept. Appreciate your input on testing done so far..
sorry for the late reply I had been in nitro 1/8 mode the past few weeks. anyway the arm mounts are similar to some touring car designs but instead of just a plain hinge pin this uses a long bolt style pin with a nut on the end. just a smaller version of what we used on the D812.

on some hard hits the screw that connects the arm mount to the gearbox can bend. but I think that's an acceptable trade off because when the screw bends from an impact it absorbs a lot of energy, thus saving the arms and other parts from breakage. and since screws are the cheapest component i don't mind sacrificing them. usually it only happens to the FF mounts.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was so hoping to have this car by cactus....

Oh well....I'll be here patiently waiting.

Still pretty stoked though!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

whats the testing been like on low to med traction outdoors and indoors? shorty probably the best for this application and tuning with diff oils instead of saddle pack weight?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I thought we were going to get a definitive date once these were on the boat from Asia. I would think that they would have to be on the boat by now to make an end of March date.

So can we get more details at this point? Or at the very least, preorder capabilities at some stores? Or maybe even the manual so that we have something to read over. I would think we could get more details by now instead of "it's coming".
Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have no idea exactly when...
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by boudin4evr
whats the testing been like on low to med traction outdoors and indoors? shorty probably the best for this application and tuning with diff oils instead of saddle pack weight?
yes.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEBMZ
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

late april?

i do like the price though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.