Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree31Likes

Old 01-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #10981
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2be View Post
Yes on spring cups.
Thanks for the info I'll keep an eye on those.

Well, I managed to complete a deal on another D413 thats NIB and has almost all the exotek goodies NIB too. So will see how this chassis goes, excited.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #10982
Tech Prophet

I'm going from 2wd Mod buggy and never used a fan on the esc but on my E-buggy I have one . Would i need to use one on this buggy say running a 8.5 motor ?

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #10983
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
I'm going from 2wd Mod buggy and never used a fan on the esc but on my E-buggy I have one . Would i need to use one on this buggy say running a 8.5 motor ?
I think it may depend on the ESC in question as well as the location you put the ESC.

Speaking of which, what are peoples recent thoughts on running the ESC behind the motor with some of the newer chassis designs like the exotek? I did this on my Rango and liked the feel and balance with the shorty battery.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #10984
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I think it may depend on the ESC in question as well as the location you put the ESC.

It would be up Front its a Novak GTB 1st gen esc .

Old 01-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #10985
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Speaking of which, what are peoples recent thoughts on running the ESC behind the motor with some of the newer chassis designs like the exotek? I did this on my Rango and liked the feel and balance with the shorty battery.
I got a chance to run my d413 with the exotek pro17 chassis yesterday for the first time. Im running the esc in front of the motor, just like I had it on the stock chassis. First impression of the pro17 chassis with no other setup changes are:
A lot more grip, running slicks on a high bite clay, I was traction rolling in some spots.
More stability in high speed turns, meaning more cornering speed without drifting.
Jumping was about the same, but the track I was at doesn't have a lot of huge jumps.

Overall, the pro17 chassis is going to take some setup changes to get it dialed in, but should produce faster laps due to the grip it provides. Its also a bit heavier than stock, by 80g, but all that weight is down low, so it provides an lower center of gravity. Im going to start with thicker shock fluid all around by 5w, and maybe throw the front sway bar back on.
plus2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #10986
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus2ss View Post
I got a chance to run my d413 with the exotek pro17 chassis yesterday for the first time. Im running the esc in front of the motor, just like I had it on the stock chassis. First impression of the pro17 chassis with no other setup changes are:
A lot more grip, running slicks on a high bite clay, I was traction rolling in some spots.
More stability in high speed turns, meaning more cornering speed without drifting.
Jumping was about the same, but the track I was at doesn't have a lot of huge jumps.

Overall, the pro17 chassis is going to take some setup changes to get it dialed in, but should produce faster laps due to the grip it provides. Its also a bit heavier than stock, by 80g, but all that weight is down low, so it provides an lower center of gravity. Im going to start with thicker shock fluid all around by 5w, and maybe throw the front sway bar back on.
Thats pretty cool that you saw an increase in grip and better stability.

Do you think you would do any spring changes? The gold / yellow combo front to rear seems pretty common across a variet of setups.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #10987
Tech Regular

I currently only have the gold/yellow springs to try, but ive got a few set of blank pistons I could drill to test different shock packages. I cant remember off hand what I have in there now, but I think im at 2x1.6 35f and 2x1.6 32.5r
Old 01-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #10988
Tech Legend

good stuff.

The D413 I got coming has a set front and rear of the 3 x 1.3mm VRP Pistons coming. Looking at how high some of the oil selections are going up front with the 2 x 1.6mm setups, I am thinking of trying the 3 x 1.3mm package with lighter oils (using PT Racing oils here).

I'll be doing a teardown and rebuild on my daughters car tonight, any tips on wear items to watch for?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #10989
Tech Regular

Gotcha, I always like to start with a pro's setup that races on a similar surface, and make adjustments as needed. As far as tips for the rebuild, not much other than the normal little stuff like bent hinge pin anchor bolts in the front. Check for cracks on the shock mounting holes on the front arms, oh and ditch those stock shock caps for some aluminum ones if you haven't done that yet. Ive ran mine pretty hard the last few years without much breaking.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #10990
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info. I got full sets of alloy caps here, one car came with them on and the one on the way is NIB and will have them with it looks like.

Even got a full set of acer ceramic bearings here too lol. Maybe I'll build the car with them.

I think the big dilemma I got left is if I should pickup another exotek chassis for my daughter. Her vehicle has the schelle +4mm graphite chassis on it. I am thinking just leaving it and going from there for her.

Last edited by Cain; 01-30-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #10991
Tech Prophet

With the plastic shock caps I'm going to run for just now it says for emousion setup you have to drill it ? How is the bladder setup ?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #10992
Tech Regular

To run emulsion shocks, just cut the bladder's center out, using the outside lip of the bladder as seal for the cap. You also need to remove the bleeder screw from the cap, and make sure the bleeder hole goes all the way through, (if not then drill it out) then fill the shock full, cycle the shaft a few times, screw the shock cap on, loosen the bleeder on the cap, push the shaft up while holding the shock straight up and down. then with the shaft still compressed, tighten the bleeder. This will usually produce a shock with 1/4-1/2 rebound. to get more rebound, just compress the shaft less during bleeding. Hope this helps
Old 01-31-2017, 08:49 PM   #10993
Tech Legend

alright so I got my daughters vehicle mostly together. I need to still pull the shocks and diffs and fill with oils that I know, but the installation of the electronics (waiting on motor still) and look see went well. Ended up going with the ESC up front, so will see how that feels.

If they do a revision in the future, if I am reading the manual correctly, a split diff mount would be nice.

Excited to see what these vehicles can do.

As for the servo horn, I am using the Savox 1257TG on my daughters vehicle, with the spacer that came with the vehicle, I still have some angle to the steering link. Do you guys move the servo enough to have a straight link?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #10994
Tech Prophet

Quote:
alright so I got my daughters vehicle mostly together. I need to still pull the shocks and diffs and fill with oils that I know, but the installation of the electronics (waiting on motor still) and look see went well. Ended up going with the ESC up front, so will see how that feels.

If they do a revision in the future, if I am reading the manual correctly, a split diff mount would be nice.

Excited to see what these vehicles can do.

As for the servo horn, I am using the Savox 1257TG on my daughters vehicle, with the spacer that came with the vehicle, I still have some angle to the steering link. Do you guys move the servo enough to have a straight link?

Are you using the HB alum servo horn because the taller ones will make that angle I run one on my D812 and had to use two 1mm or 2mm ball stud washers on the bellcrank under the servo turnbuckle ball end it straighten it perfect .

Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #10995
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I went with the Protek clamping style horn and I used the bottom hole and the angles are perfect.
EbbTide is online now   Reply With Quote