R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree29Likes

Old 02-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #10546
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
I have a question regarding roll center adjustment. How do I lower the roll center on the d413 to get more traction? Wouldn't you normally add spacers under the ball stud (raise the ball stud). But the rear ball stud is mounted underneath the camber plate. So what do I do? Anyone mount it on top of the plate? I have the carbon fiber camber plate which has one extra hole but I'm not even sure what moving to the other holes does. I was going by one of tessmanns setup sheets which says to use 1mm spacer between stud and camber plate but that is raising the roll center since is mounted on the bottom of the camber plate and I want to lower it. I think. Lol
Quote:
Thanks guys... If I adjust the rear end do I also make a change to the front end roll center? Or should that remain constant? And the outer hub hole you are referring to is the hole where the hinge pin goes thru right? So I either want to make the inner stud higher or make it lower at the outer hub area correct?
If you want to raise the inner ball studs, put the shims of the desired thickness under the plate where it mounts to the diff housing. I know I'm a genius right? If you go with a shim that is more than 1mm, make sure to use screws that are longer by the same amount as the thickness of the shims (the stock screws are 10mm so if you go to a 2mm shim use 12mm screws). I didn't like how the inner ball cups interfered with the plate at full suspension compression if you run the inner hole on the plate so I raised my plate up by 2mm, and added a 2mm shim under the inner ball stud. This gives the ball cup clearance without having to grind away material from the plate or cup.

Also as Gertsch posted you can make roll center adjustments with the hinge pin mounts too.

As for making an adjustment to both the front and the rear of the car. It depends. All adjustments are to change the balance of the car. Sometimes an adjustment may fix one thing, but create another issue. If you have little idea what adjustments do, run the car, make A SINGLE change, then run it immediately again to feel the difference that one change made. I've been in the hobby for 25+ years, I know what changes do what. If my car is that far off, I can usually change several things at once, and get the car to be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
The rear hub has 2 holes for the pin to go through . These adjust roll center also. The upper hole makes for a lower roll center I believe.
While changing which hole the hinge pin goes through on the hub will change roll center, it will also change the ride height, which if he resets (you should always check ride height and camber after any change) will change how much droop his car has, which will effect weight transfer. Also, what if his hinge pin is already in the upper hole?
Les Vegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #10547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Vegetables View Post
If you want to raise the inner ball studs, put the shims of the desired thickness under the plate where it mounts to the diff housing. I know I'm a genius right? If you go with a shim that is more than 1mm, make sure to use screws that are longer by the same amount as the thickness of the shims (the stock screws are 10mm so if you go to a 2mm shim use 12mm screws). I didn't like how the inner ball cups interfered with the plate at full suspension compression if you run the inner hole on the plate so I raised my plate up by 2mm, and added a 2mm shim under the inner ball stud. This gives the ball cup clearance without having to grind away material from the plate or cup.

Also as Gertsch posted you can make roll center adjustments with the hinge pin mounts too.

As for making an adjustment to both the front and the rear of the car. It depends. All adjustments are to change the balance of the car. Sometimes an adjustment may fix one thing, but create another issue. If you have little idea what adjustments do, run the car, make A SINGLE change, then run it immediately again to feel the difference that one change made. I've been in the hobby for 25+ years, I know what changes do what. If my car is that far off, I can usually change several things at once, and get the car to be much better.

While changing which hole the hinge pin goes through on the hub will change roll center, it will also change the ride height, which if he resets (you should always check ride height and camber after any change) will change how much droop his car has, which will effect weight transfer. Also, what if his hinge pin is already in the upper hole?
Yeah , it will do all those things , but it also lowers his roll center , which was his question. Its on him to know that his ride height and droop are where he wants it to be after the change. You don't "not change it" cause you will have to make other changes ...

He is using the tessman set up , most of which use the bottom hole on the hub. If he is already in the top hole so be it , but if he isn't , its how you do it .

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #10548
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Vegetables View Post

Thanks for all the info guys. I will drop the hub using the upper hole. If I need more I will shim up the entire camber plate. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #10549
Tech Regular

Hello, where is everyone getting there diff oils? Can't really find a good selection mainly for the center diff. I run ptrc oils in all my vehicles but they don't make anything in the 50000 and up .
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:50 AM   #10550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Depending whats in stock, I usually get Associated or Mugen diff fluids, but the AE diff oil usually is cheaper.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #10551
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. I will drop the hub using the upper hole. If I need more I will shim up the entire camber plate. Thanks again.
Have you taken your anti roll bars off yet ? That's a valid change to consider if your looking for grip in the turns

Old 02-25-2016, 06:32 AM   #10552
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Hello, where is everyone getting there diff oils? Can't really find a good selection mainly for the center diff. I run ptrc oils in all my vehicles but they don't make anything in the 50000 and up .

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/fluids/
Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #10553
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Have you taken your anti roll bars off yet ? That's a valid change to consider if your looking for grip in the turns
I took the front off cause that's what the setup called for but not the rear. I forgot about that. I will keep that in the back of my mind next time out. Thanks.
Are there other buggy diff seals that will fit the d413 center, fr and rr diff cup? I use the exotek Spurs so I don't want to be buying the HB Spurs just to get the seal.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #10554
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Have you taken your anti roll bar also on the rear off for low grip clay/dirt?
Front of course but rear sounds interesting

cheers
Old 02-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #10555
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertsch View Post
Have you taken your anti roll bar also on the rear off for low grip clay/dirt?
Front of course but rear sounds interesting

cheers
My outdoor track has higher speeds and less grip and I did not run either bar there. My indoor track varies as the track dries from layout changes. When the layout is just changed there is very little traction and I don't use roll bars. When the track dries enough to run slicks I usually put the rear roll bar back on .

Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #10556
Tech Initiate

Quote:
My outdoor track has higher speeds and less grip and I did not run either bar there. My indoor track varies as the track dries from layout changes. When the layout is just changed there is very little traction and I don't use roll bars. When the track dries enough to run slicks I usually put the rear roll bar back on .
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciate!
It looks like we have the same track conditions - outdoor.
My track is also high speed, low grip, dirt/clay, tight infield and 33sec/lap, small jumps.
Perhaps we should share our setup sheets

cheers!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #10557
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertsch View Post
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciate!
It looks like we have the same track conditions - outdoor.
My track is also high speed, low grip, dirt/clay, tight infield and 33sec/lap, small jumps.
Perhaps we should share our setup sheets

cheers!
I don't have the d413 anymore , but I used the tessman nationals set up the entire time I had it with little change. Just the bars or shock oils depending on how rutted up the track got

Old 02-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #10558
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I don't have the d413 anymore , but I used the tessman nationals set up the entire time I had it with little change. Just the bars or shock oils depending on how rutted up the track got
ok, thanks
cheerio
Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #10559
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. I did find the associated stuff. I just thought there might be more brands out the to choose from.
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #10560
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got my first D413 and was wondering what people were running for their Batteries?
Kegman21 is offline   Reply With Quote