R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes

Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #10471
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
Definitely sounds like a build error..........mine is on its second season on high bite surfaces and no noise or stripping out. Check the bearings for wobble too..........
Most definitely not a build error, built the car per the manual and ran it for almost a full season before this started happening.
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #10472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk28 View Post
ordered a new front gear box set as mine have been stripping every trip out. I ordered new shims as well gonna go down from where it was. Last straw for this car which is a bummer because I love this car. But I'm not running a car I can't rely on. Looking at the DEX410V5...
Quote:
It's a real bummer man, I ordered some smaller shims though gonna see if I can get some more thread in there and see what happens. Hoping it all works out and the D413 stays.
Quote:
Most definitely not a build error, built the car per the manual and ran it for almost a full season before this started happening.
So ... Just to clarify .... You ran the car for a whole season with no front end issues , then all of a sudden it stripped out ? The diff and bevel gear stripped ? what exactly was damaged ? Your going to shim it with smaller shims ? to get more "thread " in it ? what are you saying here , what threads ? How many times has this happened ? What do you think caused the damage ? If it lasted a year , and nothing ( NOTHING ? ) changed , and now your having problems then I assume you have a theory , share it with us so we know

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #10473
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
So ... Just to clarify .... You ran the car for a whole season with no front end issues , then all of a sudden it stripped out ? The diff and bevel gear stripped ? what exactly was damaged ? Your going to shim it with smaller shims ? to get more "thread " in it ? what are you saying here , what threads ? How many times has this happened ? What do you think caused the damage ? If it lasted a year , and nothing ( NOTHING ? ) changed , and now your having problems then I assume you have a theory , share it with us so we know
My issue is where the ball stud inserts in to the top half of the gear box. These have been stripping for me non stop. The smallest crashes have been stripping them, getting one trip to the track and the ball stud has pulled out of by the end of the trip. And the last two times the crashes have not been anything that would concern you about breaking. The current layout at my track doesn't have a jump on it that is capable of breaking this car. I am thinking about trying all new ball studs as well, as I said I really don't want to ditch this car.
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #10474
Tech Master

Quote:
My issue is where the ball stud inserts in to the top half of the gear box. These have been stripping for me non stop. The smallest crashes have been stripping them, getting one trip to the track and the ball stud has pulled out of by the end of the trip. And the last two times the crashes have not been anything that would concern you about breaking. The current layout at my track doesn't have a jump on it that is capable of breaking this car. I am thinking about trying all new ball studs as well, as I said I really don't want to ditch this car.
Had no idea you were originally talking about ball studs stripping out ...

I have always run the longest ones that will fit the set up I want to run , and I actually use a little ca glue on the threads . Also, using a grub screw in the holes your not using will keep the plastic from deforming too .Im sure you will have this sorted out soon

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #10475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just wondering if anybody is using another manufacturers shock shafts? Amain and Tower are out of stock of the front shafts. I haven't bent one yet cause I am just rebuilding the used one I bought but I read front shafts can be troublesome and wanted to get a couple just as back ups. What are other spares I would want to have on hand? I also saw the spur may strip easily? Is the exotek spur and alum mount plate a good fix for that issue?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #10476
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Just wondering if anybody is using another manufacturers shock shafts? Amain and Tower are out of stock of the front shafts. I haven't bent one yet cause I am just rebuilding the used one I bought but I read front shafts can be troublesome and wanted to get a couple just as back ups. What are other spares I would want to have on hand? I also saw the spur may strip easily? Is the exotek spur and alum mount plate a good fix for that issue?
stormerhobies has them in stock

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...l?pn=HOT113139
skyline1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #10477
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline1015 View Post
Abosolute Hobbyz has them in stock too: http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/search...113139&search=
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #10478
Tech Adept

Quote:
Front shock shafts,m3x20 screws , shock standoffs, plastic shock kit,
Exotek spur/extra spur and that should be it
boggiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #10479
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
they make ballstuds with longer threads. sounds like u need them
jwood7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #10480
Tech Master

Cool... Thanks for the info guys
Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #10481
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggiii View Post
Front shock shafts,m3x20 screws , shock standoffs, plastic shock kit,
Exotek spur/extra spur and that should be it

Will the exotek spur work with the stock mounting plate or should I get the whole exotek unit with the aluminum mounting plate?
I also had a question about shock Pistons. Seems like everyone runs the 1.7 2 holes in the rear and 1.6 in front. I was looking at the vrp piston and they say the 1.6 is for high grip. I am going to run 1.7 rear but does anyone run 3 hole 1.4 or 1.3? My tracks are low grip, medium at best.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #10482
Tech Adept

Quote:
Will the exotek spur work with the stock mounting plate or should I get the whole exotek unit with the aluminum mounting plate?
I also had a question about shock Pistons. Seems like everyone runs the 1.7 2 holes in the rear and 1.6 in front. I was looking at the vrp piston and they say the 1.6 is for high grip. I am going to run 1.7 rear but does anyone run 3 hole 1.4 or 1.3? My tracks are low grip, medium at best.
Yes the exotek spur is the same size as the stock spur. The aluminum diff cap does work as a heatsink to help remove heat from the center diff / motor plate which is nice. Other than that there is no real benefit to the exotek center diff mount other than it looks nice. I do wish exotek offered black for the D413 parts it would be a great option Mike !!

More good parts to get would be front arms, rear arms, hingepin set (I have bent 3 fronts so far), Front shock tower mount braces I think most people quit breaking must have been some sort of silent revision but I have 2 just in case. Also keep 1 Rear shock tower mount, Front and rear shock shafts, few spare sets of traxxas x-rings for the shocks, front diff case, Rear hubs I got T-Boned and one broke so I ordered 2 sets (Exotek will be releasing aluminum ones soon I hope), Spare set of bearings and possibly front/rear shafts/axles if you want to spend the money, I also keep 1-2 extra spur gears for the exotek setup.

It really depends how hardcore you are going to race and how bad of a day its going to be when you cant finish.
Jason84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #10483
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've used Kyosho shafts in a pinch. I forgot the exact length I bought but it was just to get through the night
CaseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #10484
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood7 View Post
they make ballstuds with longer threads. sounds like u need them
I've had this issue on mine. Ended up going with longer AE ballstuds (because I'm running AE Cups).
Lexicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #10485
Tech Rookie

I run stock 13.5 class, on an medium sized indoor track high grip dirt, with a long straight into sweeper. I am looking at buying a schelle+4. Should I buy carbon or aluminum or is the stock chassis better?

Last edited by Sotien; 02-10-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Sotien is offline   Reply With Quote