R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree31Likes

Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #9796
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am new to 10th scale and I am looking to get into 10th scale racing. I am debating between the D413 and the Xray XB4. I have read that the Xray is a very easy car to drive compared to the team Durango dex410 which is very aggressive and jerky. Anyone here driven both the D413 and the Xray that can give me a comparison? Or even just explain what type of driving I will get with the D413? How is Parts support, Durability and any other advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you. I really like how the D413 is designed as far as having a CD and steel diff gears. Seems like a full 8th scale buggy just shrunk down. I have recently been driving in 8th scale class.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #9797
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
I am new to 10th scale and I am looking to get into 10th scale racing. I am debating between the D413 and the Xray XB4. I have read that the Xray is a very easy car to drive compared to the team Durango dex410 which is very aggressive and jerky. Anyone here driven both the D413 and the Xray that can give me a comparison? Or even just explain what type of driving I will get with the D413? How is Parts support, Durability and any other advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you. I really like how the D413 is designed as far as having a CD and steel diff gears. Seems like a full 8th scale buggy just shrunk down. I have recently been driving in 8th scale class.
I owned both. The xray is a great car but it has a really bad tendency for the nose of the car to lawn dart. If you land nose down it'll drill itself into the ground. So I always found myself holding back with that car to prevent the lawn dart. That was the only weak point I found with it.

The d413 is a tank and handles just as well as the xray but I can drive it a lot harder and it's more forgiving in the tough stuff as it has a ton of wheel travel. It can land any way you want and it soaks it up. This ability allows me to turn faster more consistent laps with the d413.

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #9798
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Runner

You can't go wrong with the D413. It's very durable and you can tune it easily without getting lost in a gazillion different tuning options. A few very good drivers at my track tried the Xray and all gave up on it. They were faster with other cars. That's one of the reasons I chose the HB and I'm not sorry for choosing it.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #9799
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm thinking about picking up a D413 to try. I currently own a 2015 XB4 with a ton of tires on 14mm hex wheels. XRAY standard hexes are 4.5mm in width and they offer -.75 and +.75 options in 14mm diameter. Can someone measure the width of the D413 front and rear hexes for me? I'm wondering if I can closely match the width with one of the XRAY options. Also, the XRAY axles are 5mm in diameter, can someone tell me the diameter of the D413 axles?

If I can use my existing XRAY tires/wheels it would make this decision a lot easier. Thanks in advance . . . Matt
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:11 AM   #9800
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The stock Hex for the D413 is a 12mm hex with an optional 10 hex for AE front wheels. I typically use all 22-4 wheels, since they are easier to get and cheaper.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #9801
Tech Addict

D413 axles are 5mm.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #9802
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
The stock Hex for the D413 is a 12mm hex with an optional 10 hex for AE front wheels. I typically use all 22-4 wheels, since they are easier to get and cheaper.
Perhaps i should have used the term depth instead of width. I know the HB hexes are 12mm, but i wanted to determine how thick they are. The XRay standard hexes are 4.5mm in depth, 14mm in diameter. The Xray front wheels have the hex deeply inset almost flush with the outside of the wheel. Wondering if i can match the track width with the Xray option parts/hexes.
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #9803
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Maschine View Post
Keep us posted! I've been looking at the Xray bushings so I'm curious to hear your comparison. Although I'm tempted to just order a set of Exoteks so they arrive as soon as I return from Seattle.
So I've installed the new Exotek hubs and bushings and they're nice products. If you've done the steering rack and turnbuckles, this would be the last piece of the puzzle for no slop. I could live without the hubs, but the bushings are a must. Plus they're a snug fit so they don't fall out
RENOV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #9804
Tech Adept

I've been using the RC Shox pistons but just installed the VRP "X" pistons. All I can say is WOW. These things are ULTRA SMOOTH. Car just glides over the rough sections
Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #9805
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENOV8R View Post
I've been using the RC Shox pistons but just installed the VRP "X" pistons. All I can say is WOW. These things are ULTRA SMOOTH. Car just glides over the rough sections
+1! Those pistons are the best money I've ever spent on this car and the B5M I have.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #9806
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Runner View Post
+1! Those pistons are the best money I've ever spent on this car....
same here 2x1.6 front 2x1.7 rear = awesome!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #9807
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
So I've installed the new Exotek hubs and bushings and they're nice products. If you've done the steering rack and turnbuckles, this would be the last piece of the puzzle for no slop. I could live without the hubs, but the bushings are a must. Plus they're a snug fit so they don't fall out
Have you noticed any performance changes with the hubs being made out of aluminum which I assume is heavier? Have you had to compensate some way?
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #9808
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Have you noticed any performance changes with the hubs being made out of aluminum which I assume is heavier? Have you had to compensate some way?
Nothing I can notice. This is a small piece and any weight difference would be miniscule. Keep in mind though, now you've got one more part that needs loctite.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #9809
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Nothing I can notice. This is a small piece and any weight difference would be miniscule. Keep in mind though, now you've got one more part that needs loctite.

Hey sir on the VPR shock pistons what size are you running?
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #9810
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
Hey sir on the VPR shock pistons what size are you running?
2 hole - 1.6 mm front & 1.7 mm rear

I'm going to try 1.5 & 1.6 but I don't think I'll get any better setup than I have now.