R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #9541
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 398
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMoto View Post
Youve tried both set ups? Please explain. I would think saddle packs add more balance in the chassis. Please sell me on why I should reconfigure and buy new batteries? Im ready to take my new servo out and sell it.
Look at the way the car is layed out, and use your brain. It's obvious that the car will be way more balanced with a shorty pack. With saddles you have equal battery weight on both sides, but the motor and ESC in the front right are going to weigh a lot more than a servo and receiver.

A shorty pack weighs about the same as a motor, and a servo weighs about the same as an ESC, and receivers are usually very light. The saddle pack thing was really to conform to a rule that is no longer enforced. You just spent a bunch of money on a new kit, spend the $40 for the right battery.
Mantis Toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #9542
Tech Addict
 
nitro2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Corona CA.
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Look at the way the car is layed out, and use your brain. It's obvious that the car will be way more balanced with a shorty pack. With saddles you have equal battery weight on both sides, but the motor and ESC in the front right are going to weigh a lot more than a servo and receiver.

A shorty pack weighs about the same as a motor, and a servo weighs about the same as an ESC, and receivers are usually very light. The saddle pack thing was really to conform to a rule that is no longer enforced. You just spent a bunch of money on a new kit, spend the $40 for the right battery.
+1
nitro2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #9543
Tech Master
 
13Maschine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to 13Maschine
Thumbs up

efor example, here's the weights of the various components in my car so I could work out the balance theoretically just by weighing each component. I haven't yet put it on a four point scale...

D413 Electronic component weights

Right Front
Servo 58g

Right Rear
Shorty Battery 211g

Right Total = 269

Left Front
Hobbywing ESC 83g
Fan 6g
Capacitor 9.5g

Left Rear
HIrosaka 7.5T motor 158g
Futaba Receiver 9g
Fan 6g

Left Total = 271.5

Race Ready Total Car weight
D413 1713g
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-img_3145.jpg  
__________________
SoCal R/C Privateer, find me at either OCRC or SCVRC!
My JUNSI POWERED Rides: Xray XB2 CE, Hot Bodies D413, Kyosho RB6, HobbyWing Xerun 3.1, Futaba 4PX, Futaba and MKS Servos, Speed Passion Hirosaka and HW V10 Powerplants!
First car Kyosho Pegasus and RC10CE! More than 25 years Racing! Happy to lend a helping hand. Just ask! :)
13Maschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #9544
Tech Apprentice
 
VinMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Maschine View Post
efor example, here's the weights of the various components in my car so I could work out the balance theoretically just by weighing each component. I haven't yet put it on a four point scale...

D413 Electronic component weights

Right Front
Servo 58g

Right Rear
Shorty Battery 211g

Right Total = 269

Left Front
Hobbywing ESC 83g
Fan 6g
Capacitor 9.5g

Left Rear
HIrosaka 7.5T motor 158g
Futaba Receiver 9g
Fan 6g

Left Total = 271.5

Race Ready Total Car weight
D413 1713g
Thank you very much for this very useful info. Very balanced for sure!
__________________
Xray XB4, B64D, RC8.3Be, T5m, SCT410.3, SCTE, DEX8, DEX8T, HB D413, RC8.2e, TC6.1, Mini-z, Kyosho Inferno GT2
Maj's Hobby Shop Hackensack NJ, Critters RC Fairfield NJ
Support Your Local Hobby Shop!!
VinMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #9545
Tech Apprentice
 
VinMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
Default

Shorty pack makes for a balanced light weight car, problem is we run on a short indoor clay track. Im looking for a heavier set up. Every wheeler ive owned ive added weight too. More traction and keeps it low in the air. I will buy a shorty pack but 1st Im running saddles. I see from 13maschines info that the motor weighs 158g while the esc,fan,servo and receiver weighs 167g! I can add a few grams to the motor side!
__________________
Xray XB4, B64D, RC8.3Be, T5m, SCT410.3, SCTE, DEX8, DEX8T, HB D413, RC8.2e, TC6.1, Mini-z, Kyosho Inferno GT2
Maj's Hobby Shop Hackensack NJ, Critters RC Fairfield NJ
Support Your Local Hobby Shop!!
VinMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #9546
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 398
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMoto View Post
Shorty pack makes for a balanced light weight car, problem is we run on a short indoor clay track. Im looking for a heavier set up. Every wheeler ive owned ive added weight too. More traction and keeps it low in the air. I will buy a shorty pack but 1st Im running saddles. I see from 13maschines info that the motor weighs 158g while the esc,fan,servo and receiver weighs 167g! I can add a few grams to the motor side!
Remember, those are the weight for his components. My ESC is only 43 grams without wires (and I doubt my wires add up to 40 grams). If you're that worried about the balance of your car you're gonna have to weigh your stuff. You can always add weight to your car.
Mantis Toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #9547
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,446
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMoto View Post
Anyone have any luck with Avid Chassis or Schelle stretch chassis??
I've been running the Schelle stretch carbon fiber chassis for a while now and definitely one of the best upgrades for this car. The Schelle chassis makes the car feel more planted and can drive it in and out of the corners harder and you won't get the 3 wheel motion. It also jumps better and handles the rough stuff better too. I've been running mine outdoors on a 1/8 sized track and has been handling awesome.

As for the batteries, the shorty pack is definitely the preferred way. One of our local fast guys tried saddle and after two races switched it to shorty pack and never looked back. he said it just handled better with the shorty configuration.

I would check out SMC Racing for a shorty pack, they are like $30-40 and great battery for the price as well.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #9548
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: parma, ohio
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
I've been running the Schelle stretch carbon fiber chassis for a while now and definitely one of the best upgrades for this car. The Schelle chassis makes the car feel more planted and can drive it in and out of the corners harder and you won't get the 3 wheel motion. It also jumps better and handles the rough stuff better too. I've been running mine outdoors on a 1/8 sized track and has been handling awesome.

As for the batteries, the shorty pack is definitely the preferred way. One of our local fast guys tried saddle and after two races switched it to shorty pack and never looked back. he said it just handled better with the shorty configuration.

I would check out SMC Racing for a shorty pack, they are like $30-40 and great battery for the price as well.

sounds like i need the schelle strech chassi. running on a 1/8 scale outdoor track (medina rc raceway). do you guys running the schelle strech chassi like it indoors as well as outdoors?

also a shorty is the way to go in this buggy for sure!!!!
floyd2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #9549
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,446
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
sounds like i need the schelle strech chassi. running on a 1/8 scale outdoor track (medina rc raceway). do you guys running the schelle strech chassi like it indoors as well as outdoors?

also a shorty is the way to go in this buggy for sure!!!!

The Schelle chassis works great indoors. Floyd it made huge difference at Bula for me when I made the change to the chassis.
I'm still running Tys original Reddy Setup and only made minor changes to it and still running same setup for outdoors at Shays track
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #9550
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
The Schelle chassis works great indoors. Floyd it made huge difference at Bula for me when I made the change to the chassis.
I'm still running Tys original Reddy Setup and only made minor changes to it and still running same setup for outdoors at Shays track
Do the bodies fit normally with this chassis?
Apexracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #9551
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,446
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yes, the bodies still fit fine, I'm still using my original Proline Type-R body from when it was running the stock chassis.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #9552
Tech Master
 
13Maschine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to 13Maschine
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMoto View Post
Thank you very much for this very useful info. Very balanced for sure!
You are welcome. I did weigh my ESC with all the wires attached this way it would be fairly accurate in terms of total weight. The wires aren't all in one place so the weight is somewhat distributed as well. Four point scale is the best way but this just goes to show how the car could be balanced with a shorty. Your results will vary based on component choices. Once the car has been built with al the electronics and such then it should be shock balanced too, this is often why switching from shorty to saddle without changing the suspension to match the weight causes poor handling in saddle config. Heavier car will probably need heavier dampening.
__________________
SoCal R/C Privateer, find me at either OCRC or SCVRC!
My JUNSI POWERED Rides: Xray XB2 CE, Hot Bodies D413, Kyosho RB6, HobbyWing Xerun 3.1, Futaba 4PX, Futaba and MKS Servos, Speed Passion Hirosaka and HW V10 Powerplants!
First car Kyosho Pegasus and RC10CE! More than 25 years Racing! Happy to lend a helping hand. Just ask! :)
13Maschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #9553
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,446
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Also for those thinking about the Schelle carbon stretch chassis, look at changing the layout of your electronics. I moved my ESC behind the motor and then the RX and Transponder are in front of motor. When I put scales on all four corners it came out balanced pretty dam good. I think I added minor weight to the motor side.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #9554
Dal
Tech Master
 
Dal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Go Offville Tennessey
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Look at the way the car is layed out, and use your brain. It's obvious that the car will be way more balanced with a shorty pack. With saddles you have equal battery weight on both sides, but the motor and ESC in the front right are going to weigh a lot more than a servo and receiver.

A shorty pack weighs about the same as a motor, and a servo weighs about the same as an ESC, and receivers are usually very light. The saddle pack thing was really to conform to a rule that is no longer enforced. You just spent a bunch of money on a new kit, spend the $40 for the right battery.
ESC is on same side as servo, RX is behind motor, on mine anyway
Dal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #9555
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 398
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal View Post
ESC is on same side as servo, RX is behind motor, on mine anyway
In shorty configuration?
Mantis Toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:19 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net