R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #9361
Tech Master
 
YANMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,213
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quick Question for everyone. When new just after you built the buggy was the drive train not very free? I hope this thing loosens up after running it! I have loosened up all screws and retorqued them, still seems like it is stiff. I am thinking it may be all the grease in the bearings and once that heats up or is gone it will be free.

Thanks,
Tim
__________________
Bellgate Dist. / Highest RC Servos / Procircuit Tires
Nitro Pro Race Fuel
YANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #9362
Tech Addict
 
nanoverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
also sent an email to hpi support. email ignored. let's try again...
My mail got ignored too. I broke the cap standoff. Hate to buy a whole set. I think it will brake again.
nanoverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #9363
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,944
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANMAN View Post
Quick Question for everyone. When new just after you built the buggy was the drive train not very free? I hope this thing loosens up after running it! I have loosened up all screws and retorqued them, still seems like it is stiff. I am thinking it may be all the grease in the bearings and once that heats up or is gone it will be free.

Thanks,
Tim
I shimmed my diffs away from the pinion. this freed it up a bit and made it quieter. I never chipped any gears doing that either. Temps dropped as well.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #9364
Tech Master
 
YANMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,213
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I shimmed my diffs away from the pinion. this freed it up a bit and made it quieter. I never chipped any gears doing that either. Temps dropped as well.
Thank you for the advise. I shimmed it like I would my 1/8th scales, a little notchy. I followed the instructions and put the shim on the gear side. I will for sure take your advise and switch them tonight.
YANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #9365
Tech Addict
 
nitro2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Corona CA.
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANMAN View Post
Thank you for the advise. I shimmed it like I would my 1/8th scales, a little notchy. I followed the instructions and put the shim on the gear side. I will for sure take your advise and switch them tonight.
try backing off the suspension arm screws RF that are on each side of the pinion a 1/4 turn.
nitro2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #9366
Tech Master
 
YANMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,213
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2be View Post
try backing off the suspension arm screws RF that are on each side of the pinion a 1/4 turn.
I will do that as well. Those are the ones that thread into plastic if I remember.
YANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #9367
Tech Addict
 
nitro2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Corona CA.
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANMAN View Post
I will do that as well. Those are the ones that thread into plastic if I remember.
Yes, but there is the orange aluminum piece inside.id try that 1st, I had a ticking sound in my drive train and traced it to those screws.
nitro2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #9368
Tech Apprentice
 
SeanKewley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hustisford, WI
Posts: 55
Default

Anyone have any hard numbers on the weight savings by going with titanium turn buckles and screws?
SeanKewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #9369
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKewley View Post
Anyone have any hard numbers on the weight savings by going with titanium turn buckles and screws?
I find the buggy is too light for outdoor tracks. Very fast and nimble though.
Apexracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #9370
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Smack View Post
What are the car's natural tendencies? Is it a turn and burn car, or a hug the pipe kind of car? We have a HD driver at our track and he dominates, but I've been away for a while, and haven't seen him drive it.
Very very durable, car has a ton of steering on and off throttle. Buggy is a bit light for bigger jumps and bumps. But over all runs very very well.
Apexracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #9371
Tech Apprentice
 
Dirtburner2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kamloops B.C, Canada
Posts: 58
Default

Hey guys, whats the best setup for a low to medium grip blown out dirt track? Thanks
__________________
~S-Workz S350BE-1 - Tekin T8 G2 2050 - Tekin RX8 G2
~Hot bodies D413 - 6.5 Tekin - Tekin RSX
~Tekin / Radiopost / Sworkz / HB / Proline / AKA

~Proud Member / Offroad race director of TVRCRC Race club
Dirtburner2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #9372
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 132
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
Very very durable, car has a ton of steering on and off throttle. Buggy is a bit light for bigger jumps and bumps. But over all runs very very well.
Thank you. Our track is really tight, and my Durango has thermaled for the last time. I've heard a lot of good things about the car, and I think I'll give it a try.
__________________
"Run what you brung, and hope you brung enough."
King of Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #9373
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtburner2.0 View Post
Hey guys, whats the best setup for a low to medium grip blown out dirt track? Thanks
Is it just a dusty clay track? I give my buggy plenty of ride height, and i love the j-concepts flip outs. Those tires absolutely hook up on a loose track.
Apexracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #9374
Tech Regular
 
moto67e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lakewood Cal.
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone tried the Exotek clamping hexes? They don't seem to butt up against the bearing like the stock ones do, which allows the axle to move back and forth and the rubber boot rubs on the rear arm.



moto67e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #9375
Tech Addict
 
nitro2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Corona CA.
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto67e View Post
Has anyone tried the Exotek clamping hexes? They don't seem to butt up against the bearing like the stock ones do, which allows the axle to move back and forth and the rubber boot rubs on the rear arm.



Yes, same thing you can put clutch shims in to take up the gap.kyosho ones cheap and easy.im about ready to put my stock ones back on.
nitro2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:11 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net