R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree42Likes

Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #9166
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I completed my build last night but I haven't done my shocks yet due to I don't know what the conversion for shock oil is.

What is a good starting spot for oil and pistons for the car? The book says 500# front and rear but I don't know what that equals in Losi oil

Any help would rule?
cripplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #9167
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

500cst is about 40 wt
Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #9168
Tech Master

Depends on your track racing at...
Did you build it per the book or some ones setup sheet?? I know a lot of people did not like the box setup from the manual, most people in my area started with the Reedy setup since it made it easy and fun to drive and could really push the car.

As for pistons the 2x1.6 fronts and 2x1.7 rear were very popular and made the car feel great. Others ran the stock pistons and liked them. It depends on your driving style and the track. I started with the stock 3 holes to get a baseline race in, then next week switched to the 2 hole ones I made myself from the blanks. The 2holes were a big improvement.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #9169
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripplethreat View Post
I completed my build last night but I haven't done my shocks yet due to I don't know what the conversion for shock oil is.

What is a good starting spot for oil and pistons for the car? The book says 500# front and rear but I don't know what that equals in Losi oil

Any help would rule?
A lot of progress has been made with setups since the kit manual was put together. If you are good at knowing when to make a change and why then you can start with the kit setup and make changes that you feel are necessary, or you could look on Ty Tessmans site and find a setup that is for similar conditions to where you're going to run, and start there. If you are not really good with knowing what change to make and why, then I would highly recommend starting with a different setup. I'm even starting with the Gun Smoke setup, but that's mainly to save me the time and effort. I usually start with the kit setup, and make the changes that I feel are needed, but with a kit setup that is so far off, I know it would be a bunch of time and effort to get it right. Much easier to start with a base setup that matches the description of where you run, and then make some changes from there.
Mantis Toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #9170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

Any help would rule?
PTRC did a cst test on losi oils. losi 35wt matched the closest to 500cst.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #9171
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
Depends on your track racing at...
Did you build it per the book or some ones setup sheet?? I know a lot of people did not like the box setup from the manual, most people in my area started with the Reedy setup since it made it easy and fun to drive and could really push the car.

As for pistons the 2x1.6 fronts and 2x1.7 rear were very popular and made the car feel great. Others ran the stock pistons and liked them. It depends on your driving style and the track. I started with the stock 3 holes to get a baseline race in, then next week switched to the 2 hole ones I made myself from the blanks. The 2holes were a big improvement.
Thanks for the info! I asked a local fast guy what he runs and he runs those pistons and he told me what sway bars and oils to start out with. Thanks for all the help! RcShox have been ordered
Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #9172
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
Yea there is some steering slop if that what your talking about, it doesn't bother me and haven't noticed any effects during racing. I think if you search Youtube for D413 slop or steering issue, you might see a couple videos... let us know if that's what you mean
Thanks mate will check it out,doesn't bother me just seem's to be a lot looser than the other 4wd buggies that i run.The orion r10 comes sometime this week and have two motors to play with a 13.5 and a 5.5 then a bit of solder and she's on the track.She looks a beauty really happy with the build and the part's are second to none,just have a feeling she will be my favorite 4wd
buster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #9173
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It ended up working out just fine, however, I can't help but think that the RSX by teking would be just a bit more appropriate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
The RX8 is overkill... but should work fine if you can fit it in. As far as balance, don't even worry about it... the plastic case RX8 is not much heavier than a full aluminum case 1/10th scale ESC and cap. RX8 listed as 76.5 grams, the Viper VTX10R BE (which I run) is listed as 75 grams = no difference.
claytrackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #9174
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

these look like they're scarce again. fortunately i have a spare, but of course i'll be looking for another one after i install the one i have.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #9175
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Got the first race under m belt yesterday. All i can say is wow coming from a 44.1 this baby rocks set it up on some of tessmans setup. Tq and won at a club race.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #9176
Tech Addict

looking at other peoples set up sheets I see that the wing can be set to different heights... There is nothing on the first page about this and nothing in the book.. Can someone explain this to me?

Sorry if it's a dumb question
Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #9177

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

You can flip the wing mounts upside down and the mount the wing on the bottom. Not a dumb question.

My son is a pretty dang good driver but he has been cracking the inside of his front rims. Both his Prolines and the stock rims have done this. Both of them seem ridiculously flexible on the inside of the rim. Has anyone had experience with other rims that don't crack and flex quite as easily?
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #9178
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

my aka evo wheels have been lasting.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #9179
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
looking at other peoples set up sheets I see that the wing can be set to different heights... There is nothing on the first page about this and nothing in the book.. Can someone explain this to me?

Sorry if it's a dumb question
The info is on the first page, near the bottom of the first post.
Mantis Toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #9180
Tech Master

I've been running and using the HB and the colored DE racing wheels and they have been fine, no issues with cracking.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote