R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree31Likes

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #8671
ISH
Tech Adept

i haven't purchased the exotek center diff aluminum cover/spur gear yet but after reading some of the feed back on here i was a little skeptical. last night i took a look at one of the diff covers and spurs and i could visually see some inconsistencies in the teeth of the spur gear seems that these would be enough to cause some issues. maybe exotek had a bad batch of these?

i haven't had any problems with the stock covers so i will continue to run those for now.
T5M
Team Orion, Nova Rossi, SMC, MIP, Airtronics, KO-PROPO.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:14 AM   #8672
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
Well, yes (sort of) finally after nearly a year... Our recent track has a chicane with a sharp pipe that can catch cars if too close. I caught it with the rear tire and it just pulled the hub off of the arm, the plastic of the arm flexed enough for the hinge pin to come out. I put it back together and ran for several weeks, then it happened again (same place) and I put back together and ran a few more weeks. Finally the third time it happened, it started to tear some of the plastic away... I could have continued to run it, but decided to replace it (and I was curious to see if the CF plate could be recovered). I also have a set of outer hinge pins from another car that uses e-clips that I thought about using, as they would not allow the arm to spread... perhaps a nutted outer hinge pin would be good.
So the arm just stretched out of shape.thats great, I love these arms. I prefer a few cents for screws over arms any day .thanks I'll be gluing my CF inserts this week.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #8673
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
Cheaper still all 4pcs and include screws.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HB-D413-Grap.../161642733826?

I've ordered 2 sets of these and they are good quality and perfect fit.
Someone posted earlier in the thread that the cheap Fleebay ones break very easy!!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #8674
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

For my information, is there only 1 version of the d413. Hate to open the one i just Got, just to find out 2.0 is being realised next wk.

If not, iget to start my build tomorrow.
trojanjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #8675
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanjoe1 View Post
For my information, is there only 1 version of the d413. Hate to open the one i just Got, just to find out 2.0 is being realised next wk.

If not, iget to start my build tomorrow.
From what I was told, it would not be for another year
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #8676
Tech Apprentice

Thx. Guess im all in....
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #8677

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Get that build started!! And have fun!
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 PM   #8678
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmainStar View Post
Someone posted earlier in the thread that the cheap Fleebay ones break very easy!!
I posted that and may have been premature. Upon further inspection, both suspension hanger screws were bent and the screw going through the shock standoff was bent so whatever crashed caused the the insert to break must have been substantial.

That's the thing with this buggy. What would be a catastrophic crash in another buggy seems ho hum after wheeling this buggy for a while. So I may have improperly assumed those inserts were inferior, when in fact, whatever crash it was may have broken the HB carbon inserts too.

Also keep in mind, those eBay t-workx inserts are graphite. The HB/avid inserts are CF. I believe graphite is more brittle, but I could be wrong.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #8679
Tech Adept

Ya I don't think these T-Works are any lesser a product, just more inline how they should be priced.
Carbon fiber is graphite, same deal. If anything they are a different weave which on a part this size any different flex characteristic will not be noticed as it would on say a chassis.

But hey, if you guy's wanna come up with reasons why your better to pay almost triple for the HB ones go right ahead. In the mean time I'll keep running these, rather probably not runnning these now we'll be outdoor on a hard pack dusty track.
GimpyGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #8680
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default center diff shim

I don't know why I did not notice this when I did the original build on my 413 last year, but I am building a second center diff and went back to the manual to make sure I was doing everything right. I noticed that there is no shim shown in the manual for the center diff. The front and rear diff show a shim on the ring gear side. The question is, why did I get a shim in my center diff kit? Is there supposed to be one installed? I mean is the manual wrong or is the kit wrong?
jjl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #8681
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl1 View Post
I don't know why I did not notice this when I did the original build on my 413 last year, but I am building a second center diff and went back to the manual to make sure I was doing everything right. I noticed that there is no shim shown in the manual for the center diff. The front and rear diff show a shim on the ring gear side. The question is, why did I get a shim in my center diff kit? Is there supposed to be one installed? I mean is the manual wrong or is the kit wrong?
shims are optional and used where and as needed. and I never shimmed my d413 according to the manual. It was too tight that way and made for increased motor heat.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #8682
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
I posted that and may have been premature. Upon further inspection, both suspension hanger screws were bent and the screw going through the shock standoff was bent so whatever crashed caused the the insert to break must have been substantial.

That's the thing with this buggy. What would be a catastrophic crash in another buggy seems ho hum after wheeling this buggy for a while. So I may have improperly assumed those inserts were inferior, when in fact, whatever crash it was may have broken the HB carbon inserts too.

Also keep in mind, those eBay t-workx inserts are graphite. The HB/avid inserts are CF. I believe graphite is more brittle, but I could be wrong.
Cool good to know thanx for the clarification

Quote:
Ya I don't think these T-Works are any lesser a product, just more inline how they should be priced.
Carbon fiber is graphite, same deal. If anything they are a different weave which on a part this size any different flex characteristic will not be noticed as it would on say a chassis.

But hey, if you guy's wanna come up with reasons why your better to pay almost triple for the HB ones go right ahead. In the mean time I'll keep running these, rather probably not runnning these now we'll be outdoor on a hard pack dusty track.
Still running the plastic ones myself, no reasons here just trying to help.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #8683
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the Exotek guys out there, which screws did you use with the wing mount & buttons? I picked up the recommended size screws (m3x6) in ti from acer for pretty cheap.

http://www.acerracing.com/ball_beari...9nGxoCrDnw_wcB
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #8684
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cheaper still all 4pcs and include screws.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HB-D413-Grap.../161642733826?

I've ordered 2 sets of these and they are good quality and perfect fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmainStar View Post
I have them and they are one of the few things that I have not broken up front. And trust me I have crash tested them extensively.

I compared them to the HB option ones and cannot tell any quality difference.
ramctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #8685
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
shims are optional and used where and as needed. and I never shimmed my d413 according to the manual. It was too tight that way and made for increased motor heat.
Gald this topic was brought up.....just finished bag f and my rear diff was binding. Thought it was rubbing somewhere, but nope, took out rear shim n no more binding...smooth as the front now