R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #7651
Tech Adept
 
RENOV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla View Post
To me, most of the slop is in the ball cups and ball studs.
That's my next step. I've got a bunch of leftover TLR links and balls that look like they might work really nice. But I keep thinking to myself, does a tiny bit of slop really make any difference? I've never in my life owned any car that had absolutely no slop.
RENOV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #7652
Tech Regular
 
mvrk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

It's funny because some cars are actually designed to have a little slop and everybody tries so hard to get rid of it.
__________________
Team Durango DESC10 - Tekin Pro 4 HD 4300, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
TLR 22t 3.0 - Tekin Gen 3 8.5t, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
VANT LIPOS
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #7653
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Middle, TN.
Posts: 569
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENOV8R View Post
That's my next step. I've got a bunch of leftover TLR links and balls that look like they might work really nice. But I keep thinking to myself, does a tiny bit of slop really make any difference? I've never in my life owned any car that had absolutely no slop.
I've been looking at different setup sheets and seeing .5mm changes in toe, or camber, or whatever which are supposed to make a difference in how the car handles. Then I look at my front wheels flopping around a couple full mm in every direction.

None of my other RC cars are completely slop free but none of them are anywhere close to this level. And that's with my RCShox bar installed. It's pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.

I raced my D413 on carpet last Sunday and I thought it was one of the best 4WD buggies out there. But I still want to tighten it up.

Torrance Deguzman told us in this thread that he purposely designed in slop, to simulate what the car will be like after breaking it in. Personally I think that was a bad decision. Sorry, Torrance, if you're even following the thread at all these days.

Torrance also told us that the car ended up with even more slop than he intended. To the point where he said he was shimming and such on his own car to reduce it.

-Chris
__________________
Tekno EB48.2, ET48, SCT410
Hot Bodies D413
AE B5M, T5M
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #7654
ISH
Tech Adept
 
ISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So Cal
Posts: 104
Default

rundown of my buggy.
Orion 10.1
Orion 6.5
22T pinion
F7k,C100k,R5k

I have been running my buggy for a few weeks now and have noticed a considerable difference from other D413s at my track. it seems slower and less aggressive even agains others with similar set ups. granted i have only been into the hobby for a little over two months but something just isn't right. maybe someone can suggest things to look for to trouble shoot.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #7655
Tech Adept
 
Chr1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: york, pa
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post
rundown of my buggy.
Orion 10.1
Orion 6.5
22T pinion
F7k,C100k,R5k

I have been running my buggy for a few weeks now and have noticed a considerable difference from other D413s at my track. it seems slower and less aggressive even agains others with similar set ups. granted i have only been into the hobby for a little over two months but something just isn't right. maybe someone can suggest things to look for to trouble shoot.
Go ask the guys that have the car handling good at your track...
__________________
Chris Kline
Chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #7656
Tech Regular
 
mvrk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post
rundown of my buggy.
Orion 10.1
Orion 6.5
22T pinion
F7k,C100k,R5k

I have been running my buggy for a few weeks now and have noticed a considerable difference from other D413s at my track. it seems slower and less aggressive even agains others with similar set ups. granted i have only been into the hobby for a little over two months but something just isn't right. maybe someone can suggest things to look for to trouble shoot.
With a 6.5 motor, you want to have your Final Drive Ratio around 10. Right now you are at 10.83, bump up your pinion to a 24t and that will get you really close to 10, 9.93. Also take a look at your speedo settings you can trying putting some timing on the motor as well.
__________________
Team Durango DESC10 - Tekin Pro 4 HD 4300, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
TLR 22t 3.0 - Tekin Gen 3 8.5t, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
VANT LIPOS
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #7657
ISH
Tech Adept
 
ISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So Cal
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
Go ask the guys that have the car handling good at your track...
it handles well its just doesn't feel as responsive.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #7658
ISH
Tech Adept
 
ISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So Cal
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk28 View Post
With a 6.5 motor, you want to have your Final Drive Ratio around 10. Right now you are at 10.83, bump up your pinion to a 24t and that will get you really close to 10, 9.93. Also take a look at your speedo settings you can trying putting some timing on the motor as well.
i will give that a try my motor temps coming off the track are currently under 150*
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #7659
Tech Master
 
Yeti AS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: lockport,IL
Posts: 1,347
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post
i will give that a try my motor temps coming off the track are currently under 150*
Ya...a 24 will wake it up everywhere. Orion 6.5 is like a 7.5
__________________
Hot Bodies D413
AE B5m

Haigh Designz -Custom Airbrushing
Leisure Hours Hobby and Raceway!!
Yeti AS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #7660
ISH
Tech Adept
 
ISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So Cal
Posts: 104
Default

another question i have is how do you quiet this thing down a bit? i was at the reedy race and none of the hot bodies out there were nearly as loud lol its not that big of a deal just curious.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #7661
Tech Regular
 
mvrk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

if anybody is interested, I built an excel file for figuring final drive ratio that lists motor turns and desired fdr as well. PM me your email if you would like it
__________________
Team Durango DESC10 - Tekin Pro 4 HD 4300, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
TLR 22t 3.0 - Tekin Gen 3 8.5t, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
VANT LIPOS
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #7662
Tech Regular
 
mvrk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post
another question i have is how do you quiet this thing down a bit? i was at the reedy race and none of the hot bodies out there were nearly as loud lol its not that big of a deal just curious.
Did you grease your ring and pinion in the diffs? I noticed that manual does not tell you to do it.

Also, if you're running drag brake it will be louder. I was talking to somebody at Tekin last week and he said Tekin drivers are running push control and 0 drag brake and it's quieter and easier on the drive train.
__________________
Team Durango DESC10 - Tekin Pro 4 HD 4300, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
TLR 22t 3.0 - Tekin Gen 3 8.5t, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
VANT LIPOS
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #7663
ISH
Tech Adept
 
ISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So Cal
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk28 View Post
Did you grease your ring and pinion in the diffs? I noticed that manual does not tell you to do it.

Also, if you're running drag brake it will be louder. I was talking to somebody at Tekin last week and he said Tekin drivers are running push control and 0 drag brake and it's quieter and easier on the drive train.
yup i put some tamiya aw grease on them. i run 0 drag as i think the car has enough already.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #7664
Tech Regular
 
mvrk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post
yup i put some tamiya aw grease on them. i run 0 drag as i think the car has enough already.
Hmm, I know it is considered a noisy car. I'm not familiar with tamiya grease, I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic grease in my build, I'll let you know what the sound is like after I run it tomorrow.
__________________
Team Durango DESC10 - Tekin Pro 4 HD 4300, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
TLR 22t 3.0 - Tekin Gen 3 8.5t, Protek, VRP, Proline, Sanwa
VANT LIPOS
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #7665
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In a VAN down by the RIVER
Posts: 753
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
Anyone else try running associated pistons in their car?

Building my shocks last night I wanted to stick with a 2 hole setup for more pack and being an AE guy i have a boat load of AE pistons lying around. The center hole is larger and won't center well but i found once you put the washers on they hold well. To get them to center up, I put the nut on loosely, inserted the assembly into the shock body all the way to the bottom and then tightened up the piston nut. Smooth as butter through the whole stroke.
I use an antenna tube slices to center them, find one that fits tight in the pistons, then drill out the center to fit shaft.

Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-wp_20141126_19_31_18_pro.jpg  
__________________
Sofa King Racing
Sofa King is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net