Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #7261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
So I've been running the car for a few months and I thought would post my thoughts on avid vs stock chassis.

I ran the stock chassis for about about 2-3 months, then ran the avid for about 1.5 months. Got the car setup about as good as i could with both chassis and here's what I found.

I've found that the stock chassis allows me to carry more corner speed, accelerates faster, lands better, and has more traction(which I attribute to flex).

The avid chassis seems to mellow out the steering, and overall makes the car easier to drive but it's slower on primary track I run on. Where the avid chassis seemed to show promise was on a high grip bumpy surface where you need something that's very consistent.

I would not say this chassis is a must buy, and it might make you slower if you don't run on super high grip. I'm back to the stock chassis simply because my lap times are faster.
I found the same results. No matter what I changed, I couldn't get the same response/feel and lap times as the stock ccarbon chassis. I ended up taking the avid chassis off after 2 weeks of testing.
nv529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #7262
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ordered some Serpent sway bars and bent/cut them to fit my car yesterday. Had our first actual race at a new indoor carpet track today and it was a disaster. The car was traction rolling like crazy compared to practice last week where I ran the stock black sway bars.

I didn't get the new ones bent just right and couldn't fit the inside collars on the rear bar but told myself it would be OK. I think there was way too much slack before the bars started to have an effect then all the sudden the big sway bars would kick in and actually cause the traction roll by abruptly stopping the body roll.

I was quite a bit faster with my B5M than with the D413. I guess I'm going to buy the Avid chassis and go back to the stock sway bars.
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #7263
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
I found the same results. No matter what I changed, I couldn't get the same response/feel and lap times as the stock ccarbon chassis. I ended up taking the avid chassis off after 2 weeks of testing.
What are your track conditions?
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 AM   #7264
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post

What rod ends are these? And are those the stock ball studs?
Boostgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 AM   #7265
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostgod View Post
What rod ends are these? And are those the stock ball studs?
Those are the AE B5 ball ends
SCT - Tekno SCT410 / Losi 22SCT 2.0
ST - Losi 22T 2.0
WagwanBumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 AM   #7266
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
What are your track conditions?
medium bite indoor clay.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #7267
ISH
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
Those are the AE B5 ball ends
Yeah AE ball cups and ball studs. you will need a longer tie rod for the steering links if you switch to AE ball cups.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #7268
ISH
Tech Adept

heres the most updated pic.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #7269
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Finally broke something on my car Saturday, the steering rack snapped in two. Luckily, there was a guy there with his D413 and not racing it that day, so I borrowed it to finish the day. Ordered a spare stock rack and an RCShox rack. Can't believe that companies like Avid, Schelle, and Exotek haven't made an aluminum bb rack for this car yet.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #7270
ISH
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Finally broke something on my car Saturday, the steering rack snapped in two. Luckily, there was a guy there with his D413 and not racing it that day, so I borrowed it to finish the day. Ordered a spare stock rack and an RCShox rack. Can't believe that companies like Avid, Schelle, and Exotek haven't made an aluminum bb rack for this car yet.
I heard of these breaking but i don't see how. must have been a gnarly hit.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #7271
Tech Adept

Default Stock vs Avid Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
So I've been running the car for a few months and I thought would post my thoughts on avid vs stock chassis.

I ran the stock chassis for about about 2-3 months, then ran the avid for about 1.5 months. Got the car setup about as good as i could with both chassis and here's what I found.

I've found that the stock chassis allows me to carry more corner speed, accelerates faster, lands better, and has more traction(which I attribute to flex).

The avid chassis seems to mellow out the steering, and overall makes the car easier to drive but it's slower on primary track I run on. Where the avid chassis seemed to show promise was on a high grip bumpy surface where you need something that's very consistent.

I would not say this chassis is a must buy, and it might make you slower if you don't run on super high grip. I'm back to the stock chassis simply because my lap times are faster.

I agree - I have tested both chassis a few times now. I agree with the above assessment. I am also faster on the stock chassis... I personally think the Avid Chassis would perform great on an outdoor track - running Mod - where weight is not an issue.

One thing I do wish - and plan to try... is that the stock chassis could accept the Avid Servo Mount.... that thing is a brilliant idea... I plan to drill out the stock chassis and attempt to mount the Avid Single Side floating servo mount this weekend. I will post picks when complete.

But I also agree - it is not a must buy... Pick up other necessities on your list first before this chassis!

I have tested this at three indoor clay tracks now. Two with Medium / High Traction and the other with lower dusty traction.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #7272
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropalmer View Post
One thing I do wish - and plan to try... is that the stock chassis could accept the Avid Servo Mount.... that thing is a brilliant idea... I plan to drill out the stock chassis and attempt to mount the Avid Single Side floating servo mount this weekend. I will post picks when complete.
Not sure if the design is the same or similar but the B44.3 has the single sided mount and it flexes a lot. You can watch it flex even with no pressure on the tires.
CaseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #7273
Tech Adept

Default Potter for President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzracer758 View Post

Potter you always have the coolest $hit!
Team Tekin FTW!!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #7274
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Schelle pretty much only makes stuff for the AE cars. Avid will be releasing more stuff as time goes, because Ty is an Avid driver. Exotek? Who know what they will release, they have a solid coverage across many cars/trucks. But they sometimes ignore some things. The RcShox bearing rack is very good, as well as their pistons.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #7275
Tech Adept

Default Avid Servo Mount?

Has anyone tried drilling and mounting the Avid Single Side Floating Servo mount to the stock CF D413 chassis?

I am going to attempt to drill mine out... but I wanted to get some feedback first... if anyone has already done this.

Thanks!