Originally Posted by Dog Runner View Post
Glad it was working for you.
Whoa whoa WHOA.....what setup?
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #7112
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Our new indoor carpet track opened yesterday for practice so I finally got to run my D413. I actually based my setup on the Tessmann Ozite carpet setup even though I was running pin tires. Main difference was I had red springs on both ends and I ran 11 degrees of kickup. I also ran the stock 4 dot ackerman arms since I didn't notice they were different in time to order the 5 dot.

The steering was a little twitchy at first with my Protek 150S servo running at 7.4 volts but I dialed in 30 percent expo on my radio and that smoothed it out just fine. I'm running the RCShox ballbearing ackerman bar and I'm still annoyed by the steering slop from the loose ball cups. But I can't really say that it hurt anything on the track.

The front seemed way over damped on the bench with the 4X1.2 pistons and heavy oil but it worked great on the track. We had a couple jumps with pretty big air and it landed smooth and in control even when I over shot the landing ramp a few times.

Only problem was the stiff suspension made it terrible over a short whoops section but none of the buggies were handling it well. I think they are going to tame it down a bit before the first race next week.

There were some faster and much more experienced drivers than me but I believe my D413 was as good as any buggy out there and better than many of them.

I think I'm going to try modding some bigger sway bars to work on it to see if I can turn in a little harder in a couple spots without traction rolling but I don't feel the need to change much right now. I'm sure the Avid chassis would help too with the lower CG but the idea of replacing the chassis on a brand new car just bothers me for some reason.
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #7113
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
Will you be racing this Saturday? A few of us from Raleigh are coming down for the race and I will be bringing my D413. I have the Reedy setup on mine, maybe we can switch cars for a few laps to check out the differences. I had the only D413 there for the big opening race... glad to see the car and the class could be gaining some additional strength.

-Tim
Tim, sorry I missed your message. I was down in Savannah at the CWC.

Did you make it to the Beach? If so, how did the setup work?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #7114
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle everett View Post
Whoa whoa WHOA.....what setup?
This is the one I mentioned a couple pages back - Nats setup except 37.5/32.5 oil and one hole in on the rear tower.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #7115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Runner View Post
This is the one I mentioned a couple pages back - Nats setup except 37.5/32.5 oil and one hole in on the rear tower.
I actually wound up with 40/35 shock oils and the shock positions as indicated on the set up sheet. But this is just a matter of tuning to the track and personal preference. I think the main point of my reply was that the nationals setup is a better base than the Reedy setup I was working from before. This was just my opinion, but it certainly showed in my times and consistency vs previous weeks.

Without seeing how good your car looked the week before and seeing your post here I probably wouldn't have tried it. So thanks again.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #7116
Tech Adept

RENOV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #7117
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
I actually wound up with 40/35 shock oils and the shock positions as indicated on the set up sheet. But this is just a matter of tuning to the track and personal preference. I think the main point of my reply was that the nationals setup is a better base than the Reedy setup I was working from before. This was just my opinion, but it certainly showed in my times and consistency vs previous weeks.

Without seeing how good your car looked the week before and seeing your post here I probably wouldn't have tried it. So thanks again.
Ran the gun smoke at lhr Saturday. Got smoked by nats.
Moving on....
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #7118
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENOV8R View Post
Is there any point to this? I know there was speculation that a lot of the destroyed spurs were due to the carbon part not being secure particularly with 2mm button head screws so I just put a washer under cap heads on mine and tightened the heck out of those four screws.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #7119
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj94704 View Post
Is there any point to this? I know there was speculation that a lot of the destroyed spurs were due to the carbon part not being secure particularly with 2mm button head screws so I just put a washer under cap heads on mine and tightened the heck out of those four screws.
Bling?
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #7120
Tech Addict

Quote:
I would think it's more bling than anything....I'm liking the wing mounts and buttons though..The nuts inside the stock mounts spin for me so I ordered up a set just now...Just have to send them off to get anodized to match the rest of the car..

Thanks to:
Tekin - www.teamtekin.com
Thunder Designs - www.thunderdesigns.net
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #7121
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasiisaM View Post
I would think it's more bling than anything....I'm liking the wing mounts and buttons though..The nuts inside the stock mounts spin for me so I ordered up a set just now...Just have to send them off to get anodized to match the rest of the car..
I guess I find CF weave sexier than bright anodized aluminum.

Are the wing mounts prone to breakage? I was tempted to machine something like that out of scrap delrin just so that I could avoid using clips on the wings but concluded that something rigid would just lead to more wing damage/tears in crashes, and I foresee a lot of crashes in my future.

I think the only alloy upgrades i'm looking forward to are clamping wheel hexes. Anyone make those yet? I thought the cheap 4mm integy ones I had were going to fit but their drive pins are too thick for the spindle and the stock ones are too long for the integy hexes, maybe I'll just grind those down enough to fit. I'm fairly sure some axial hexes I have would fit in the back with similarly minor modifications but I just put a dab of shoe goo on both front and rear for now and called it a day.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #7122
Tech Adept

That's what I was thinking, just bling. The only part that interests me is the centre diff plate. If in fact the occasional stripped spur is the result of flex in the area, this may help. Wish these companies would advertise the weight of their products. This buggy was designed to be as light as possible so if an aftermarket part comes out and it's heavier than the stock part I'm not interested. Even if it is all shiny
RENOV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #7123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Still on the original spur gear. Stripped spur gears pretty much all came from not securing the motor in place well enough. Replaced the stock button head motor clamp screws with cap head screws so they can be torqued down more and no more problems.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #7124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Still on the original spur gear. Stripped spur gears pretty much all came from not securing the motor in place well enough. Replaced the stock button head motor clamp screws with cap head screws so they can be torqued down more and no more problems.
i agree. still running the stock spur from May 2014. No issues at all. Actually, still running all stock parts. Have not broken any parts yet
skyline1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #7125
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Same, I am still on my original spur. I have a spare just in case...