R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes

Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #7066
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The other thing to check with the 4700 4pole 550 motor and 540 motor... is there a difference in diameter of the cans, it looks like they are about same size. Also With 550 being longer you'll have to mess with the layout of ESC and or Receiver box.

I think if you turn down that 4700 4pole too much it wont be as efficient

You might want to consider a 6.5T or 7.5T if this is your first 4w Buggy.

I've raced at your track a few times with my D413 and my 7.5T worked out perfect there, was able to clear pretty much all the jumps and I was able to get 3rd at Grand opening trophy race.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #7067
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
can you get a 48 pitch pinion on that motor?
Indeed they make 5mm 48p pinion gears.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #7068
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
The other thing to check with the 4700 4pole 550 motor and 540 motor... is there a difference in diameter of the cans, it looks like they are about same size. Also With 550 being longer you'll have to mess with the layout of ESC and or Receiver box.

I think if you turn down that 4700 4pole too much it wont be as efficient

You might want to consider a 6.5T or 7.5T if this is your first 4w Buggy.

I've raced at your track a few times with my D413 and my 7.5T worked out perfect there, was able to clear pretty much all the jumps and I was able to get 3rd at Grand opening trophy race.
The cans are practically identical with the exception of two things. The hobbywing is maybe 3mm longer and it also has several ridges around the can in the center that extend out from the can a mm or so. I run the shorty pack so only my receiver could be affected but just holding the motor up to the other motor it looks as though i would have enough clearance. I would rather just run a lower turn 540 motor so that people do not complain if I beat them that I am cheating, but I also don't want to go out and buy a new motor for x amount of money.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #7069
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Curious what size Pinion "T" would be needed for the 4700. Might have to look up a gear calculator.

SMC Racing has a variety of motors and are well priced as well
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #7070
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

just get a turnigy red can motor is your going to buy.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #7071
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
just get a turnigy red can motor is your going to buy.
funny you should say that as that is the motor i currently run. but i had originally bought it for a 2wd sct.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #7072
Tech Prophet

Boom. super speed

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...approved_.html
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #7073
Tech Prophet

nothing wrong with the turnigy motors. Lots of people use them locally. A friend lent me his 8.5 for States and it was fine. I ended up boosting it, because I wanted more. Now I run a 6.5 and end up turning it down a little. IMO, a 7.5 would probably be perfect for me
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #7074
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looking for a gently used D413. If you are looking to sell, p.m. me.
Big Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #7075
Tech Adept

I finally got my D413 on the track after overcoming some steering servo horn issues and let me tell you this think is sweet!

I was running at Beach Hobbies in Myrtle Beach, SC. It is a medium bite, damp clay indoor track. The current layout a moderately technical, high speed with some fairly aggressive jumps for 1/10th scale. This layout has seen a lot of racing and due for a full redesign in February, so its starting to accumulate some bumps.

I went with the Space Coast Nat setup over the Reedy setup because that track seemed more open and flowing like our than the tight and choppy OCRC. I ran clay compound 60mm electrons with stock PL foam on PL wheels on all four corners. The front wheels were 22-4 models.

Initially the car felt like the rear end wanted to step out a little too much for my taste, so bumped the top rear shock mounts in one hole. This helped some but still a little too active for me, so on my next run I only sauced the rears. That was the ticket! The car was super easy to drive after that. I think I will experiment with some other front tires so that way I'm not depending on sauce to keep my car balanced.

After I got the car to an acceptable setup, I let anyone who wanted give it a couple of laps. 4wd buggy isn't a big class here at the beach. The old track wasn't big enough, and this track has only been open since November. Anyhow I want to see the class grow and a great way to do that is let people try your gear.

Everyone who drove it loved it. It even too a couple solid hits, cartwheels, snagging pipe nails, clipping the cinder block wall... and it came away unharmed. I think that impressed people the most after seeing 3 or 4 B44.2s shatter after mere a sketchy landing.

I probably sold a five or six people on these buggys with that little demo. We would have a real strong contingent after tax season.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #7076

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

After owning a Durango V3 and having to replace component after component from VERY mild contact with anything, I was never going to run 4x4 buggy again. Our local track owner got one of these and handed me the wheel for a couple of laps and I was stunned. First off, it handled nearly perfectly. Second it was built with a soundness that inspired confidence. If you can't trust your car to survive the race you can't win the race.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #7077
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillypete View Post
I finally got my D413 on the track after overcoming some steering servo horn issues and let me tell you this think is sweet!

I was running at Beach Hobbies in Myrtle Beach, SC. It is a medium bite, damp clay indoor track. The current layout a moderately technical, high speed with some fairly aggressive jumps for 1/10th scale. This layout has seen a lot of racing and due for a full redesign in February, so its starting to accumulate some bumps.

I went with the Space Coast Nat setup over the Reedy setup because that track seemed more open and flowing like our than the tight and choppy OCRC. I ran clay compound 60mm electrons with stock PL foam on PL wheels on all four corners. The front wheels were 22-4 models.

Initially the car felt like the rear end wanted to step out a little too much for my taste, so bumped the top rear shock mounts in one hole. This helped some but still a little too active for me, so on my next run I only sauced the rears. That was the ticket! The car was super easy to drive after that. I think I will experiment with some other front tires so that way I'm not depending on sauce to keep my car balanced.

After I got the car to an acceptable setup, I let anyone who wanted give it a couple of laps. 4wd buggy isn't a big class here at the beach. The old track wasn't big enough, and this track has only been open since November. Anyhow I want to see the class grow and a great way to do that is let people try your gear.

Everyone who drove it loved it. It even too a couple solid hits, cartwheels, snagging pipe nails, clipping the cinder block wall... and it came away unharmed. I think that impressed people the most after seeing 3 or 4 B44.2s shatter after mere a sketchy landing.

I probably sold a five or six people on these buggys with that little demo. We would have a real strong contingent after tax season.
Will you be racing this Saturday? A few of us from Raleigh are coming down for the race and I will be bringing my D413. I have the Reedy setup on mine, maybe we can switch cars for a few laps to check out the differences. I had the only D413 there for the big opening race... glad to see the car and the class could be gaining some additional strength.

-Tim
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #7078
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/St...cf2a4.jpg.html

This is my current setup using the Schelle chassis. Runs good on low and medium grip tracks. I usually use 2.4 M4 electrons f/r, but I've also used 2.4M4 transistor front and 2.4 M4 suburb rears.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #7079
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
After owning a Durango V3 and having to replace component after component from VERY mild contact with anything, I was never going to run 4x4 buggy again. Our local track owner got one of these and handed me the wheel for a couple of laps and I was stunned. First off, it handled nearly perfectly. Second it was built with a soundness that inspired confidence. If you can't trust your car to survive the race you can't win the race.
Very true with my current wheeler as soon as i have some confidence and car feels good, I lay into the gas and boom, broken,thus making me drive more cautious and in return? slower lap times .
Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #7080
Tech Rookie

I see you guys are using traxxas xring orings. Will the tlr ones work also?
ChrisL99 is offline   Reply With Quote