Like Tree35Likes

Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #676
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skengines View Post
It wont even be close to 469.

Should be 400 at the most.
Agree. HB usually has great prices compared to the competition. More than B44 but less than TLR and certainly Kyosho is my guess.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #677
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones8352 View Post
My guess is $469.99. Cain what electronics are you planning on using including the servo?
well, still debating if I am going to get one. Its going to definitely be more of a want the way classes are out here lol.

But if I get one, I am hoping to use my JR9100S servo.

For electronics, I want to try Vipers latest high end ESC and possibly a motor from them. This will all be paired with some IP lipos for sure as well as futaba gear, the antenna less receiver.

But, if I don't go that route for servo, it would be my Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and probably a 6.5 V3.0 Competition motor.

one thing curious about, looking at the layout shown with the shorty here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112723

I was wondering since we are balancing the shorty relative to the motor, is it better to run the ESC behind the motor and then the reciever up front?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #678
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
well, still debating if I am going to get one. Its going to definitely be more of a want the way classes are out here lol.

But if I get one, I am hoping to use my JR9100S servo.

For electronics, I want to try Vipers latest high end ESC and possibly a motor from them. This will all be paired with some IP lipos for sure as well as futaba gear, the antenna less receiver.

But, if I don't go that route for servo, it would be my Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and probably a 6.5 V3.0 Competition motor.

I was wondering since we are balancing the shorty relative to the motor, is it better to run the ESC behind the motor and then the reciever up front?
I understand some of your concerns, a while back I bought 4 digital kitchen scales so I could be more accurate balancing my rigs. I do it to all even my truggies. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, it's easy to setup a rig and have it way out of balance if you don't have a way to check it. I'm totally new to 1/10 4x4 buggy racing, I need to qet my 1/8 mentality out of the equation. My son and I took our sct410's to a nice indoor track today and I got some great advice from one of the pro (very fast driver, consistently fast) and he told me to go with a less power to go fast on smaller indoor tracks when we build our new Hot Bodies buggies. I'm still kind of on the wall, I have a ton of 1/8 motor etc that do me zero good. I might do something like a 7.5 Reedy, 1258 Savox powered by a mmp with the sensor wire. I would go with a Tekin esc but Paying over $200 for an esc just leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I run my sct410 with a mmp powering a Tekin HD 4300 and it runs smooth as silk, has too much power but very smooth. LOL Any way our local pro advised me to run a Reedy 8.5 to 10.5 if I planned on being successful on their track. The track is super smooth clay about 35'x75' and the layout changed about every six weeks. Doesn't get boring! I love advice, like I said before my only real racing experience is 1/8 e buggy and 1/8 e truggy, plus one season 1/10 sct410. Ok guys the designer has already told us they're shooting for last Nov shipping, yea right, hopefully before Xmax. So to get us off of that topic what are U planning on running for electronics. Thanks for your input Cain, I'll concider your ideas. Has any body tried the new Tekin Gen 2 motors, they're $100 not bad how do they work? Good bad?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #679
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:

That's what I'll be doing if for no other reason than to shorten my wires and create a cleaner layout.
I'm pretty sure the have the ESC in the front for better cooling.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #680
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

cool, glad I wasn't the odd ball, unless you are me are lol.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #681
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I am thinking solar d770 servo, sp gt 2.0 esc and reedy 8.5 motor. With shorty
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #682
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
cool, glad I wasn't the odd ball, unless you are me are lol.
Oh, I'm an oddball all right.

Last edited by Matthew_Armeni; 10-26-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Matthew_Armeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #683
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones8352 View Post
I might do something like a 7.5 Reedy, 1258 Savox powered by a mmp with the sensor wire. I would go with a Tekin esc but Paying over $200 for an esc just leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I run my sct410 with a mmp powering a Tekin HD 4300 and it runs smooth as silk, has too much power but very smooth. LOL Any way our local pro advised me to run a Reedy 8.5 to 10.5 if I planned on being successful on their track. Good bad?
I'd agree on the 8.5-10.5 but I'm a low power drive better sorta guy. There are plenty of great esc's under $200, there is more than one brand.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #684
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Agree. HB usually has great prices compared to the competition. More than B44 but less than TLR and certainly Kyosho is my guess.
They used to be a lot cheaper. I bought my D8 about a year after they came out and payed like $375. D812 is like $520 now for basically the same buggy just updated.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #685
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzler View Post
They used to be a lot cheaper. I bought my D8 about a year after they came out and payed like $375. D812 is like $520 now for basically the same buggy just updated.
You gotta understand the old d8 lacked a lot of important stuff. All four shocks were the same size and Hara won the championship using kyosho rear shocks. The d812 is not an updated d8. It's drives completely different as the engineer has said. Goin2dirt stated the price will be competitive, he didn't say it would be cheap. But compared to the other top racing cars the price is on the lower end.

If you are looking for a good esc sub $200 try ko propo. Buy it from ko propo($144), not amain($229). It's max continuos is higher than r10 pro's max peak. A friend had one and I was impressed how temps were down after an hour straight of driving. He had an orion pro race motor. It wasn't as smooth as my r10 pro reedy sonic combo but it actually felt better. Too smooth can be boring without punch on high traction. The only thing is I don't think the esc has boost.
latentspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #686
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
I'd agree on the 8.5-10.5 but I'm a low power drive better sorta guy. There are plenty of great esc's under $200, there is more than one brand.
What brand esc do you like? I'm like a lot of guys here, I'm not afraid to spend money, I just don't like throwing it away. I feel that some of the manufactures take advantage of their names, I feel some charge a bit too much. That's the reason I want to get info from others so I can buy quality equipment without getting robbed. Thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #687
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Speed Passion Reventon Pro or Brushless Hobbies are the best bang for the buck. Also really like the Team Powers ESCs.
AlderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #688
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
You gotta understand the old d8 lacked a lot of important stuff. All four shocks were the same size and Hara won the championship using kyosho rear shocks. The d812 is not an updated d8. It's drives completely different as the engineer has said. Goin2dirt stated the price will be competitive, he didn't say it would be cheap. But compared to the other top racing cars the price is on the lower end.

If you are looking for a good esc sub $200 try ko propo. Buy it from ko propo($144), not amain($229). It's max continuos is higher than r10 pro's max peak. A friend had one and I was impressed how temps were down after an hour straight of driving. He had an orion pro race motor. It wasn't as smooth as my r10 pro reedy sonic combo but it actually felt better. Too smooth can be boring without punch on high traction. The only thing is I don't think the esc has boost.

I agree the d812 is a much different buggy than the d8, not much of anything is common between the two cars. But hara did not use kyosho shocks on his d8 when he won the worlds. Ty was well know to use kyosho shocks later through testing before the d812, but hara wheeled the later to be hara edition car with the hb 112 mm rear shocks with the high mount tower vs the 98mm that the regular d8 came with back then.

Back on topic, can't wait for this d413 to kit the shelves. I'm betting the price will be between $400-$450 and will be worth every penny. Plan to run a hw 120a with a reedy 7.5 Mach 2. Should be killer
Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #689
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderBoy View Post
Speed Passion Reventon Pro or Brushless Hobbies are the best bang for the buck. Also really like the Team Powers ESCs.
Seriously? How on earth is Brushless Hobbies the best bang for the buck when you can buy the exact same ESC from HobbyKing for half the price?

And motors from SMC for $20 less?

But on to positives, when I get my D413 a Viper VTX10r will go into it probably with a SMC motor, not sure of how many turns, I'm starting to think that the theory of going with going with something like 10.5-8.5 might be beneficial to my driving. Servo will be a XP DS1015.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #690
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post

The D812 IS an updated D8. It says right on their website "Based on the D8 platform,the D812 improves the D8 in every way". So a Losi 3.0 isn't an updated 2.0? An MBX7 isn't an updated MBX6? Companies are always trying to improve on a current chassis rather than completely redesign it. I'm sure a couple years after the D413 is out they will "update" it also and call it something else. Hotbodies is usually pretty slow about updating their cars though. Not like Losi where there is a 2.0 or 3.0 coming out every year or so.