R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #676
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skengines View Post
It wont even be close to 469.

Should be 400 at the most.
Agree. HB usually has great prices compared to the competition. More than B44 but less than TLR and certainly Kyosho is my guess.
__________________
TRF 418 - Team Powers 17.5, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Xpert servo
Xray T4 2016 - Trinity D4, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Ko Propo servo and radio
KustomRCGraphics.com (Best looking novice on the track)
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #677
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,026
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones8352 View Post
My guess is $469.99. Cain what electronics are you planning on using including the servo?
well, still debating if I am going to get one. Its going to definitely be more of a want the way classes are out here lol.

But if I get one, I am hoping to use my JR9100S servo.

For electronics, I want to try Vipers latest high end ESC and possibly a motor from them. This will all be paired with some IP lipos for sure as well as futaba gear, the antenna less receiver.

But, if I don't go that route for servo, it would be my Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and probably a 6.5 V3.0 Competition motor.

one thing curious about, looking at the layout shown with the shorty here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112723

I was wondering since we are balancing the shorty relative to the motor, is it better to run the ESC behind the motor and then the reciever up front?
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #678
Tech Fanatic
 
jones8352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
well, still debating if I am going to get one. Its going to definitely be more of a want the way classes are out here lol.

But if I get one, I am hoping to use my JR9100S servo.

For electronics, I want to try Vipers latest high end ESC and possibly a motor from them. This will all be paired with some IP lipos for sure as well as futaba gear, the antenna less receiver.

But, if I don't go that route for servo, it would be my Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro and probably a 6.5 V3.0 Competition motor.

one thing curious about, looking at the layout shown with the shorty here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112723

I was wondering since we are balancing the shorty relative to the motor, is it better to run the ESC behind the motor and then the reciever up front?
I understand some of your concerns, a while back I bought 4 digital kitchen scales so I could be more accurate balancing my rigs. I do it to all even my truggies. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, it's easy to setup a rig and have it way out of balance if you don't have a way to check it. I'm totally new to 1/10 4x4 buggy racing, I need to qet my 1/8 mentality out of the equation. My son and I took our sct410's to a nice indoor track today and I got some great advice from one of the pro (very fast driver, consistently fast) and he told me to go with a less power to go fast on smaller indoor tracks when we build our new Hot Bodies buggies. I'm still kind of on the wall, I have a ton of 1/8 motor etc that do me zero good. I might do something like a 7.5 Reedy, 1258 Savox powered by a mmp with the sensor wire. I would go with a Tekin esc but Paying over $200 for an esc just leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I run my sct410 with a mmp powering a Tekin HD 4300 and it runs smooth as silk, has too much power but very smooth. LOL Any way our local pro advised me to run a Reedy 8.5 to 10.5 if I planned on being successful on their track. The track is super smooth clay about 35'x75' and the layout changed about every six weeks. Doesn't get boring! I love advice, like I said before my only real racing experience is 1/8 e buggy and 1/8 e truggy, plus one season 1/10 sct410. Ok guys the designer has already told us they're shooting for last Nov shipping, yea right, hopefully before Xmax. So to get us off of that topic what are U planning on running for electronics. Thanks for your input Cain, I'll concider your ideas. Has any body tried the new Tekin Gen 2 motors, they're $100 not bad how do they work? Good bad?
__________________
Jerry
Having too much fun!!!
jones8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #679
Tech Master
 
Matthew_Armeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,482
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
...

one thing curious about, looking at the layout shown with the shorty here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112723

I was wondering since we are balancing the shorty relative to the motor, is it better to run the ESC behind the motor and then the reciever up front?
That's what I'll be doing if for no other reason than to shorten my wires and create a cleaner layout.
I'm pretty sure the have the ESC in the front for better cooling.
__________________
Tekno RC
Matthew_Armeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #680
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,026
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

cool, glad I wasn't the odd ball, unless you are me are lol.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #681
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,944
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

I am thinking solar d770 servo, sp gt 2.0 esc and reedy 8.5 motor. With shorty
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #682
Tech Master
 
Matthew_Armeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,482
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
cool, glad I wasn't the odd ball, unless you are me are lol.
Oh, I'm an oddball all right.
__________________
Tekno RC

Last edited by Matthew_Armeni; 10-26-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Matthew_Armeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #683
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,386
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones8352 View Post
I might do something like a 7.5 Reedy, 1258 Savox powered by a mmp with the sensor wire. I would go with a Tekin esc but Paying over $200 for an esc just leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I run my sct410 with a mmp powering a Tekin HD 4300 and it runs smooth as silk, has too much power but very smooth. LOL Any way our local pro advised me to run a Reedy 8.5 to 10.5 if I planned on being successful on their track. Good bad?
I'd agree on the 8.5-10.5 but I'm a low power drive better sorta guy. There are plenty of great esc's under $200, there is more than one brand.
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #684
Tech Addict
 
huzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hemet
Posts: 704
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Agree. HB usually has great prices compared to the competition. More than B44 but less than TLR and certainly Kyosho is my guess.
They used to be a lot cheaper. I bought my D8 about a year after they came out and payed like $375. D812 is like $520 now for basically the same buggy just updated.
__________________
Tekno EB48.2,Associated B5,Losi SCTE Pro8,Losi xxxsct,Jammin X2 ,Jammin scrt10,RC10.
huzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #685
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzler View Post
They used to be a lot cheaper. I bought my D8 about a year after they came out and payed like $375. D812 is like $520 now for basically the same buggy just updated.
You gotta understand the old d8 lacked a lot of important stuff. All four shocks were the same size and Hara won the championship using kyosho rear shocks. The d812 is not an updated d8. It's drives completely different as the engineer has said. Goin2dirt stated the price will be competitive, he didn't say it would be cheap. But compared to the other top racing cars the price is on the lower end.

If you are looking for a good esc sub $200 try ko propo. Buy it from ko propo($144), not amain($229). It's max continuos is higher than r10 pro's max peak. A friend had one and I was impressed how temps were down after an hour straight of driving. He had an orion pro race motor. It wasn't as smooth as my r10 pro reedy sonic combo but it actually felt better. Too smooth can be boring without punch on high traction. The only thing is I don't think the esc has boost.
latentspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #686
Tech Fanatic
 
jones8352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
I'd agree on the 8.5-10.5 but I'm a low power drive better sorta guy. There are plenty of great esc's under $200, there is more than one brand.
What brand esc do you like? I'm like a lot of guys here, I'm not afraid to spend money, I just don't like throwing it away. I feel that some of the manufactures take advantage of their names, I feel some charge a bit too much. That's the reason I want to get info from others so I can buy quality equipment without getting robbed. Thanks
__________________
Jerry
Having too much fun!!!
jones8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #687
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 794
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Speed Passion Reventon Pro or Brushless Hobbies are the best bang for the buck. Also really like the Team Powers ESCs.
AlderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #688
Tech Master
 
ovalracer1m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
You gotta understand the old d8 lacked a lot of important stuff. All four shocks were the same size and Hara won the championship using kyosho rear shocks. The d812 is not an updated d8. It's drives completely different as the engineer has said. Goin2dirt stated the price will be competitive, he didn't say it would be cheap. But compared to the other top racing cars the price is on the lower end.

If you are looking for a good esc sub $200 try ko propo. Buy it from ko propo($144), not amain($229). It's max continuos is higher than r10 pro's max peak. A friend had one and I was impressed how temps were down after an hour straight of driving. He had an orion pro race motor. It wasn't as smooth as my r10 pro reedy sonic combo but it actually felt better. Too smooth can be boring without punch on high traction. The only thing is I don't think the esc has boost.

I agree the d812 is a much different buggy than the d8, not much of anything is common between the two cars. But hara did not use kyosho shocks on his d8 when he won the worlds. Ty was well know to use kyosho shocks later through testing before the d812, but hara wheeled the later to be hara edition car with the hb 112 mm rear shocks with the high mount tower vs the 98mm that the regular d8 came with back then.

Back on topic, can't wait for this d413 to kit the shelves. I'm betting the price will be between $400-$450 and will be worth every penny. Plan to run a hw 120a with a reedy 7.5 Mach 2. Should be killer
__________________
Noah Mattocks
ovalracer1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #689
Tech Elite
 
Grasschopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,647
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderBoy View Post
Speed Passion Reventon Pro or Brushless Hobbies are the best bang for the buck. Also really like the Team Powers ESCs.
Seriously? How on earth is Brushless Hobbies the best bang for the buck when you can buy the exact same ESC from HobbyKing for half the price?

And motors from SMC for $20 less?

But on to positives, when I get my D413 a Viper VTX10r will go into it probably with a SMC motor, not sure of how many turns, I'm starting to think that the theory of going with going with something like 10.5-8.5 might be beneficial to my driving. Servo will be a XP DS1015.
__________________
www.smc-racing.net for all of your Lipo needs
RC10B5, Caster S10B Pro, 22T
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #690
Tech Addict
 
huzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hemet
Posts: 704
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
You gotta understand the old d8 lacked a lot of important stuff. All four shocks were the same size and Hara won the championship using kyosho rear shocks. The d812 is not an updated d8. It's drives completely different as the engineer has said. Goin2dirt stated the price will be competitive, he didn't say it would be cheap. But compared to the other top racing cars the price is on the lower end.

If you are looking for a good esc sub $200 try ko propo. Buy it from ko propo($144), not amain($229). It's max continuos is higher than r10 pro's max peak. A friend had one and I was impressed how temps were down after an hour straight of driving. He had an orion pro race motor. It wasn't as smooth as my r10 pro reedy sonic combo but it actually felt better. Too smooth can be boring without punch on high traction. The only thing is I don't think the esc has boost.
The D812 IS an updated D8. It says right on their website "Based on the D8 platform,the D812 improves the D8 in every way". So a Losi 3.0 isn't an updated 2.0? An MBX7 isn't an updated MBX6? Companies are always trying to improve on a current chassis rather than completely redesign it. I'm sure a couple years after the D413 is out they will "update" it also and call it something else. Hotbodies is usually pretty slow about updating their cars though. Not like Losi where there is a 2.0 or 3.0 coming out every year or so.
__________________
Tekno EB48.2,Associated B5,Losi SCTE Pro8,Losi xxxsct,Jammin X2 ,Jammin scrt10,RC10.
huzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
jery76
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:13 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net