R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #6691
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 16
Default

So i ran mine a couple times and i was taking it easy for two reasons. one i did not use the proper connectors, i decided to use deans plugs and the body did not fit on because too much cable bunching up. other was i was using the losi 22r front 2wd tires. ive since ficed those issues but is it just mine or is this thing loud? mine is almost as loud as my Losi SCTE in regards to the diff. I am using a steel pinion gear, should i get an aluminum one to see if that makes it a little quieter?
Nisstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #6692
Tech Regular
 
JDJamminX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 493
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisstyre View Post
So i ran mine a couple times and i was taking it easy for two reasons. one i did not use the proper connectors, i decided to use deans plugs and the body did not fit on because too much cable bunching up. other was i was using the losi 22r front 2wd tires. ive since ficed those issues but is it just mine or is this thing loud? mine is almost as loud as my Losi SCTE in regards to the diff. I am using a steel pinion gear, should i get an aluminum one to see if that makes it a little quieter?
I would keep using the steel, the aluminum has been known to strip the spur gear. Its not the center gear making all noise, just the whole drive train resonates sound more then other cars. Its better noisy anyways, makes people scared of you...lol
__________________
LRP - MUGEN - AKA - OCRC - UPGRADE - SCHELLE - DE RACING
JDJamminX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #6693
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Just curious from those that have tried it. I see a lot of guys are running forward swept arms, would this be similar to running the +4 chassis without the forward swept arms? Just curious if these would have similar effects. Thanks!
AMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #6694
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Middle, TN.
Posts: 569
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJamminX1 View Post
I would keep using the steel, the aluminum has been known to strip the spur gear. Its not the center gear making all noise, just the whole drive train resonates sound more then other cars. Its better noisy anyways, makes people scared of you...lol
I don't remember reading anything about aluminum pinions stripping spur gears more than steel. Why would a 48P aluminum pinion be any different than a 48P steel when it comes to wearing or stripping spurs?

I thought the stripped spurs were mostly from improper mesh or the motor moving after mesh was set.

-Chris
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #6695
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,376
Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I don't remember reading anything about aluminum pinions stripping spur gears more than steel. Why would a 48P aluminum pinion be any different than a 48P steel when it comes to wearing or stripping spurs?

I thought the stripped spurs were mostly from improper mesh or the motor moving after mesh was set.

-Chris
I wouldn't say aluminum pinions strips the spur, but more it tends to wear both pinion and spur more quickly causing a shorter life span for both. At least that is what I have found in the past..
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #6696
Tech Regular
 
kdeleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I don't remember reading anything about aluminum pinions stripping spur gears more than steel. Why would a 48P aluminum pinion be any different than a 48P steel when it comes to wearing or stripping spurs?

I thought the stripped spurs were mostly from improper mesh or the motor moving after mesh was set.

-Chris
I believe it was one of the early theories of why spurs were stripping before most now believe just to be a mesh or movement issue. I believe it happened to one person using an older pinion. So it was recommended to use steel as it lasts longer. But aluminum will work fine. I started with a new one and both pinion and spur still look new.

I believe Ty Tessman said he recommends steel. But he also said to use a new one with each new spur.

New seems to be key. If your pinion is worn, I bet steel or aluminum, there will be a problem.
kdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #6697
YoG
Tech Apprentice
 
YoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 92
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You are correct.Hardend steel pinion should always be new when using a new spur gear.I remember TY stated that
__________________
XRAY XB2ce/AE T5M/AE SC5M/HB D413/TEKNO SCT410
http://www.corvictoria.com/
YoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #6698
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Middle, TN.
Posts: 569
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I wouldn't say aluminum pinions strips the spur, but more it tends to wear both pinion and spur more quickly causing a shorter life span for both. At least that is what I have found in the past..
Hmm, it seems odd to me that an aluminum pinion would wear a plastic spur more than steel. But, I guess I'm kinda talking theory here so I certainly won't argue with your actual experience.

I'm sure the quality/hardness of the materials as well as the precision of the machining plays a large part in it but I wouldn't know where to begin comparing one manufacturer to another when it comes to all that.

-Chris
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #6699
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Middle, TN.
Posts: 569
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
I believe it was one of the early theories of why spurs were stripping before most now believe just to be a mesh or movement issue. I believe it happened to one person using an older pinion. So it was recommended to use steel as it lasts longer. But aluminum will work fine. I started with a new one and both pinion and spur still look new.

I believe Ty Tessman said he recommends steel. But he also said to use a new one with each new spur.

New seems to be key. If your pinion is worn, I bet steel or aluminum, there will be a problem.
That makes sense. In my opinion, for this specific kit, the best advice I've seen is watch for a high spot on the spur when you set your mesh. If you set your mesh at a random spot and don't check through a full rotation you can easily end up too tight or too loose overall, causing excessive wear.

-Chris

EDIT: A second part of that should be to always use thread lock on your motor mount screws when the mount is metal.
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #6700
Tech Regular
 
luist99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI
Posts: 349
Send a message via MSN to luist99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisstyre View Post
So i ran mine a couple times and i was taking it easy for two reasons. one i did not use the proper connectors, i decided to use deans plugs and the body did not fit on because too much cable bunching up. other was i was using the losi 22r front 2wd tires. ive since ficed those issues but is it just mine or is this thing loud? mine is almost as loud as my Losi SCTE in regards to the diff. I am using a steel pinion gear, should i get an aluminum one to see if that makes it a little quieter?
Mine was really loud until I found out that the shim inside the diff were in the wrong side causing a tight mesh. I also bought more to separated even more.
luist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #6701
Tech Apprentice
 
warpainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: zooville il
Posts: 70
Default

my car was really loud so i went re shimmed the diffs and put some mobil one red grease on them now the car is whisper quiet.
__________________
RC AMERICA, XRAY, WARPAINT, LEISURE HOURS HOBBIES, DLP PHOTOGRAPHY
warpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #6702
Tech Regular
 
Fastforward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO (USA)
Posts: 464
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpainter View Post
my car was really loud so i went re shimmed the diffs and put some mobil one red grease on them now the car is whisper quiet.
Can you provide more information on how to shim to reduce noise please?

Thanks
__________________
Bob DeGood
AKA Big Bad Bob
AKA BBB
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #6703
Tech Regular
 
luist99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI
Posts: 349
Send a message via MSN to luist99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastforward View Post
Can you provide more information on how to shim to reduce noise please?

Thanks
If you look at the instruction for the front and rear diff in the book shows to put the shim on the side of the screws. You just switch them to the other side on the bearing and if possible add more.
luist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #6704
Tech Regular
 
Fastforward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO (USA)
Posts: 464
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luist99 View Post
If you look at the instruction for the front and rear diff in the book shows to put the shim on the side of the screws. You just switch them to the other side on the bearing and if possible add more.
Thanks. Now I have a project for the Christmas break.
__________________
Bob DeGood
AKA Big Bad Bob
AKA BBB
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #6705
Tech Champion
 
Slotmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 5,678
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luist99 View Post
If you look at the instruction for the front and rear diff in the book shows to put the shim on the side of the screws. You just switch them to the other side on the bearing and if possible add more.
Are you shimming the gears closer or farther apart?
__________________
HOBBYWING NORTH AMERICA /FALCON SEKIDO/ TEKNO RC TEAM/VBC Racing America/VP-PRO RACING TIRES/2010 R.O.A.R. VTA National Champion Driving a T2R PRO/NANO-TECH Batteries Paul Rush
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:24 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net