R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree29Likes

Old 12-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #6691
Tech Rookie

So i ran mine a couple times and i was taking it easy for two reasons. one i did not use the proper connectors, i decided to use deans plugs and the body did not fit on because too much cable bunching up. other was i was using the losi 22r front 2wd tires. ive since ficed those issues but is it just mine or is this thing loud? mine is almost as loud as my Losi SCTE in regards to the diff. I am using a steel pinion gear, should i get an aluminum one to see if that makes it a little quieter?
Nisstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #6692
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisstyre View Post
So i ran mine a couple times and i was taking it easy for two reasons. one i did not use the proper connectors, i decided to use deans plugs and the body did not fit on because too much cable bunching up. other was i was using the losi 22r front 2wd tires. ive since ficed those issues but is it just mine or is this thing loud? mine is almost as loud as my Losi SCTE in regards to the diff. I am using a steel pinion gear, should i get an aluminum one to see if that makes it a little quieter?
I would keep using the steel, the aluminum has been known to strip the spur gear. Its not the center gear making all noise, just the whole drive train resonates sound more then other cars. Its better noisy anyways, makes people scared of you...lol
Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #6693
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just curious from those that have tried it. I see a lot of guys are running forward swept arms, would this be similar to running the +4 chassis without the forward swept arms? Just curious if these would have similar effects. Thanks!
AMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #6694
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJamminX1 View Post
I would keep using the steel, the aluminum has been known to strip the spur gear. Its not the center gear making all noise, just the whole drive train resonates sound more then other cars. Its better noisy anyways, makes people scared of you...lol
I don't remember reading anything about aluminum pinions stripping spur gears more than steel. Why would a 48P aluminum pinion be any different than a 48P steel when it comes to wearing or stripping spurs?

I thought the stripped spurs were mostly from improper mesh or the motor moving after mesh was set.

-Chris
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #6695
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I don't remember reading anything about aluminum pinions stripping spur gears more than steel. Why would a 48P aluminum pinion be any different than a 48P steel when it comes to wearing or stripping spurs?

I thought the stripped spurs were mostly from improper mesh or the motor moving after mesh was set.

-Chris
I wouldn't say aluminum pinions strips the spur, but more it tends to wear both pinion and spur more quickly causing a shorter life span for both. At least that is what I have found in the past..
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #6696
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post

-Chris
I believe it was one of the early theories of why spurs were stripping before most now believe just to be a mesh or movement issue. I believe it happened to one person using an older pinion. So it was recommended to use steel as it lasts longer. But aluminum will work fine. I started with a new one and both pinion and spur still look new.

I believe Ty Tessman said he recommends steel. But he also said to use a new one with each new spur.

New seems to be key. If your pinion is worn, I bet steel or aluminum, there will be a problem.
kdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #6697
YoG
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are correct.Hardend steel pinion should always be new when using a new spur gear.I remember TY stated that
Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #6698
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I wouldn't say aluminum pinions strips the spur, but more it tends to wear both pinion and spur more quickly causing a shorter life span for both. At least that is what I have found in the past..
Hmm, it seems odd to me that an aluminum pinion would wear a plastic spur more than steel. But, I guess I'm kinda talking theory here so I certainly won't argue with your actual experience.

I'm sure the quality/hardness of the materials as well as the precision of the machining plays a large part in it but I wouldn't know where to begin comparing one manufacturer to another when it comes to all that.

-Chris
Old 12-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #6699
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
I believe it was one of the early theories of why spurs were stripping before most now believe just to be a mesh or movement issue. I believe it happened to one person using an older pinion. So it was recommended to use steel as it lasts longer. But aluminum will work fine. I started with a new one and both pinion and spur still look new.

I believe Ty Tessman said he recommends steel. But he also said to use a new one with each new spur.

New seems to be key. If your pinion is worn, I bet steel or aluminum, there will be a problem.
That makes sense. In my opinion, for this specific kit, the best advice I've seen is watch for a high spot on the spur when you set your mesh. If you set your mesh at a random spot and don't check through a full rotation you can easily end up too tight or too loose overall, causing excessive wear.

-Chris

EDIT: A second part of that should be to always use thread lock on your motor mount screws when the mount is metal.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #6700
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to luist99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisstyre View Post
Mine was really loud until I found out that the shim inside the diff were in the wrong side causing a tight mesh. I also bought more to separated even more.
luist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #6701
Tech Apprentice

my car was really loud so i went re shimmed the diffs and put some mobil one red grease on them now the car is whisper quiet.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #6702
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpainter View Post
my car was really loud so i went re shimmed the diffs and put some mobil one red grease on them now the car is whisper quiet.
Can you provide more information on how to shim to reduce noise please?

Thanks
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #6703
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to luist99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastforward View Post
Can you provide more information on how to shim to reduce noise please?

Thanks
If you look at the instruction for the front and rear diff in the book shows to put the shim on the side of the screws. You just switch them to the other side on the bearing and if possible add more.
luist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #6704
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luist99 View Post
If you look at the instruction for the front and rear diff in the book shows to put the shim on the side of the screws. You just switch them to the other side on the bearing and if possible add more.
Thanks. Now I have a project for the Christmas break.
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #6705
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by luist99 View Post
Are you shimming the gears closer or farther apart?