R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes

Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #5731
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Haha. The d413 did win 2 National champs...
Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #5732
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark413 View Post
What do you guys (and gals) think looks better with my paint scheme, white or black wheels?

All opinion but I think the black looks 100 times better.
RC Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #5733
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick25 View Post
thats different. losi slop is fast slop.
HB slop = Racing Tolerance
T. Deguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #5734
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

lol. i was talking about all the losi guys staying the scte slop makes it faster.

i love my 413 too. be glad when i get it dialed.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #5735
Tech Addict

Quote:
What do you guys (and gals) think looks better with my paint scheme, white or black wheels?

BLACK. but then again I have oddball tastes. I prefer spoked wheels too.
T. Deguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #5736
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:

Black looks better but i cant drive with black wheels, cant see the front tires turning. Sounds weird but true. I bet yellow would look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
I guess no one here has driven a losi scte.......they are the most sloppy cars ever and thats what made them so good. They are very forgiving and easy to drive fast.

Good point!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #5737
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Slop or no slop is sometimes a perference to the individual racers. So options to have either better allow individuals to set up the car the way they want. But manufactures cant alway justify having both this is where aftermarket companies come in to give individuals options that the manufacture couldnt justify at the time of testing and design.
Beaker151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #5738
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Why would you have a tap made? you simply CNC ID thread. (but not so simple)
Molds are VERY expensive for anything plastic.And can only be done in 3d for a cap.
Cutting .001" per pass will take forever and not needed even on a manual lathe
One thing you are forgetting is quantities, no shop in their right mind is going to manually make any RC parts and the only way to get pricing anywhere near reasonable for the consumer is to make quantities in the 1000's. (remember you have distributor and dealer pricing which is much cheaper)

How long do you think it would take you to manually make one cap? And then ask your self if you can charge that amount for it. Manual shops are 60-80 per hour and CNC rates range from 80-120. I can promise you you cannot make a single shock cap in less than an hour. Just sayin that it is not an easy task to make shock caps
taps, because cnc(or manual lathe) threading takes too long...you want a setup with 4-10 taps that do 4-10 caps in one motion....industrial setup that is made just for the purpose of of that one thing...taps could be changed out to do other threads

the tap that threads them could have a tip that cut the oring grove, and dome shape, to ensure a perfect fit inside.

milling the caps from a block of aluminum is slow, and requires too much time, even in a highend cnc machine, make a cast, and replicate it so everytime you do a pour of aluminum, you make 10 caps, they dont have to be super precise something like +- 0.002" would be fine

i have seen in real life a machine that did almost as i described, this was for a closed end nut, with a hole cut in the top much like the bleed screw on our shock caps, this machine was loaded manually, and then did 20 nuts at a time...there was 20 holders for the nuts, 20 taps...after they where threaded the nut fell onto a vibrating table, where the nuts with the dome down got caught and dropped into slot where they got the vent hole drilled and threaded by one tap with a drill kinda end....after that 4 hours in a tumbler with abarasive stuff...out came a shiny, a shiny domed nut with venthole

i agree getting a machine shop to do a run of caps would be way to costly....but hey......someone should ask integy, they can do such a thing, on a big scale
Cygnus X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #5739
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus X View Post
taps, because cnc(or manual lathe) threading takes too long...you want a setup with 4-10 taps that do 4-10 caps in one motion....industrial setup that is made just for the purpose of of that one thing...taps could be changed out to do other threads

It takes 2 passes one for depth and one for cleanup and would only take about 5 seconds at 60IPM and you can control your depth as the tool wears, with a tap you have to throw away a very expensive tap every 100 parts because it will be out of tolerance and dont forget that you still have to get the bore the right size before you tap with a boring bar so your not saving anytime with a tap

the tap that threads them could have a tip that cut the oring grove, and dome shape, to ensure a perfect fit inside.

That will never work and that tap would cost about 300+ to have custom made, you cant bore a groove it has to be cut on one side especially a groove that needs to seal an oring

milling the caps from a block of aluminum is slow, and requires too much time, even in a highend cnc machine, make a cast, and replicate it so everytime you do a pour of aluminum, you make 10 caps, they dont have to be super precise something like +- 0.002" would be fine

A 5 axis machine ( i have one) will make a cap in about 45 seconds 1st op and 20 seconds 2nd op, and there is no way a cast will hold a .002 tolerance

That fine but then you have to find a way to hold that piece while you machine all surfaces, trust me I have been a machinist for over 30 years and thats not how it is done at least not out of aluminum anyway

i have seen in real life a machine that did almost as i described, this was for a closed end nut, with a hole cut in the top much like the bleed screw on our shock caps, this machine was loaded manually, and then did 20 nuts at a time...there was 20 holders for the nuts, 20 taps...after they where threaded the nut fell onto a vibrating table, where the nuts with the dome down got caught and dropped into slot where they got the vent hole drilled and threaded by one tap with a drill kinda end....after that 4 hours in a tumbler with abarasive stuff...out came a shiny, a shiny domed nut with venthole

i agree getting a machine shop to do a run of caps would be way to costly....but hey......someone should ask integy, they can do such a thing, on a big scale
True Integy and Exotek can easily do it but MikeR already responded for his reasons not too which are the truth!

We are way off topic so Pm me if you want to discuss further
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #5740
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
HB slop = Racing Tolerance
Any update on your Shock caps?

Thanks to:
Tekin - www.teamtekin.com
Thunder Designs - www.thunderdesigns.net
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #5741
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I really like the spring retainers with the built in mud guards. But Some have reported they pop off, so I decided to go to a method I used when I had issues with spring retainers coming off. I drilled a small hole in the retainer and use a tie wrap to secure it to the spring. Hopefully this will stabilize the retainer enough to keep it from dislodging from the shock.

I drilled a small hole in the spring retainer.

Then I threaded a small tie wrap thru the hole.

And then secured it around the spring. I used a red tie wrap so you could see it better.

Here I am using a black tie wrap and you can barely see it.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #5742
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Has anybody had issues with the shocks binding up on these? I just built my shocks with the Traxxas X-rings and one of my front shocks won't fully rebound under spring pressure. I'm using AE springs, I may need to check and see if they are rubbing on the mud-guards on the shocks.
RC Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #5743
Tech Regular

Does anyone use the JC silence D413 body? if so could you post a Pic from above mounted on the D413?

Thanks
dMITIj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #5744
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasiisaM View Post
Any update on your Shock caps?
+1
ORION CARBON PRO 4500 100C 7.4V SHORTY PACK x3.
Sanwa MT4S Radio/RX-481 receiver & Xpert RC PI-3402 Brushless Servo.
dMITIj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #5745
Tech Apprentice

In Europe it's nearly impossible to get the stock shock caps, so i decided to get me the AE b5 aluminium caps BUT!! Damn expensive,- almost $100 with all you need to make them fit.
My big stash of parts is the only reason i dont sell this beautiful thing and buy a X-ray xb4 2015 when it's released soon.

SO does anyone know if i can make the Kyosho ZX6 shocks fit my D413 ?
ColourGhost is offline   Reply With Quote