R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #556
Tech Elite
 
RC*PHREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,490
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
if I knew the exact date I would've posted it already.
which is why i said "around". i know you don't want to paint yourself into a corner by posting a date. i get it. just trying to show enthusiasm for the upcoming release. no need to get snippy.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #557
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 514
Default

one too many beers this Saturday night. let's say 'around' late November.
__________________
Torrance Deguzman
HPI/HB Mechanical Engineer
powered by LRP
T. Deguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #558
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hawkes Bay. New Zealand
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason248 View Post
Yup center diff is much nicer than a slipper set up. This will be the reason I get this buggy. I hate slippers and ball diffs lol
This is just the reason I built a 1/10 buggy with three oil diffs, thread is on here someplace, diden't get much interest so stopped updating it, but the buggy is super steady and very easy to drive fast, made mine with a nice long wheelbase for our outdoor loose track and it rocks!!

Looking forward to this buggy coming out, may just pick one up.
__________________
Losi SCTE #8NZ-2014 Tekin-savox-Tekno
S Workz 350BK1 electric converted Tekin-savox
ST RR Truggy #8NZ-2014 electric converted Tekin-savox
SC10 Tekin-savox
Baja 5B dirt mod-2015 Summer Slam Champion.
RossNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #559
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Torrance. Will AMAIN get these to sell or should I be watching a different place for maybe a pre-order?
__________________
TRF 418 - Team Powers 17.5, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Xpert servo
Xray T4 2016 - Trinity D4, HobbyWing Stock Spec, Ko Propo servo and radio
KustomRCGraphics.com (Best looking novice on the track)
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #560
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,758
Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)
Default

same question on tower hobbies. leaning towards this vehicle as it has three oil filled diffs and durability from what I hear.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #561
Tech Elite
 
rcboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,715
Default

Mr. Deguzman, can you explain the premise behind using the center diff? Was this just for maintinence? Or is performance the driving factor?
__________________
-Carter Flotron-
Thanks to the awesome people of my 2015 Sponsors for your support!
|Tekno R/C|Pro-line Racing|HWNA/FalconSEKIDO|
rcboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #562
Tech Addict
 
Speed Freak RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Grayling, MI
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

My guess is for the same reason that every 1/8th scale buggy uses a center diff...
Speed Freak RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #563
Tech Elite
 
rcboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
My guess is for the same reason that every 1/8th scale buggy uses a center diff...
There are many reasons for that: 1) 'everyone else does it so it must be the best option' 2) slipper would catch on fire in one lap in a car that big 3) shares parts.

The theory behind a center diff in a tenth scale actually makes more sense than having one in an 1/8th scale if we were only talking about traction levels (not wear and tear), as it would allow the front and rear of the car to 'adapt' to the traction available and be as efficient as possible with the grip the small tires have.
__________________
-Carter Flotron-
Thanks to the awesome people of my 2015 Sponsors for your support!
|Tekno R/C|Pro-line Racing|HWNA/FalconSEKIDO|
rcboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #564
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Torrance. Will AMAIN get these to sell or should I be watching a different place for maybe a pre-order?
yes, Amain should have them. as well as Tower, and everyone else who stocks HB/HPI products.
__________________
Torrance Deguzman
HPI/HB Mechanical Engineer
powered by LRP
T. Deguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #565
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,932
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

ooooh, tower has the best codes for kits. nice.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #566
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,758
Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)
Default

+1 on tower. Hopefully they don't try to make it up by pricing it higher than other places.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #567
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboy1 View Post
Mr. Deguzman, can you explain the premise behind using the center diff? Was this just for maintinence? Or is performance the driving factor?
Performance. We didn't really spend too much time thinking about the pros and cons of diff vs slipper. We just tried it. From 1/8 4WD buggy experience we know how much influence the center diff has on the car's handling so why not have one on a 1/10 4WD buggy? The center diff was in fact a suggestion that came from the Tessmanns. The first time I met them after I started working for HPI/HB they had already brought with them a D4 modified to fit a touring car gear diff as a center diff. We tested it back to back with a slipper at WCRC and it immediately showed potential. My first thought was that it must have been forbidden in the rules because it was so obvious yet nobody else has one. I checked all the rule books and sure enough none of them said anything about a center diff so we proceeded with it.
__________________
Torrance Deguzman
HPI/HB Mechanical Engineer
powered by LRP
T. Deguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #568
Tech Elite
 
rcboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
Performance. We didn't really spend too much time thinking about the pros and cons of diff vs slipper. We just tried it. From 1/8 4WD buggy experience we know how much influence the center diff has on the car's handling so why not have one on a 1/10 4WD buggy? The center diff was in fact a suggestion that came from the Tessmanns. The first time I met them after I started working for HPI/HB they had already brought with them a D4 modified to fit a touring car gear diff as a center diff. We tested it back to back with a slipper at WCRC and it immediately showed potential. My first thought was that it must have been forbidden in the rules because it was so obvious yet nobody else has one. I checked all the rule books and sure enough none of them said anything about a center diff so we proceeded with it.
I actually figured the Tessmans wouldve already had this planned out I agree on the simple thought of bringing over what works in the 1/8th scales to 1/10th scales, plus it would make it easier for more 1/8th scale guys to get into 1/10th scale running (which will grow the class in the long run).

When you say potential, do you mean you guys as a group could tell it was immediately better?
__________________
-Carter Flotron-
Thanks to the awesome people of my 2015 Sponsors for your support!
|Tekno R/C|Pro-line Racing|HWNA/FalconSEKIDO|
rcboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #569
Tech Addict
 
TomErickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
Performance. We didn't really spend too much time thinking about the pros and cons of diff vs slipper. We just tried it. From 1/8 4WD buggy experience we know how much influence the center diff has on the car's handling so why not have one on a 1/10 4WD buggy? The center diff was in fact a suggestion that came from the Tessmanns. The first time I met them after I started working for HPI/HB they had already brought with them a D4 modified to fit a touring car gear diff as a center diff. We tested it back to back with a slipper at WCRC and it immediately showed potential. My first thought was that it must have been forbidden in the rules because it was so obvious yet nobody else has one. I checked all the rule books and sure enough none of them said anything about a center diff so we proceeded with it.
Last year I tried a center diff on a road car with a high viscosity oil and it was pretty good. So I converted my Jammin SCRT10 to 4wd Buggy and love the center diff so this is a must for me now. Slippers just waste energy IMHO.
__________________
---Thanks to my Sponsors: Novak R/C, and Nankin Hobbies ----
TomErickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #570
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,758
Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)
Default

That is one of the features that is drawing me towards the vehicle.

Having experienced in 4x4 SCT the benefits of a center diff versus just a slipper setup, its something that I really want in a wheeler.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:35 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net