Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #5656
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

haha, ok.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #5657
Tech Regular

YZRacer what pistons an oil are you running?
slasn_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #5658
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasn_48 View Post
YZRacer what pistons an oil are you running?
Front: VRP 2x1.6 Pistons
35 Oil

Rear: VRP 2x1.7 Pistons
30 Oil
Tekin, Inc. | XRAY | RC America | Hudy | Protek RC | Exotek Racing | Factory-RC Products | Proline Racing | Avid RC | Vision Racing Products | Paint By Smiley | SOR Graphics | Carolina Custom Anodizing
Jeremy Potter
Tekin C.S. Manager
yzracer758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #5659
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Started the build on Monday, got it finished today. Awesome build, so many great design features. Ready to hit the track this weekend.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #5660
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark413 View Post
Started the build on Monday, got it finished today. Awesome build, so many great design features. Ready to hit the track this weekend.

I see you put the front guards on. They seem to have issues getting dislodged on the front. Probably because of the surface area. If they start getting dislodged, just put the non guard spring cups on the front.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #5661
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I see you put the front guards on. They seem to have issues getting dislodged on the front. Probably because of the surface area. If they start getting dislodged, just put the non guard spring cups on the front.
Thanks for the tip. I just think they look so cool, if I have issues with them getting dislodged I'll take them off or drill a small hole and use a tiny tie wrap to secure it to the spring and see if that works. Another thing I may try is slipping a small tight fitting o-ring over the shaft to help hold the cup on, the o-ring will also serve as a limiter to prevent too much plunge that I read a few pages back (dog bone hitting arm and/or output drive cup).
Old 10-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #5662
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzracer758 View Post
Front: VRP 2x1.6 Pistons
35 Oil

Rear: VRP 2x1.7 Pistons
30 Oil
Hey Jeremy..

What does the rest of your set-up look like..

Thanks to:
Tekin - www.teamtekin.com
Thunder Designs - www.thunderdesigns.net
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #5663
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ran the dual stage RC Shox pistons...the dual stage valving works, but I would like to know if the pistons are useable out of the package. I put them on but they had way too much compression resistance! dropped down to 15 weight oil to make them kinda useable. I eventually rotated the rebound part of the piston 180 degrees, essentially negating the valving and running 40 weight oil. Just made them feel like normal pistons. My question is; Do I need to size the holes in the pistons to make them work properly? If I just took them out of the bag, put them on and ran them with the proper oil for my track the compressed super super slow and rebounded too quickly. Please advise...
buyselltradeevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #5664
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyselltradeevy View Post
Ran the dual stage RC Shox pistons...the dual stage valving works, but I would like to know if the pistons are useable out of the package. I put them on but they had way too much compression resistance! dropped down to 15 weight oil to make them kinda useable. I eventually rotated the rebound part of the piston 180 degrees, essentially negating the valving and running 40 weight oil. Just made them feel like normal pistons. My question is; Do I need to size the holes in the pistons to make them work properly? If I just took them out of the bag, put them on and ran them with the proper oil for my track the compressed super super slow and rebounded too quickly. Please advise...
You have them on twisted, you should be able to look all the way through and see daylight through 3 holes, since they are three hole they can go on backwards! Just take them off and place the top piston on 180* from where you have it. You will not need to drill out anything but if you want faster rebound you can drill out the lower piston holes from 1.5 to 1.6 to increase rebound. on high bite you should not need to adjust anything but on low bite increasing the rebound will help alot with traction.

450r/550f is about as high as you need to go, If you do not have huge 1/8 scale flat jumps 350/450 felt really good.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #5665
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
You have them on twisted, you should be able to look all the way through and see daylight through 3 holes, since they are three hole they can go on backwards! Just take them off and place the top piston on 180* from where you have it. You will not need to drill out anything but if you want faster rebound you can drill out the lower piston holes from 1.5 to 1.6 to increase rebound. on high bite you should not need to adjust anything but on low bite increasing the rebound will help alot with traction.

450r/550f is about as high as you need to go, If you do not have huge 1/8 scale flat jumps 350/450 felt really good.
WOW...fast response! Thanks! I tried them both ways....you can definitely tell that the valving works. I tried them both ways...being able to see through the holes and not being able to see through them. I might have them upside down? The valve with 6 holes is on top?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #5666
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
WOW...fast response! Thanks! I tried them both ways....you can definitely tell that the valving works. I tried them both ways...being able to see through the holes and not being able to see through them. I might have them upside down? The valve with 6 holes is on top?
Yes, that is correct. the pistons work better with lighter oils, pack is obtained from the pistons "clapping" together more than the actual holes sizes and you cannot duplicate that action on a bench by "dropping" it.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #5667
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I dropped 8 weight in my 2wd car with the 2 stage pistons. dont be afraid to go down in oils
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #5668
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I dropped 8 weight in my 2wd car with the 2 stage pistons. dont be afraid to go down in oils

I have it figured out now( with help )...I put the rebound stage in wrong. After I corrected this VIOLA!! Car felt much more planted in ripple areas and more technical parts of track. Now I can't wait to get back to the track and fine tune the oil weights. AND thank you RC SHOX for answering all of my questions. Its nice to have a company actually talk to you and explain their products clearly. Time to order up that ackerman plate and top deck!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #5669
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Are these pistons available for the 22-4 also? I have both cars and while I have the D413 where I like it I would like to try these on the 22-4. I know, I know... wrong thread for the 22-4, but while on this topic I thought I'd ask!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #5670
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
Are these pistons available for the 22-4 also? I have both cars and while I have the D413 where I like it I would like to try these on the 22-4. I know, I know... wrong thread for the 22-4, but while on this topic I thought I'd ask!
Yes they are. www.rcshox.com. click on off road then losi
Beaker151 is offline   Reply With Quote