R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree35Likes

Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #5476
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thinking of getting this car but I don't see much in the way of setups. I race high bite indoor (slicks) fairly tight and windy track. For any experienced owners would the kit setup get me close? Any input on what would get me at least headed in the right direction? Thanks for any help.
GettinLapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #5477
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinLapped View Post
Thinking of getting this car but I don't see much in the way of setups. I race high bite indoor (slicks) fairly tight and windy track. For any experienced owners would the kit setup get me close? Any input on what would get me at least headed in the right direction? Thanks for any help.
If you keep looking in this thread you should find some good setups. I mostly stick to Ty's setups except run 5k in the rear. The car drives well.

Here is a link.

http://www.tytessman.com/setups/d413-setups.php

I go between the shootout or Reedy Race setup. Both run on high bite tracks.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #5478
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
MantisWorx, which ackerman configuration did you design the steer bar from?
You can adjust bump steer from the bottom of the bearings via shims and ackerman setting is the furthest back so you can add shims under the ball stud to get it out to where you feel comfortable. So to answer your question, the bar in std for is the lowest and furthest back so you can always add for settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham11 View Post
are these ackermans designed to take the slop out? I just finished building my d413 and holy slop! Pretty disappointed with how soft the plastics are and the over all slop of the vehicle, over all the kit seems pretty great but the plastics, slop, and instructions are the weaknesses so far. Now all of that will be null and void if it performs well but thats just my initial feedback.
There is ZERO slop in this bar due to the ballbearings and flathead screws on top of them, this centers the bearings and allows you to tighten with out binding.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #5479
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
You can adjust bump steer from the bottom of the bearings via shims and ackerman setting is the furthest back so you can add shims under the ball stud to get it out to where you feel comfortable. So to answer your question, the bar in std for is the lowest and furthest back so you can always add for settings.

There is ZERO slop in this bar due to the ballbearings and flathead screws on top of them, this centers the bearings and allows you to tighten with out binding.
Cool thank you.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #5480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (98%+)

I just ordered one of these today... what spare parts and or upgrade parts are recommended. .. pm me or post here...greatly appreciated
Scott chilson... ..smac track. ...dirtburners..hrp checkered flag hobbies ...Alpha engines..nitro pro fuel. ...SAVOX SERVOS HOBBYWING ELECTRONICS. ...wanna know why i dont have a perfect trader rating anymore...feel free to ask because i will definitely tell u!!!
rcmania74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #5481
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Marcus,
Did you try the different setup with the diffs last Friday?
Radio: Airtronics M12
cokemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #5482
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I need to pick up the smaller hex drivers for building this kit and I'm thinking about replacing my 20 year old 4 piece Losi set. The Losi drivers I have are still in pretty good shape but the handles are kinda small and they have sharp edges for the grooves running up and down the handles.

Any recommendations for a quality set?
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #5483
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

MIP drivers
Old 10-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #5484
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
the guys here in ohio are doing really well with these pistons, you guys should give them a try. You won't be dissapointed, the 2 guys who own the company have been racing for like 30 years each and this is the first product they had to make sure everyone could have.

http://www.visionracingproducts.com/...es-D413_c5.htm
Not normally a fan of "gimmicky" products, but having an extensive motocross background and a lot of experience valving dirt bike suspension, these make perfect sense. The RC Shox variable ones perform the same function just using a different method, but either way the logic behind this is sound and is a simplified version of how motorcycle suspension is valved.
I've ridden for 20+ years and will spend $1000 on suspension mods before I spend $1 on a power mod.

I just ordered some up and am curious to see how they work, my maiden run with my D413 was a suspension disaster.
RC Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #5485
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So built my kit saddle pack but looks like most do shorty? I'll be running high traction clay on slicks?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #5486
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokemaster View Post
Marcus,
Did you try the different setup with the diffs last Friday?
Yes and it was much better. went 10/60/5, went up to 450/550 on shock oils moved the battery all the way back and went with the rear flex deck with kit front. rear end is now settled and i can backside accelerate without the rear stepping out! It feels really good now, much more comfortable to drive. Fast lap was the same but i was able to do that time more often. The ackerman bar really makes a huge difference, seems more responsive, could be the slop or could be the settings , not sure really! The car is a loaner and the electronics suck, its slow and has no grunt. Next time out i will put more power in it, play with roll centers and see how quick i can get it! Great car though you can literally drive the crap out of it
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #5487
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Juice View Post
Not normally a fan of "gimmicky" products, but having an extensive motocross background and a lot of experience valving dirt bike suspension, these make perfect sense. The RC Shox variable ones perform the same function just using a different method, but either way the logic behind this is sound and is a simplified version of how motorcycle suspension is valved.
I've ridden for 20+ years and will spend $1000 on suspension mods before I spend $1 on a power mod.

I just ordered some up and am curious to see how they work, my maiden run with my D413 was a suspension disaster.
you mxr's are a rare breed! I am fortunate to have one of our bigger tracks located in a MX park (3palms) and there are a handfull of pros that now race RC and you guys push to get the suspension right for sure! My latest "NewGen" were developed with mega testing from one of these pros and he drives Rc like he rides bikes! it neat to watch and we tried countless different combinations til we got what I released! I think the issue with the stock suspension is the thin pistons, they make it hard to get the pack you need on a 4wd buggy.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #5488
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

what difference does piston thickness have on the way they work? oil has a longer path to travel through the piston? won't that slow rebound if that's the case?
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #5489
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmania74 View Post
I just ordered one of these today... what spare parts and or upgrade parts are recommended. .. pm me or post here...greatly appreciated
Bump
Scott chilson... ..smac track. ...dirtburners..hrp checkered flag hobbies ...Alpha engines..nitro pro fuel. ...SAVOX SERVOS HOBBYWING ELECTRONICS. ...wanna know why i dont have a perfect trader rating anymore...feel free to ask because i will definitely tell u!!!
rcmania74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #5490
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
what difference does piston thickness have on the way they work? oil has a longer path to travel through the piston? won't that slow rebound if that's the case?
Pistons deflect and alter oil flow. In motorcycle suspension you actually tune by altering stacks of shims of altering thickness/diameter to control oil flow as they deflect in the oil flow during movement. Shock pistons deflecting in rc shocks can alter their performance and make them inconsistent.
RC Juice is offline   Reply With Quote