R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #5401
Tech Master
 
Shark413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,554
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugelle View Post
+1....mine is on the way
I pulled the trigger and ordered one as well. I was able to use the Super Saver discount of $60, free shipping and no tax, I couldn't resist.
__________________
AE B5M - Tekno SCT410 - Kyosho SC6, SCR & RB6 - HB D413
SCVRC - Santa Clarita Valley RC & HotRod Hobbies
Shark413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #5402
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 87
Default

Hi guys. A team X-ray driver from my track (indoor carpet), is using 850 front and 650 rear- shock oil together with 1.7mm 3 hole pistons. He's is going REALLY fast. If i wanna try something "heavy" on my D413, -does 770 front and 600 rear with the stock 1.4mm 4 hole pistons sound totally crazy ?
ColourGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #5403
Tech Master
 
offroad dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,843
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark413 View Post
I pulled the trigger and ordered one as well. I was able to use the Super Saver discount of $60, free shipping and no tax, I couldn't resist.
That makes 2 of us then!
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #5404
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 554
Default

Hi Guys, what kind of front and rear droop are you running. Just built mine and it has a lot of droop. At present I'm on the middle marking on shock shaft. Should I add limiters aswell under the piston's ??
__________________
Kev Lewis,
I'd like to thank my personal Sponsors :-AKA Tyres Australia, Ryper Hobbies and Just Hobbies
The Gear :- Associated RC8 B3 powered by OS Engines
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #5405
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

The front has lots of droop compared to the rear. It depends on how you set it up either per the box stock settings or if your using someones setup from Petitrc.com. I'm using TYs Reedy setup and in his he measured with calipers the length or position of eyelet. I've seen other setups that say use first line or second line.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #5406
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

For those that are recently picking them up, make sure to take look at first page, lots of great info and tips for the car.

This is my first 4w Buggy and the kit was fun to build and is a blast to drive. I've had mine now for about 4wks and the 413 is a beast.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #5407
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,904
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourGhost View Post
Hi guys. A team X-ray driver from my track (indoor carpet), is using 850 front and 650 rear- shock oil together with 1.7mm 3 hole pistons. He's is going REALLY fast. If i wanna try something "heavy" on my D413, -does 770 front and 600 rear with the stock 1.4mm 4 hole pistons sound totally crazy ?
I think 4 hole will be sluggish but you never know! try it and see I know that i run 4x1.6 on my eighth scale with around 500 for a reference point.
and on my 413 i have 3x1.4 with 550/450
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #5408
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I think 4 hole will be sluggish but you never know! try it and see I know that i run 4x1.6 on my eighth scale with around 500 for a reference point.
and on my 413 i have 3x1.4 with 550/450
Ok maybe iŽll try the tlr22 pistons, or maybe try to drill my own. Would like to try 3x1.7mm, on a thick oil. I was told by a pro racer that my 413 was way to soft with 550/500 - 4x1.3 and Kyosho orange springs.
ColourGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #5409
Tech Master
 
slakr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,675
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I think 4 hole will be sluggish but you never know! try it and see I know that i run 4x1.6 on my eighth scale with around 500 for a reference point.
and on my 413 i have 3x1.4 with 550/450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourGhost View Post
Ok maybe iŽll try the tlr22 pistons, or maybe try to drill my own. Would like to try 3x1.7mm, on a thick oil. I was told by a pro racer that my 413 was way to soft with 550/500 - 4x1.3 and Kyosho orange springs.

I'm waiting for Marcus to say his 2x1.6 & 2x1.7 pistons for the D413 are available


Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I can have them available in a day or so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
OK thanx, will work on them today!
__________________
TLR 22 4.0, 22-4 2.0, 8IGHT & 8IGHT-E 4.0~XRAY XB2C~AE TC7.1
Tim aka "slakr" ROAR No. 3-119960

Last edited by slakr; 10-23-2014 at 07:25 AM.
slakr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #5410
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourGhost View Post
Ok maybe iŽll try the tlr22 pistons, or maybe try to drill my own. Would like to try 3x1.7mm, on a thick oil. I was told by a pro racer that my 413 was way to soft with 550/500 - 4x1.3 and Kyosho orange springs.
I think a couple pages back someone had tried various pistons and had issues with some, you'll have to watch the piston I.D. for the shaft, some of them are a tad bigger.

When I first setup my car I ran with the 4x1.3 pistons, stock springs and 37.5 and 35 oils and actually felt really good and even couple other guys tried and liked. Now each driver has their own style or skills, so I would say tune the car to the way you drive or how you drive. As you try different things report back or keep others posted.

I will say this though.... a lot of people are using the 2x1.6 with great success, so it must be working. When I changed mine over I was hesitant, but the very next week was able to push the car a little harder and faster and felt more planted.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #5411
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNash55 View Post
avid ae and kyosho do not work... center hole is to large!! tried that during the initial build.
Not sure if the TLR pistons would have same issue
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #5412
Tech Master
 
trick25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,171
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

using 3x1.3 here.
__________________
4wd bug-D413, 2wd ST-DEST210R, Blinky bug-22 2.0
Etrug-Tekno ET48.3 4wd SC-SCT410
trick25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #5413
Tech Elite
 
Graham11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,019
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

lots of discussion about pistons on this thread. I just built my kit using the kit setup to start but should I have not? I will be running on fairly high traction clay and carpet mostly, I thought the kit setup was for high traction but please correct me if I am wrong because I will change it. Usually the kit setup is a good starting point but it seems like this stock setup is pretty specific.
__________________
Hot Bodies Racing - Team Pro-Line - Maxy's Fuel - LRP - Trinity
Hobby Hut - Trains N Lanes - Mushroom Bowl - LCRC
Graham11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #5414
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I used TYs Reedy setup as starting point for first race and made adjustments for the following week. For the first race I ran the stock springs, 4x1.3 pistons and 37.5 & 35 losi oils and 7-100-3 based on our track surface. I did follow TYs setup for the Front kickup and Rear anitsquat. I was told by a couple local racers to follow that and it made the car very easy to drive and learn since this was my first 4w ever.

Out of 8 fast local racers that day I finished 4th and just missed 3rd for my first time running 4w buggy. Once I had my baseline race under my belt to judge numbers off, the following week I changed out the pistons to 2x1.6 and 37.5 and 32.5 oils and was able to get faster with car and push it more. I still run a Tekno Ebuggy and this car reminds me of driving Ebuggy, LOL

Tires also play a BIG part too, if you don't have the right tires you can chase setups all day. For our track and others in the area Proline Ions are the ticket as well as Dirt Webs and Elektrons.

And remember not all setups always work for the track or how you drive, but it's nice to have that baseline starting point to go from. The car reacts to minor changes as well, so make a couple small changes to see if that helped or didn't help.

Last edited by snwchris; 10-23-2014 at 07:17 AM.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #5415
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,904
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
I'm waiting for Marcus to say his 2x1.6 & 2x1.7 pistons for the D413 are available

LOL you are on it!! i have the CAD work done already, i spent most of the day yesterday working on the ballbearing ackerman bar so i can test tomorrow, with any luck i should have time this evening to machine a few sets of flat pistons. I drew up 2x1.6, 2x1.7 and 3x1.3
Announcement will be made on facebook, so check periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham11 View Post
lots of discussion about pistons on this thread. I just built my kit using the kit setup to start but should I have not? I will be running on fairly high traction clay and carpet mostly, I thought the kit setup was for high traction but please correct me if I am wrong because I will change it. Usually the kit setup is a good starting point but it seems like this stock setup is pretty specific.
You are always going to search for different "feels" with your car. Pistons are a very important aspect of how your buggy will perform, there is no perfect piston oil setup, weather changes, different brands of oil, track conditions etc etc. Some people just go with one and stick with it while others like me change all the time.Kit setups like any other posted setup will just get you close. Drive your car like it is until you get consistent with it and then make one change at a time to make it better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
I used TYs Reedy setup as starting point for first race and made adjustments for the following week. For the first race I ran the stock springs, 4x1.3 pistons and 37.5 & 35 losi oils and 7-100-3 based on our track surface. I did follow TYs setup for the Front kickup and Rear anitsquat. I was told by a couple local racers to follow that and it made the car very easy to drive and learn since this was my first 4w ever.

Out of 8 fast local racers that day I finished 4th and just missed 3rd for my first time running 4w buggy. Once I had my baseline race under my belt to judge numbers off, the following week I changed out the pistons to 2x1.6 and 37.5 and 32.5 oils and was able to get faster with car and push it more. I still run a Tekno Ebuggy and this car reminds me of driving Ebuggy, LOL

Tires also play a BIG part too, if you don't have the right tires you can chase setups all day. For our track and others in the area Proline Ions are the ticket as well as Dirt Webs and Elektrons.

And remember not all setups always work for the track or how you drive, but it's nice to have that baseline starting point to go from. The car reacts to minor changes as well, so make a couple small changes to see if that helped or didn't help.
Very well put
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:59 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net