R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #4651
Tech Elite
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 3,016
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
Slightly off-topic:

What are you guys doing to charge multiple 2S batteries with the tubes in series or in parallel. I don't see many options for a ready-made cable. Do I need to just solder up my own to be able to do that?
You'd more than likely have to make your own. And it would be a parallel connector. Parallel makes it so that if you have two 5000mah 2s batteries, your charger would see it as one 10000mah 2s battery.
__________________
:::Tekno EB410 (Under construction)::: Tekno EB48SL ::: HPI Blitz ::: Kyosho RB5 SP2 WC :::Team Durango DEX210 v2 ::: Team Durango ExoDex210 :::Tamiya TB03r/TRF418-ish :::
EbbTide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #4652
Tech Fanatic
 
Matt :-)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Tn
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Well, not having parts in your local hobby shop is inclusive in the term "parts support". As well as the interval between them running out of stock, and then finally replenishing stock. Both are piss-poor in my opinion. I feel the same way about my Durango. But I still have it because it is great on the track. So for me Hot Bodies is just like Durango; Sweet kits, sub-par parts/kit production.
2 things that are a huge difference between Hot Bodies and Team DUH-rango.

1 - Quality of DUH-rango is complete junk. Absolutely everything has to be upgraded. Hot Bodies has raised the standard in quality and design.

2- DUH-rango's vehicles have been out for a very long time,and they still don't produce stock for their junk. Hot Bodies has been doing a damn good job of filling back orders that were placed 9 months before the car was even released with quality, not quantity, and they already have more parts in stock than DUH-rango.

If your local hobby shop isn't supporting Hot Bodies, that's their mistake. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a Traxxas. At least it would be an upgrade in quality over DUH-rango.
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #4653
Tech Addict
 
MasiisaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Well, not having parts in your local hobby shop is inclusive in the term "parts support". As well as the interval between them running out of stock, and then finally replenishing stock. Both are piss-poor in my opinion. I feel the same way about my Durango. But I still have it because it is great on the track. So for me Hot Bodies is just like Durango; Sweet kits, sub-par parts/kit production.
I got yea...

I would say though..Then i would push the "local hobby shop" to carry the parts...thats not an HB/Durango issue... thats the local shop not supporting the kit... again not an HB/Durango issue but the shop it's self..so to pass that onto HB/Durango is a tad short sided IMO...From what i see at this time..parts are wide open for the D413...
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #4654
Tech Elite
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 3,016
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
2 things that are a huge difference between Hot Bodies and Team DUH-rango.

1 - Quality of DUH-rango is complete junk. Absolutely everything has to be upgraded. Hot Bodies has raised the standard in quality and design.

2- DUH-rango's vehicles have been out for a very long time,and they still don't produce stock for their junk. Hot Bodies has been doing a damn good job of filling back orders that were placed 9 months before the car was even released with quality, not quantity, and they already have more parts in stock than DUH-rango.

If your local hobby shop isn't supporting Hot Bodies, that's their mistake. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a Traxxas. At least it would be an upgrade in quality over DUH-rango.
Well hot-dawg. I dun better get down to ma hobby shop and order me a slash!
__________________
:::Tekno EB410 (Under construction)::: Tekno EB48SL ::: HPI Blitz ::: Kyosho RB5 SP2 WC :::Team Durango DEX210 v2 ::: Team Durango ExoDex210 :::Tamiya TB03r/TRF418-ish :::
EbbTide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #4655
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
You'd more than likely have to make your own. And it would be a parallel connector. Parallel makes it so that if you have two 5000mah 2s batteries, your charger would see it as one 10000mah 2s battery.
Thanks.

I 'd like to charge in series for two reasons:

1) Time. Charging a a 2S 10-amp-hour battery will take twice as long as charging a 4S 5-Ah battery. If you go to 3 2s batteries in parallel, then it takes three times as long as to charge a 6S battery, which my charger can handle. Edit: This is assuming your charger doesn't have the current capacity to charge the composite 10-AH or 15-AH battery at its maximum current; if it can, then this problem goes away.

2) Charge inequality. If the batteries aren't discharged to exactly the same degree, then when you hook them up in parallel, you're dumping a lot of charge form the higher-voltage cells to the lower-voltage ones. I get nervous when doing that to LiPos.

The downside to charging in series is that the batteries have to be of the same capacity, but if you bought the same model, that's not a problem.
skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #4656
Tech Fanatic
 
Matt :-)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Tn
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Well hot-dawg. I dun better get down to ma hobby shop and order me a slash!
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #4657
Tech Master
 
trick25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

dont bash durango too much. just like everyone they produce some great kits.

i would put the durango ST above or at least equal to any other on the market.

now the wheeler. its great when it stays on the track which seems to be less often than it should.
__________________
17.5 2wd-XB2 17 CE , 2wd mod truck-xt2
4wd SC-SCT410,13.5 4wd -D413
trick25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #4658
Tech Elite
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,988
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Wow. This is the D413 so I'll say what needs to be said and leave it at that.

First of all the Durango engineered vehicles of their own design and spent quite a bit of time doing so. Second of all they are not fragile. The 410 tends to break sometimes because it is a heavier car, but these are 1/10 cars traveling at the equivalent of 400+ Scale MPH and some peoples' expectations are a tad wee bit too ridiculous.

I've had my 410 for almost 2 years and the only issue I've encountered was breaking front arms but the culprit was identified and outside of my screw ups, it's been smooth sailing since then. I even had an Orion motor falling apart on me, placing considerable strain on the drivetrain and nothing was the worse for wear. I even smashed into an SCT that some idiot placed on the outside of the front straight instead of using the pit lane at full speed, and I absolutely destroyed his entire rear end. I couldn't even begin to describe the obliteration of his car and all that happened to my 410 was a popped ball cup.

How's that for durable?

As for parts shortage from Durango, I've only ever had to wait for steering knuckle bushings earlier this year and nothing else. I also don't see the logic behind having local parts support because it's been my experience that LHS will push and stock certain brands to their customer base, only to switch to different brands, thus leaving those customers high and dry. This happened to me with Durango and TLR and I decided I was done supporting them and now order my parts from online retailers who ALWAYS have parts in stock for all my vehicles. From Associated, to TLR, to Durango, to Kyosho and many others.

And I stock enough consumables to keep from DNF-ing due to lack of parts.

As it is, it's not like the 413 is impervious to failures because there a few dozen pages in this thread showing peoples' issue with their 413.

Bottom line is, no car is bullet proof and they all have their issues and every model has its lemons so it's ridiculous to bash on one over another. Drive well enough and every single one of them will perform superbly. Furthermore, put a 410 in the hands of Mayfield and Cavalieri and they'd still win consistently, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do even better than with their current cars. The 410 is that good, as is the 413 and XB4. And really, Associated's vehicles are the most criticized vehicles and likely just, due to their excessive slop, yet they are the winningest manufacturer of all time. Go figure.

I'm currently waiting for a different brand wheeler being released this October because it looks just as good as all 3 I listed with a few nice features, but I will not bash and speak ill of all the top vehicles because the new car ends up performing well.
__________________
ROB RIVERA
≈ PRS1 2014 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Team Powers Plutonium17.5 ≈
≈ DEX410 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Reedy Sonic 6.5T ≈
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #4659
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,993
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

what is the biggest pinion you can get in this car? Locals want to run a 13.5 4wd class at states. This way we can have fun and not jack up the pros with out crap driving, lol. I am think the biggest is a 25-26 tooth. which would be pretty low for 13.5 blinky
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #4660
Tech Regular
 
kdeleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
what is the biggest pinion you can get in this car? Locals want to run a 13.5 4wd class at states. This way we can have fun and not jack up the pros with out crap driving, lol. I am think the biggest is a 25-26 tooth. which would be pretty low for 13.5 blinky
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
currently the largest pinion that the car will accept is a 38T which will yield a final drive of 6.27. hopefully this can get you in the ballpark in the beginning. if a 4WD stock class does emerge then we'll make a smaller spur. for now however there hasn't been many tracks that run a 17.5 blinky 4WD.

(for reference the D413 comes with a 72T spur and the gearbox ratio is 43/13)
kdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #4661
Tech Fanatic
 
Matt :-)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Tn
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Wow. This is the D413 so I'll say what needs to be said and leave it at that.

First of all the Durango engineered vehicles of their own design and spent quite a bit of time doing so. Second of all they are not fragile. The 410 tends to break sometimes because it is a heavier car, but these are 1/10 cars traveling at the equivalent of 400+ Scale MPH and some peoples' expectations are a tad wee bit too ridiculous.

I've had my 410 for almost 2 years and the only issue I've encountered was breaking front arms but the culprit was identified and outside of my screw ups, it's been smooth sailing since then. I even had an Orion motor falling apart on me, placing considerable strain on the drivetrain and nothing was the worse for wear. I even smashed into an SCT that some idiot placed on the outside of the front straight instead of using the pit lane at full speed, and I absolutely destroyed his entire rear end. I couldn't even begin to describe the obliteration of his car and all that happened to my 410 was a popped ball cup.

How's that for durable?

As for parts shortage from Durango, I've only ever had to wait for steering knuckle bushings earlier this year and nothing else. I also don't see the logic behind having local parts support because it's been my experience that LHS will push and stock certain brands to their customer base, only to switch to different brands, thus leaving those customers high and dry. This happened to me with Durango and TLR and I decided I was done supporting them and now order my parts from online retailers who ALWAYS have parts in stock for all my vehicles. From Associated, to TLR, to Durango, to Kyosho and many others.

And I stock enough consumables to keep from DNF-ing due to lack of parts.

As it is, it's not like the 413 is impervious to failures because there a few dozen pages in this thread showing peoples' issue with their 413.

Bottom line is, no car is bullet proof and they all have their issues and every model has its lemons so it's ridiculous to bash on one over another. Drive well enough and every single one of them will perform superbly. Furthermore, put a 410 in the hands of Mayfield and Cavalieri and they'd still win consistently, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do even better than with their current cars. The 410 is that good, as is the 413 and XB4. And really, Associated's vehicles are the most criticized vehicles and likely just, due to their excessive slop, yet they are the winningest manufacturer of all time. Go figure.

I'm currently waiting for a different brand wheeler being released this October because it looks just as good as all 3 I listed with a few nice features, but I will not bash and speak ill of all the top vehicles because the new car ends up performing well.
Really ? Every Durango I've ever had was a complete turd. Their customer service is worse than their vehicles, almost all the racers in my area has completely walked away from them. Out of all 6 tracks that I attend, I can only recall seeing 3 Durango owners.

On a second note, since this thread has turned into a Durango support group, I'm out. Enjoy yourselves.
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #4662
Tech Elite
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 3,016
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
Thanks.

I 'd like to charge in series for two reasons:

1) Time. Charging a a 2S 10-amp-hour battery will take twice as long as charging a 4S 5-Ah battery. If you go to 3 2s batteries in parallel, then it takes three times as long as to charge a 6S battery, which my charger can handle. Edit: This is assuming your charger doesn't have the current capacity to charge the composite 10-AH or 15-AH battery at its maximum current; if it can, then this problem goes away.

2) Charge inequality. If the batteries aren't discharged to exactly the same degree, then when you hook them up in parallel, you're dumping a lot of charge form the higher-voltage cells to the lower-voltage ones. I get nervous when doing that to LiPos.

The downside to charging in series is that the batteries have to be of the same capacity, but if you bought the same model, that's not a problem.
That's definitely a good point. I hadn't even thought about the type of charger being used
__________________
:::Tekno EB410 (Under construction)::: Tekno EB48SL ::: HPI Blitz ::: Kyosho RB5 SP2 WC :::Team Durango DEX210 v2 ::: Team Durango ExoDex210 :::Tamiya TB03r/TRF418-ish :::
EbbTide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #4663
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

If the LHS is associated with a track then they should have some idea of what the common vehicles people are running.

Now at the same time it's hard to do that, cause that's a lot of overhead to carry. Then you have people that buy or change brands too quickly as well, so then the LHS is left holding the bag of so called parts.

We have a traveling hobby shop that comes to our track on race days and during the season they ask whos running what and what common parts to carry for those brands, especially if there's a group of people running similar brands.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #4664
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,993
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Here you go:
sweet. guess I will try my 13.5 at states
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #4665
Tech Master
 
trick25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
.

On a second note, since this thread has turned into a Durango support group, I'm out. Enjoy yourselves.
were you referring to me as well? I was simply pointing out that not all Durango vehicles are bad. would I own a Durango 4wd SC. nope.

I have the dex410 but I will be trying the d413 soon(starting build today). I really don't like the dex410 because of a few reasons like how I have to take the center slipper out to change batts. no room for anything. Whats funny is the cheapest Durango made(the ST and 2wd SC) are prob the best cars they make. lol
__________________
17.5 2wd-XB2 17 CE , 2wd mod truck-xt2
4wd SC-SCT410,13.5 4wd -D413
trick25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net