R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #4036
Tech Adept
 
chadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Richfield, MN
Posts: 183
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Since no one is answering the questions on how to use other brand shock pistons with this car, let me take a crack at it and have other correct.

The car has washers that go above and below the piston. So even if you use a TLR piston, for example, the larger hole will probably still not be larger than the washer.

So one would mount up the piston but not tighten down the screw completely. Then start building the shock. Once the piston is build, the you could tighten up the screw and the piston would be centered and thus work properly.

P.S. Ok, maybe I understand why no one replied. I really had to word that carefully without it making the whole explanation go in a different direction. Not perfect, but close.
You hit the nail on the head, that's how I built mine up with TLR pistons.

I placed the nut on loosely, ran the shaft up and down to center the piston then tightened down the nut a bit. Rinse and repeat until I had clean movement up and down all around shaft rotation. It hasn't moved yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
chadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #4037
Tech Fanatic
 
Matt :-)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Tn
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Finally got my diff
Parts 2 days late thank you USPS. Need gearing for an 8.5.
I'm running a 22t on a Speed Passion 7.5 zero timing all the way around. Feels pretty good so far. 155 degrees on 12 to 15 minute runs.
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #4038
Tech Master
 
boudin4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Natchitoches, LA
Posts: 1,774
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
Above and beyond is the only way the folks at Tekin roll. THE BEST customer service in the biz. PIRIOD
+1 million AND it's a HB part! NOT a TEKIN part!!
__________________
Marc Richard
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it!
Tekin, JConcepts, TEKNO RC, AVID Bearings, Schelle Racing Products, DialedRC Hobbies formerly (VP Pro USA), MAXAMPS, Kal Gard Lubricants, Tresrey USA, Panther RC, Sweep Racing USA, Team INTEGY, Hy-Traction Juice, Fioroni, SMC Batteries
boudin4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #4039
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,884
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
I'm running a 22t on a Speed Passion 7.5 zero timing all the way around. Feels pretty good so far. 155 degrees on 12 to 15 minute runs.
Thanks Matt.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #4040
Tech Fanatic
 
Matt :-)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Tn
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudin4evr View Post
+1 million AND it's a HB part! NOT a TEKIN part!!
I know ! Dude must be hookin you up with some personal stash.

Don't get me wrong. The Speed Passion in my car is performing well. If I wasn't tight on cash when I did this build, I would have had Tekin all the way. Just couldn't scrape enough together. Running Tekin in both my 8th scales and love um !

When I bought my 1st tekin set up for my 8IGHT-E 2.0, I really needed some help with understanding how to properly set it up. Jeremy (an AWESOME tech at Tekin) took a good 45 minutes with me on the phone and tutored me step by step through the entire esc linked with Hot Wire. What a huge help !!! His assistance went much farther than that because there's no telling how many fellow racers iv'e been able to pass the knowledge onto. I just can't speak well enough about what a great asset Tekin is to the R/C industry. And what a great program they have for our Military ! If I keep this up, I may be tempted to apply with them as a sales rep
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #4041
Tech Master
 
ScottyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,203
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Since no one is answering the questions on how to use other brand shock pistons with this car, let me take a crack at it and have other correct.

The car has washers that go above and below the piston. So even if you use a TLR piston, for example, the larger hole will probably still not be larger than the washer.

So one would mount up the piston but not tighten down the screw completely. Then start building the shock. Once the piston is build, the you could tighten up the screw and the piston would be centered and thus work properly.

P.S. Ok, maybe I understand why no one replied. I really had to word that carefully without it making the whole explanation go in a different direction. Not perfect, but close.

That makes sense. Thx!
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #4042
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,884
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

First club race on new tires. Got third against some insanely fast locals. Not having a slipper will take some getting used to. How do I adjust the diffs so it does not feel like the front is carrying most of the load of getting the car to move forward. Running tessmans setup from Reedy Race. Poor guy with a 22-4 broke it in two out of the three heats we had.... (Church giggles)
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #4043
Tech Elite
 
RC*PHREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,421
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

if you feel like too much power is going to the front, you would go thicker in the center diff.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #4044
Tech Master
 
racer x 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: im 4rm a far away place called 1st
Posts: 1,825
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

for those that ran surf city classic dont forget to post your set ups . I know when I talked to JD Mora a few weeks back when he was practicing for it he ran a set up mirroring Tessmans Reedy set up. Curious to see if any others can share.
__________________
Matt Bell
Mugen MRX5 Ae R5.2 X6^3 M11x All powered by Speedtech Rc
racer x 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #4045
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,884
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
if you feel like too much power is going to the front, you would go thicker in the center diff.
Would thickening up the rear help out?
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #4046
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,884
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
for those that ran surf city classic dont forget to post your set ups . I know when I talked to JD Mora a few weeks back when he was practicing for it he ran a set up mirroring Tessmans Reedy set up. Curious to see if any others can share.
Was supposed to run it, but a problem center diff and a usps screw up kept me from running there.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #4047
Tech Fanatic
 
Matt :-)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Tn
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Would thickening up the rear help out?
Think of it like this.

Heavier center diff oil would be similar to tightening a slipper clutch. Putting more equal power front and rear.

Thinner center diff oil would be similar to loosening a slipper clutch. Putting more power to the front while on throttle.

The following does hold basic fact / truth, but ultimately comes down to the condition of the track surface and personal driving style.

Heavier rear diff oil may help give you more straight forward bite (as long as the center diff is supplying enough drive to the rear) , but the rear might want to lose traction while on throttle through a turn.

Lighter rear diff oil will provide better on throttle control in turns, and personally I've never really been in a situation where it hurt my speed on the straights.

Hope this is helpful.
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #4048
Tech Fanatic
 
Red78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 753
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I've played with a few different combos on a dirt track outside..med to les then med bite.. 10/50/10 seems to work real well.. I also tried that on carpet and I liked it. Jumped nice and and panty of brk control
Red78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #4049
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,884
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
Think of it like this.

Heavier center diff oil would be similar to tightening a slipper clutch. Putting more equal power front and rear.

Thinner center diff oil would be similar to loosening a slipper clutch. Putting more power to the front while on throttle.

The following does hold basic fact / truth, but ultimately comes down to the condition of the track surface and personal driving style.

Heavier rear diff oil may help give you more straight forward bite (as long as the center diff is supplying enough drive to the rear) , but the rear might want to lose traction while on throttle through a turn.

Lighter rear diff oil will provide better on throttle control in turns, and personally I've never really been in a situation where it hurt my speed on the straights.

Hope this is helpful.
Makes sense to me. Always wondered why we ran 10K up front and 3K rear with the slipper relatively tight, but not too tight as to strip the diff gears in an XB4. I'm almost positive now that I have slept on it that having new tires is always going to be a hindrance at first. It only was doing it in one section of the track which stays wet pretty much all day long while other parts dry up a little bit and have better grip.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #4050
Tech Apprentice
 
RockStew's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
Think of it like this.

Heavier center diff oil would be similar to tightening a slipper clutch. Putting more equal power front and rear.

Thinner center diff oil would be similar to loosening a slipper clutch. Putting more power to the front while on throttle.

The following does hold basic fact / truth, but ultimately comes down to the condition of the track surface and personal driving style.

Heavier rear diff oil may help give you more straight forward bite (as long as the center diff is supplying enough drive to the rear) , but the rear might want to lose traction while on throttle through a turn.

Lighter rear diff oil will provide better on throttle control in turns, and personally I've never really been in a situation where it hurt my speed on the straights.

Hope this is helpful.
Oh man dude you just stoked the crap out of me with this info I am getting the picture!!!!! one piece left what happens in the front by increasing, decreasing the weight oil?
__________________
B5M,TEKNO SCT 410,T5M,HB D413,TEKIN,DE WHEELS,TRINITY,PROLINE,JCONCEPTS,SDRC,IERC, EclipseRC.com, AIRTRONICS,
RockStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:19 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net