R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree31Likes

Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #3121
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Will there be a metal spur option down the track?

Or is a metal spur not really done in 1/10?

Could we cut our own hole in the chassis under the spur to let rocks out?

I am a bit leary of ordering this car, it's been on my mind due to parts and kits availability.
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #3122
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm trying to test the theory that chassis flex will cause the gear to strip. I'm twisting the car with a heavy bit of force with the motor hold down loose and it doesn't cause any movement. The motor mount itself would have to flex and its not. I used a brand new pinion gear. My car is quieter than the other 2 d413 at my track. That is the only thing different than the other 2 cars. One of them recently stripped his spur. But his car is always filthy. It looks like its never been cleaned. My car looks like I built it yesterday. There are so many of these cars running and we've heard of some spurs stripping. For sure one on here was a bad pinion. That pinion looks like a saw blade. Ty is right new spur new pinion. I've always done that and had no issues. Plus check your mesh a lot and keep it clean. No one would say anything if we could jump online and order 2 new ones. Did we really think we'd have zero issues with a new car on its first production run? Soon parts will be available and upgrades too. Then we will all be fighting for the newest upgrades. It'll all be fun in the end. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #3123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYTESSMANN View Post
I have been reading the posts about spur gears stripping and I thought I would let you all know what my experiences have been. I can honestly say that I have never stripped a spur gear, now I know that right away people are going to say that I probably replace them on a regular basis but that is not the case. For example at the worlds I ran 10 practice rounds, 6 qualifiers and 3 mains on one of the biggest, fastest, most abusive to cars and high grip tracks that I have ever seen in 1/10 scale racing, cars of all brands were breaking all kinds of parts and I can say that the only thing I wrecked was a front sway bar and that happened during the incident with 2 other cars in the second A main. I'm not going to try and tell anyone what they could be doing wrong or what could be happening with their cars all I can tell you is what I have done and my experiences. With all my cars whenever I use a new spur gear whether it be 1/8 or 1/10 I match it up with a new steel pinion gear or clutch bell, I never use aluminum in off road. I believe it is very important that they wear perfectly together to extend the life of both, gear mesh is obviously critical as well as making sure the motor is tight and is impossible to move. As far as driving the car as hard as I can I never hesitate, if you watch A3 of the worlds where I made probably the biggest mistake of my career, taking the corner to fast and rolling over and giving up the lead, then so I wouldn't lose even more time I used throttle and steering to right myself as I would in 1/8 scale, and with a track with that much grip I can't imagine any situation that would put more stress on a spur gear or chassis, yet my spur gear did not strip. I have done this many times prior to this and many times after. I have the confidence in the car to be able to do this and know I won't damage anything.
I would have to say that the way the car is designed with the motor mounted on the center diff mount joined top and bottom with carbon fiber that there is no way that it would flex that much without bending the aluminum mount which I have also never done.
Don't get me wrong I do feel for those of you that are having trouble getting parts I don't understand why this keeps happening and I can't say that I wouldn't be just as upset as you are, all I can say is that I hope that parts will be available very soon.
It is kind of an odd problem. It's only a couple of people that have posted but such a strange issue to ever happen. A friend of mine recently did the same thing on his Durango while we were running on an indoor clay track... I remember exactly when you flipped yourself over in that main - looked so weird to see a 1/10th do that! Anyway, I agree with an exposed drivetrain like the D413, definitely use a new pinion with a new spur. I have a different car but I've run maybe 40 packs - at 25 minutes per run with a 6.5 turn through mine and it still sounds like new as far as pinion/spur goes. It's outlasted some of the bearings in my drivetrain.
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #3124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

fort hose of you on the prowl for parts. http://www.absolutehobbyz.com they got more than anywhere else that I have seen.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #3125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

All I can say is that in 25+ years I have never seen an aluminum pinion succumb to the rigors of a plastic spur. I have seen aluminum pinions melt a plastic spur to a pulp and the pinion isn't too badly worn. I've seen this on both 48 and 64 pitch gears.

I have also on the rare occasion seen slippers loosening in the middle of races and the driver keeps running until it gives out and then the spur melts all over everything and then it's a fine locked up mess.

Eventually aluminum pinions do wear out and need replacing but they will EASILY outlast any plastic spur unless it's an alloy of such low quality it's what we refer to as cheap pot metal. Steel will hold up better but a pinion made from T6 it's going to hold up for years.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 AM   #3126
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
fort hose of you on the prowl for parts. http://www.absolutehobbyz.com they got more than anywhere else that I have seen.
They are hurting for parts now too. UK is the best way to go atm, unfortunately.
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #3127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I spoke to the owner of absolute as I was looking for the 2dot holders. He told me he received 1 pair and he ordered 10. I have to say this is by far the worst experience I ever had with a RC company.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 AM   #3128
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
I spoke to the owner of absolute as I was looking for the 2dot holders. He told me he received 1 pair and he ordered 10. I have to say this is by far the worst experience I ever had with a RC company.
I can't say it's the "worst" experience because I absolutely love this car. However, it may end up as a shelf queen soon if no parts are available and I break a part like a rear hub or a spur gear.

This is also why companies like Associated are on top in NA because they are large enough to make parts and get them to market in large quantities. Yes, they also had parts issues with the B5, but that was remedied really quickly at least around my area.

It sounds like they have a small operation that creates these parts and they also chose just TowerHobbies and their parent company as the lone distributor for this car. Add to that it comes from overseas, and with a demand that is fairly good right now, and you have what we see in front of us.

I am willing to bet that the creator is frustrated and you already see that TY has expressed frustration with this situation, so all we can do is wait and see if this car sticks or becomes another great RC that never had a real chance to make its mark due to lack of support within the average Joe race world.
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #3129
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The Spur gear issues have to be mesh related, Could be any number of causes for a mesh to not line up though... sloppy bearing in endbell or on the diff, bent motor mount, loose screw on motor mount, etc and so on. But I think a metal spur gear will not solve any of those issues. It will make the car much noisier though.

I am now officially looking forward to the new shock caps myself. Finally popped a plastic cap off the other day, but it took a flying cartwheel into cinder block wall to pull it off. But going back on the cap was determined to cross thread, so a replacement of some kind will be needed.
lbenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #3130
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have owned allot of new released cars and everytime I get one its hard to get parts for awhile, you just need to be a little patient I understand you want parts and you want them now but you bought a car that is a new release car that is selling like crazy. It will get better by the way not one d413 here has striped a single spur yet and we have 4 at my track that run on a regular basis.
jt409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #3131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Me, I am still good, still up and running, but I think the threads on my shock cap may have a ding in them so I have to be extra careful not to cross thread them down.

Parts that are on pre-order for whatever reason look to be due at the end of the month.

It will work out, but you are right there is a price for being on the edge of any product.
lbenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #3132
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 310 (100%+)

I haven't stripped a spur or think it's an issue. Just want to have an extra.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #3133
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYTESSMANN View Post
I have been reading the posts about spur gears stripping and I thought I would let you all know what my experiences have been. I can honestly say that I have never stripped a spur gear, now I know that right away people are going to say that I probably replace them on a regular basis but that is not the case. For example at the worlds I ran 10 practice rounds, 6 qualifiers and 3 mains on one of the biggest, fastest, most abusive to cars and high grip tracks that I have ever seen in 1/10 scale racing, cars of all brands were breaking all kinds of parts and I can say that the only thing I wrecked was a front sway bar and that happened during the incident with 2 other cars in the second A main. I'm not going to try and tell anyone what they could be doing wrong or what could be happening with their cars all I can tell you is what I have done and my experiences. With all my cars whenever I use a new spur gear whether it be 1/8 or 1/10 I match it up with a new steel pinion gear or clutch bell, I never use aluminum in off road. I believe it is very important that they wear perfectly together to extend the life of both, gear mesh is obviously critical as well as making sure the motor is tight and is impossible to move. As far as driving the car as hard as I can I never hesitate, if you watch A3 of the worlds where I made probably the biggest mistake of my career, taking the corner to fast and rolling over and giving up the lead, then so I wouldn't lose even more time I used throttle and steering to right myself as I would in 1/8 scale, and with a track with that much grip I can't imagine any situation that would put more stress on a spur gear or chassis, yet my spur gear did not strip. I have done this many times prior to this and many times after. I have the confidence in the car to be able to do this and know I won't damage anything.
I would have to say that the way the car is designed with the motor mounted on the center diff mount joined top and bottom with carbon fiber that there is no way that it would flex that much without bending the aluminum mount which I have also never done.
Don't get me wrong I do feel for those of you that are having trouble getting parts I don't understand why this keeps happening and I can't say that I wouldn't be just as upset as you are, all I can say is that I hope that parts will be available very soon.
Thanks for the post Ty! It's nice to actually see a Top Factory Driver that cares enough bout his company and enough about fellow racers to come on rctech and share his opinions and experiences!

Especially the one about the mistake at the worlds
(It was a bummer, but something tells me you'll be back with a vengeance!)

I made sure to set the mesh a bit snug on my D413, used blue loc-tite on all the screws that were metal to metal, and last but not least made sure to tighten the actually clamping portion of the motor mount EVENLY!

I've only run the car for a few batteries but , knock on wood, so far so good!

As for everyone who is frustrated with Hot Bodies / HPI I get it! It's no fun having a brand new car out of commission..........

But it seems to me that even AE one of the biggest RC companies in the world struggled to deliver even basic B5 replacement parts for quite some time.

I'm sure hot bodies would love to take our money in exchange for parts right now!

I'm going to try and be patient....this car really is the next level in 4w buggies! I've owned or driven almost all of em........It'll be worth the wait!

See you guys out there

Check out my "YouTube" channel
www.youtube.com/shortcourseworld
Jason Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #3134
Tech Master

I use RRP pinions. metal ones. no aluminum pinions. I keep my mesh quite loose. the spur you see in the picture is my original spur that has run 60+ packs .

just check your mesh after and before every run. and while your at it, check your pinion also.

get familiar with how your buggy sounds, you can hear right away when it is not good, cause your buggy will sound different.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #3135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

HB has the same problem with TC stuff, a few friends ran them for a while when the tcxx came out, but getting parts was impossible at times, luckily some stuff from other brands worked, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a steady stream of parts anytime soon.