Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy >

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Old 05-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

tomorrow will be the 5th week on the car, running about 7 - 8 batteries a day. I have no leaks and no change in diff performance. I won't fix what ain't broke. Concideriing the car will wheelie in sections of the track, the center isn't breaking down at all.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've got about 25-30 packs run on my buggy, other than a new motor and an inspection on my ring/pinions in the diffs, I haven't done anything to my kit yet.

Not a single adjustment.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sofa King
Don't think anyone has had the car long enough to need a diff oil change
lots of other cars from hpi/HB with metal gear diff's...my savage xs has seen alot of action, since it was released, and i just did the oil a couple of months ago...so a couple of years for that one...hehe....

my vorza is still running stock oil....and doing just fine...

the d413 is a racing product, unlike the savage and vorza which is more basher oriented...racers tend to be pretty anal about their stuff, redoing a diff might not be necessary, but it gives peace of mind that it has been inspected, and is in tip top shape !

BTW...dont overfill your gear diff's in the 413....you need to leave some air in there because the oil will heat up and expand...oil dont compress, but air does...if theres air it will compress as the diff heats up....if there no air, the oil will still expand and push past seals and you end up with a diff that has leaked a bit, but you wont know if its a constant leak, or just a one time thing as the oil just needed a bit of room....so do as the manual says
Old 05-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

i wanted to try 15K oil in the front diff, per alderboy's recomendation (thanks for the oil :-)

so i made a video of it....its a bunch of screws and i bet i can do it faster with some practice...but the first couple of times its a 30 min thing, the oil is super thick and needs a bit of help and time to settle in.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default first 2 race days

I've put 2 race days on my D413 so far. The track i'm racing on is a loose, low grip, smooth track with a couple big jumps.

The first day I had the 4 x 1.2 pistons all the way around and 37.5 in the front and 30 in the rear. This had way too much pack and I was having trouble landing the big jumps. I initially had problems traction rolling, but reducing the front droop seemed to solve that problem. I did have the fastest lap of the day but finished a disappointing 6th in the main after qualifying 3rd.

For the second race I changed to the 4 x 1.3 pistons. Initially I went with 35 in the front and 30 in the back, but that was still a bit too stiff so I changed to 32.5 front and 27.5 rear. That seemed to be the ticket and I won both of the double a mains to take the win in a 16 car field.

I'm using the kit springs, and my diffs are 10/60/3. Camber links are same as tessman OCRC setup. I felt the car jumped and landed great, but was a little weak on the steering, especially in a couple of low speed sections with tight corners. I would like to use a stiffer rear spring to see if I can get a little more steering and free up the rear a little. Any other ideas to improve the low speed steering (kind of a mix of on power and off power on the different turns)?

I really don't feel like I understand how to tune with a center diff. From reading this thread it sounds like heavy oil in the center diff helps you clear big jumps. What does thinner oil in the center diff do?

The car has been a tank so far. I have about 2 hours of runtime on it and I haven't broken a thing.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rasheed
I've put 2 race days on my D413 so far. The track i'm racing on is a loose, low grip, smooth track with a couple big jumps.

The first day I had the 4 x 1.2 pistons all the way around and 37.5 in the front and 30 in the rear. This had way too much pack and I was having trouble landing the big jumps. I initially had problems traction rolling, but reducing the front droop seemed to solve that problem. I did have the fastest lap of the day but finished a disappointing 6th in the main after qualifying 3rd.

For the second race I changed to the 4 x 1.3 pistons. Initially I went with 35 in the front and 30 in the back, but that was still a bit too stiff so I changed to 32.5 front and 27.5 rear. That seemed to be the ticket and I won both of the double a mains to take the win in a 16 car field.

I'm using the kit springs, and my diffs are 10/60/3. Camber links are same as tessman OCRC setup. I felt the car jumped and landed great, but was a little weak on the steering, especially in a couple of low speed sections with tight corners. I would like to use a stiffer rear spring to see if I can get a little more steering and free up the rear a little. Any other ideas to improve the low speed steering (kind of a mix of on power and off power on the different turns)?

I really don't feel like I understand how to tune with a center diff. From reading this thread it sounds like heavy oil in the center diff helps you clear big jumps. What does thinner oil in the center diff do?

The car has been a tank so far. I have about 2 hours of runtime on it and I haven't broken a thing.

Center diff oil:
Thicker will make it more full time 4wd. Good for smooth and/or high bite tracks. Doesn't always like bumpy tracks.

Thinner will let one end or the other have more power and not feel like a full time 4wd. Does do better in the bumpy stuff, almost like fwd, and can pull the car through more and not get as upset.

That's the general idea.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Legend

Rasheed

just drove Joe K.

Has Orion esc & motor, was its 5th run.

Need's polishing, will let you know how it goes.

Kool Azz lookN ride though...
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I saw one of these running locally last week. The car seemed kinda noisy. Kinda like the techno 4x4 truck sounded. I assume it was the gear diffs. But the guy ended up leaving early, so maybe it was something else. Nice looking car.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I saw one of these running locally last week. The car seemed kinda noisy. Kinda like the techno 4x4 truck sounded. I assume it was the gear diffs. But the guy ended up leaving early, so maybe it was something else. Nice looking car.
I put a little gear grease on my metal gears and mine doesnt sound like that
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

It is noisy due to the extra diff, but it just lets the 22-4 and b44.2 drivers know that it's an HB D413 driving by them on the track.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

i dont think think its noisy due to the extra diff, but rather metal ring and pinion...a slight amount of grease will quiet it down a bit, dont over do it, most of it will get flung off and just makes a mess
Old 06-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not if you use Durango's Green Gear Grease Part # TDR390017

This stuff is amazing and it sticks to the gears like white on rice.

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...go-Gear-Grease
Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What kind of torque is necessary for a steering servo on a 1/10 4wd buggy ?

Also, I'm curious to see what torque most people prefer. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

130oz and up and you should be fine. I run an Xpert 4000 servo that is .08/250oz of TQ in mine, but that much TQ isn't needed.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlderBoy
130oz and up and you should be fine. I run an Xpert 4000 servo that is .08/250oz of TQ in mine, but that much TQ isn't needed.
250.......geez bro. You're halfway to crawler. Thanks for the info today!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.