Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Me too. Oh well it just delays me being broke for a few more weeks.
I joined you guys today waiting for tower to ship in late May and my kit to get on a plane and arrive in mid June.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)
Default Help with setup

Hey guys, got a question regarding the setup on the D413. I am not new to 4wd buggy but I am fairly new to how this car is setup. Does anyone have a diagram or document that explains what each dot represents for kickup, anti squat?....etc

Thanks again in advance.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skyline1015
Hey guys, got a question regarding the setup on the D413. I am not new to 4wd buggy but I am fairly new to how this car is setup. Does anyone have a diagram or document that explains what each dot represents for kickup, anti squat?....etc

Thanks again in advance.
It is in the manual...here, and on the setup sheets... here
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Ok guys. buggy is built and ready to go. Ive been reading that people are having issues with heat. I am running a Speed pasion 6.0T with 23t. You guys think that is good for a somewhat large track with a 100ft straight going into a sweeper? Guys I run with are fast so i need to keep up...LOL
Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skyline1015
Ok guys. buggy is built and ready to go. Ive been reading that people are having issues with heat. I am running a Speed pasion 6.0T with 23t. You guys think that is good for a somewhat large track with a 100ft straight going into a sweeper? Guys I run with are fast so i need to keep up...LOL
You should be fine, I put a fan on mine and haven't had an issue
Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IDK why high temps would be an issue with this buggy being as it's not as heavy as some other wheelers which are the ones that run higher temps. The 410 is notorious for running considerably high temps but that's due to its heft. I'd venture to say it's one of the heaviest wheelers out. There's no way the 413 is as heavy and therefore any high temps that are considerably high must be due to over gearing, timing, host, etc.

Compared to my 410, this car has a ton of room on the chassis for placing a nice 30mm fan to keep the motor cool. Stay away from the Scorpion brand fans as they are junk. I suggest the MuchMore fans. They are very slim and durable and plenty fast to do the job.

I've wondered about the SP Dokyo drift motors with the built in fan on the end bell for the cleanliness and simplicity aspects but I don't know if 4WD is too rough for those motors.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ordered from Absolutehobbyz last week and got my kit on Wednesday. Built it up and had time to run 2 packs yesterday. Coming from running a kyosho 4wd the past 2 years. Here's my initial thoughts.

Build was really great. Car went together nicely. I thought it was kind of weird that there were literally no words in the manual. Sometimes a sentence or two of explanation might have been helpful. Couple mistakes I made:
- the body mounts are different lengths, the tall one goes in the back. I messed this up and it was hard to change it after the car was built
- be careful screwing in the screws for the center diff. The screws can easily dig into the plastic and deform the gear.

Setup - I don't have a drill to drill pistons, so I was kind of on my own with shock setup. I cut the bladders and used the 4 x 1.2 pistons with 37.5 in the front and 30 in the rear. I used the kit springs. Otherwise I mostly followed the OCRC setup but made the shock lengths shorter for less droop. The car actually felt really good on the track. A lot of steering, sometimes a little too aggressive for my taste. Especially off power the car seemed to want to dive forward and hook a little. I think next time out I will consider stiffer front springs and/or less rear droop. Maybe try a front sway bar. But overall I was really happy. It was stable, yet still nimble. I could really feel the difference on hard acceleration not having the slipper in there.

I used a 20 tooth pinion and my temps were fine. My track has a short straight so top speed is not a concern for me.

The body was really annoying to put together and feels kind of weak. I'm not a big fan of the 4 piece body. I bought the proline body but need to get it painted.

This car definitely sounds different than your normal 4wd buggy. i think it is the metal pinion to diff connections that make it pretty loud. I kind of liked it, sounds a bit angry when you get on the throttle!

Overall I'm already happy where the buggy is at now and think I will be able to make it quite a bit better once I get a day to tune it and try some different setups...
Old 05-11-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Back from my first day at the track!

• No temperature problems: though I could have gone up a tooth or two. I was running a Turnigy TrackStar 4600kv sensored (8.5t) w/22t pinion
  • I'm not servicing the diffs until my 1/4" 1.3mm hex driver tip comes in the mail
  • I was recycling my 22 tires: soft J-Concept Bar Codes on the rear - but everyone else said clay-compound Pro-Line IONs were what I should try (plus I had the narrower 2wd front rims + Suburbs on). Off-power steering through 180's wasn't great.
  • I did add shims to the steering crossbar, but there's still quite a bit of slop in the front (my SCT410 is tighter all around, and it's a SCT that has a year of wear) - but it still tracked straight as an arrow
  • I was trying this setup: except for I only had the kit springs and pistons (4x1.3 front, 4x1.4 rear)

Hopefully by next time I'll have the new tires and exact springs/pistons to give that setup a proper try... then start tweaking. This is my first 4wd buggy, I think I'm going to have fun this summer!

Last edited by PetRock; 05-11-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:09 AM
mes
Tech Elite

22 front rims should not be an issue as Ty is also running them, but 2WD front tires might be the reason for off-power understeer.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Are there any two hole pistons from other manufacturers that fit the d413 shocks ?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
Torrance I have to give u props!! The other day I slammed into the back of a 22-4 at full speed!! Nothing broke, only bent the 3x20 screw. The other car destroyed the rear arm. Coming from kyosho cars, this car is a pleasure to work on. I'm looking forward to see what u can do with a 2wd buggy!!
Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint with the 2wd.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by evolution03
Are there any two hole pistons from other manufacturers that fit the d413 shocks ?
while designing the D413 shocks I tried match the piston diameters with the TLR 22 pistons. I figured they'd have a bunch of piston options available by the time our car comes out. In theory they should fit but at this point however I haven't verified yet if they actually fit. I'm pretty sure Durangos won't fit.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PetRock
Back from my first day at the track!

• No temperature problems: though I could have gone up a tooth or two. I was running a Turnigy TrackStar 4600kv sensored (8.5t) w/22t pinion
  • I'm not servicing the diffs until my 1/4" 1.3mm hex driver tip comes in the mail
  • I was recycling my 22 tires: soft J-Concept Bar Codes on the rear - but everyone else said clay-compound Pro-Line IONs were what I should try (plus I had the narrower 2wd front rims + Suburbs on). Off-power steering through 180's wasn't great.
  • I did add shims to the steering crossbar, but there's still quite a bit of slop in the front (my SCT410 is tighter all around, and it's a SCT that has a year of wear) - but it still tracked straight as an arrow
  • I was trying this setup: except for I only had the kit springs and pistons (4x1.3 front, 4x1.4 rear)

Hopefully by next time I'll have the new tires and exact springs/pistons to give that setup a proper try... then start tweaking. This is my first 4wd buggy, I think I'm going to have fun this summer!
Curious about how the TrackStar performs on clearing a triple ? Have you had the opportunity to try one ? If so, how big was it ? Just trying to get an idea of how torquey the motor might be.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T. Deguzman
Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint with the 2wd.
When?! Is it time yet?!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
Curious about how the TrackStar performs on clearing a triple ? Have you had the opportunity to try one ? If so, how big was it ? Just trying to get an idea of how torquey the motor might be.
Where I drove only has one large double and a 4-jump rhythm section that everyone takes as a double-double... so no big triple (just lots more baby jumps). But I never lacked power: I have to practice not over-jumping things

This is the motor if you want to see the specs. I'm using it with this ESC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.