R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree42Likes

Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #2371
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post
Black front and no rear. Or make a 1.9mm front and use the copper rear. I have made a !.6mm and 1.9mm bar for the front.
  • Black = 1.4mm
  • Silver = 1.3mm
  • Copper = 1.2mm
Surprised. Lots of people run back only on other kits. What is the reasoning behind front only for chassis roll?
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

@Torrance
Yeah, 19t on my B44 with a 6.5t

@people with heat issues
Thought about cutting a vent on the side of the body where it turns into the front wheels? Let some air flow through there.
Edit... I see Chris vented the body.

I would imagine a center diff would create more heat in the motor, without the slipper you have more load on the motor when accelerating out of turns.
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #2373
Tech Adept

IMO a 540 motor is perfectly suited to 2wd buggy. It is a bit stressed in SC when you start running a bunch of practice laps. I feel 540 motors are not enough for a wheeler if you want to drive it more then race time. I don't own this buggy, but the fact that you can probably drive it really hard is contributing to why the motors are getting hot.

Running a center diff allows the front end to diff out, allowing you to be harder on the trigger under control. The car should need more throttle to get the same speed if you are losing drive through wheel spin due to diffing out. Maybe try a higher center diff fluid weight?
Hacksback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #2374
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

At my local astro track they are running 18/81 and 17/81 on 6.5's in B44's. Not a big deal, I will just put fan on it, I had to run a fan in my ZX5 too.
Jakesterama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #2375
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Temp problems

It's spring here in the US, kind of surprises me that so many guy are having issues with the 413's running hot. It shouldn't be that tough to get your gearing in check. Maybe a fan but I don't use them, I race 3 classes in the summer and never have issues with over heating. Set your esc, gear properly and don't over use the brakes. A light weight 1/10 buggy shouldn't be a problem controlling the temps. I would have a meltdown if a 1/10 4wd buggy came off that track after 10min at more than 150 degrees. If I have any problems with my d413 running hot first I'll try a small heat sink, they're good for a few degrees with minimum weight added.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #2376
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Source of heat?

Maybe this comment from earlier has something to do with the motor heat concerns?:

Originally Posted by Richard Lowe

"On the subject of the drivetrain it would be a good idea to leave a freshly built car running on the bench for a while, out of the box the bearings have quite a bit of thick grease in them so when you first run it can feel a little tight to the point of being a bit like a drag brake when you let off the throttle. Mine had all day running and it's still freeing up, Nathan's car had an extra day's worth of testing on it and it felt nice and free to drive."
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #2377
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My heat issue in my motor was my fault.

I must admit very candidly, that I haven't had a 1/10 buggy before... I tossed a 28t pinion on it... and let it get away from me. I check my esc temps every few laps because it was a $230 RSX... my $40 speed passion motor, I wasn't too worried about.

I had it geared at 8.49........ pretty fast little bugger though.
erevo1*16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #2378
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksback View Post
IMO a 540 motor is perfectly suited to 2wd buggy. It is a bit stressed in SC when you start running a bunch of practice laps. I feel 540 motors are not enough for a wheeler if you want to drive it more then race time. I don't own this buggy, but the fact that you can probably drive it really hard is contributing to why the motors are getting hot.

Running a center diff allows the front end to diff out, allowing you to be harder on the trigger under control. The car should need more throttle to get the same speed if you are losing drive through wheel spin due to diffing out. Maybe try a higher center diff fluid weight?
Not really, 540 in other wheelers have no heat issues., I bet it's the center diff. Doesn't really matter. Waiting for second batch to come in. Guess I'll set up like 17.5 TC blinky.
Mercenary Racer

Last edited by jmoneym; 05-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #2379
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneym View Post
Not really, 540 in other wheelers have no heat issues., I bet it's the center diff. Doesn't really matter. Waiting for second batch to come in. Guess I'll set up like 17.5 TC blinky.
I have heat issues with my 22-4... Same as many others. It isn't necessarily just this car. I can see some of the wheelers having less of an issue because they could be lighter or have a more efficient drive train. Just sayin... would be nice to be able to practice like I can with my 2wd without fear of overheating. Maybe a tekin pro2
Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #2380
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm trying to learn from this thread for a while before I drop the dime on my 1st 10th scale 4wd buggy.

There is plenty of room on the D413. Why NOT put a 550 size motor on it ? I would think a 550 would run cooler.
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #2381
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm trying to learn from this thread for a while before I drop the dime on my 1st 10th scale 4wd buggy.

There is plenty of room on the D413. Why NOT put a 550 size motor on it ? I would think a 550 would run cooler.

But everyone will say it's way more power then is needed and flame you.
"It isn't roar approved"
"a 540 is more than enough"

Your motor will last longer due to running cooler. It will probably be more efficient due to the decreased heat. You would actually be able to practice to LVC (not recommended) without thermaling and be able to run pack after pack at the track with a huge grin on your face.

But shame on you
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #2382
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksback View Post

But everyone will say it's way more power then is needed and flame you.
"It isn't roar approved"
"a 540 is more than enough"

Your motor will last longer due to running cooler. It will probably be more efficient due to the decreased heat. You would actually be able to practice to LVC (not recommended) without thermaling and be able to run pack after pack at the track with a huge grin on your face.

But shame on you
Heck, a 550 might be the way to go for me. My 9 year old daughter and I pretty much only attend club races. I've never entered a ROAR race, and I don't care if people flame me at the track . The only reason I'm into R/C is because I enjoy having a BIG DUMB GRIN on my face !!!

Been running nothin but 8th scale lately just because I like driving things that are ridiculously over powered and can take the punishment of a 9 year old learning how to race. The D413 is the only 10th scale buggy that has my attention. I really admire the design. I wouldn't mind putting a 550 on it just so the temps would be lower. All the other guys at the track wouldn't have to worry about me having an unfair advantage because I don't have the skills to compete with them anyway !!!
Matt :-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #2383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 413 looks beast but if that's the only wheeler that has your attention you haven't been looking. There are at least 2 other wheelers on a similar level to the 413, the 410 and the XB4.

I'm sure some innovations on this car will find their way onto other cars which speaks to this platform's trick and slick engineering. The 410 was once the benchmark and the XB4, being heavily based on the 410 came through with a bit more refinement. Now the cycle will continue.

I really want this car but will continue to run my 410 for some time to come, once I'm recovered from this god forsaken surgery. Grrrr!!!
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #2384
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt :-) View Post
Heck, a 550 might be the way to go for me. My 9 year old daughter and I pretty much only attend club races. I've never entered a ROAR race, and I don't care if people flame me at the track . The only reason I'm into R/C is because I enjoy having a BIG DUMB GRIN on my face !!!

Been running nothin but 8th scale lately just because I like driving things that are ridiculously over powered and can take the punishment of a 9 year old learning how to race. The D413 is the only 10th scale buggy that has my attention. I really admire the design. I wouldn't mind putting a 550 on it just so the temps would be lower. All the other guys at the track wouldn't have to worry about me having an unfair advantage because I don't have the skills to compete with them anyway !!!
What an awesome attitude!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #2385
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudin4evr View Post
what are u using to make the bars?
I use music wire from LHS. When you have been racing as long as I have you learn to make what you can, at least you don't have to solder ends on like we did for the RC500 1/8th cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybeau40 View Post
Surprised. Lots of people run back only on other kits. What is the reasoning behind front only for chassis roll?
Something I read on full size car set-ups that has always stuck in my head stated "sway bars are used to control the loss of traction". Sway bars do control roll, they also allow you limit over steer. Years ago at a 1/8th road race I knock off the front sway bar link fixing the car in the hot pits from a crash during the warm-up, The car went from being perfectly neutral handling into an severely over steering monster. It took 15min to re-learn how to drive the car, I came from 4 laps down to finish 2nd 3sec behind the leader after 45min.. A stiffer front bar will take out more steering than a softer bar while using the same rear. You can try a softer rear as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
here's a quick final drive chart for the D413:

pinion/spur --> FDR
20/72 --> 11.91
21/72 --> 11.34
22/72 --> 10.83
23/72 --> 10.35
24/72 --> 9.92
25/72 --> 9.53
26/72 --> 9.16
27/72 --> 8.82

so according to some of you, 11.91 final drive isn't geared low enough? i did some checking in the AE site for their B44.2 setup sheets. in general they run a 10.66 final drive with a 6.5T motor using a 19/81 pinion/spur combo. they'd have to go all the way down to 17/81 to even get an 11.91 final drive and i didn't see any of their setups go that low on gearing even for guys running 5.5T motors.

Ty runs a 5.5T and he's at 11.34 final drive (21/72). show me concrete evidence of other 4wheelers in your respective areas that run gear ratios 11.91 and up then we'll see about making new spurs or whatnot.
Torrance, they are miss-stating they're need. They want a bigger spur because they can't gear down enough.