R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #2056
Tech Elite
 
rcjunky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,184
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I think Ty said the low wing gives it less roll
__________________
Official distributor of Dan-O-Mite Custom Parts- Durango 210 RF pivot blocks
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Team Durango Canada
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #2057
Tech Master
 
murky123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
With the wing sitting lower, will that give more downforce?
I did run low and high mounting. but due to track conditions and my poor driving I cant feel any differance.

I never had a 4wd buggy before, im trying to get rid of my 2wd driving style.


I just mounted it low, because I thought it would look cool .

this thing is a tank for sure. I was in a agressive mood the last 2 pack I ran today. And I had to bump off a few SCT's of the track because they where in my way and slower..

no sweat.

I do think of going up a few notches in my centerdiff and front diff. I had 5k center and 7k front. Now I want 7k center and 10k front. hoping to get just a little more push and a little less steering
__________________
AE SC10 4x4, Durango DEX210 + DESC210R, HB D413
www.rcracing.nl www.mvb.nl
murky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #2058
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 126
Default

when driving stock every little bit helps....be it degreasing bearings and using light oil, or cutting wires to a minimum along with using solid bullets...it all helps

in my scte i saw an increase in torque and speed, granted my caged bullets must have been garbage, as they where warm/hot enough to burn my hand....lab grade equipment, takes into account small clips etc...

in offroad it will be less noticeable, and if running mod i doubt you will notice at all...

that being said i have seen the copper tubes in batteries de-solder from bad connection with bad connectors...or case starting to melt around the tube
Cygnus X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #2059
Tech Regular
 
Rybeau40's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
I did run low and high mounting. but due to track conditions and my poor driving I cant feel any differance.

I never had a 4wd buggy before, im trying to get rid of my 2wd driving style.


I just mounted it low, because I thought it would look cool .

this thing is a tank for sure. I was in a agressive mood the last 2 pack I ran today. And I had to bump off a few SCT's of the track because they where in my way and slower..

no sweat.

I do think of going up a few notches in my centerdiff and front diff. I had 5k center and 7k front. Now I want 7k center and 10k front. hoping to get just a little more push and a little less steering

I noticed some setups with 100k oil on center, but you're running very light center oil. Curious on the differences.
__________________
Kyosho Lazer ZX-6R 10.1 Orion pro, Spektrum 6040
Team Associated B5M, Hitec servo Mod class, 10.0 Orion
Futaba 4PLS
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #2060
Tech Champion
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Low traction or medium to high traction.
More diffing out to the front or more equal power delivery.
__________________
BCE SCT410 / Hobbywing 3656sd ~ RX8.2
DEX210 / Trinity 17.5 ~ RS.2
Westcoast Raceway (R.I.P.) | SMC | PowerLab
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #2061
Tech Master
 
murky123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybeau40 View Post
I noticed some setups with 100k oil on center, but you're running very light center oil. Curious on the differences.
my track is hardpacked dirt, very low grip. often dusty.

low oil weight in the centerdiff makes the car easier to drive. Also I do not have big jumps / triples or quads that I have to make.

I started with 50K in the center and the car was nervous and the lower I went the easier the car was to drive.


Im getting some help with tuning my diffs from a few guys that run 1/8 scale.
__________________
AE SC10 4x4, Durango DEX210 + DESC210R, HB D413
www.rcracing.nl www.mvb.nl

Last edited by murky123; 04-27-2014 at 12:24 PM.
murky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #2062
Tech Master
 
tony2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,510
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
my track is hardpacked dirt, very low grip. often dusty.

low oil weight in the centerdiff makes the car easier to drive. Also I do not have big jumps / triples or quads that I have to make.

I started with 50K in the center and the car was nervous and the lower I went the easier the car was to drive.


Im getting some help with tuning my diffs from a few guys that run 1/8 scale.
Curious to know what you guys think about diff tuning for 1/10.

As in normalyl for 1/8 they run lower rear oils. If I do that in the yoke (yes i know its not a HB!! But it should have the same principals) it makes it over rotate on power.

When I use similar oils front and rear it has more rear grip on power. I found it very interesting when I first played with it. A bit backwards.

Anyway the 413 does look really cool. And the suspension seems super plush on landings, doesnt seem to slap out like the yoke.

Cheers
__________________
Anthony Campbell

Ryper Hobbies l AKA | AE
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #2063
Tech Elite
 
lbenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Posts: 2,132
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesterama View Post
+1

Deans made sense when ESC's were prewired and you had to put some kind of connector on them. Now that you have to solder the wire on the ESC anyway, it just makes sense to remove the intermediate connector. One less point of increased resistance, and one less thing to fail. I like to put a piece of red electrical tape around the + socket on my batteries just as a sanity check.
You really are not eliminating the intermediate connector, instead you are locating the connector in a pair of holes on the battery. It is possible to use cheap/bad/worn out bullets have major issues with resistance and heating things up.

Watched a guy the other day melt the plastic on two batteries around the inboard 4mm posts. He had a loose fit and it would heat up as the connector would arc.
lbenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #2064
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 126
Default

on race packs direct wire batteries, have wire soldered directly to the tab of the cell, eliminating a solder joint....most people who have had problems with deans is because of 2 things

1 they didnt actually use deans, but clones....the clones are made with inferior plastic with a melting point lower than real deans, this makes the connector "legs" getting loose...this can happen during soldering, or because of internal resistance heating up the plug...been there done that (in SCT), not buying clones again !

2 used a crappy clone with high internal resistance, they may look like deans, they may fit real deans...but a clone is a clone...sometimes the they work just fine in low current applications, like stock races or in basher equipment...but once in a 1/8 scale or short course truck, even in a mod buggy, problems starts to arise

on inboard packs, the taps are soldered to a board and the tubes soldered to the board, leading to a tiny bit more IR compared to direct wire

as lbenton said....when people use poor bullets be it caged or loose fit solids, the tube in the battery will heat up, sometimes enough to melt case, sometimes even enough to that the solder gets soft, thats when you see inboard packs with tubes leaning.

when talking about IR with one connector being say 2.9mohm, and another 0.5mohm in mod you probably wouldnt care as you got all the power you want, but in say stock racing every little bit counts, especially in Touring car stock 17.5 - 13.5 , cutting wires as short as possible, saves weight and resistance, using ceramic bearings, light weight sincle coated bodies, titanium screws etc...it all adds up some mods are cheaper than others....limiting IR is just one tuning point

switching from caged bullets to solids is fairly cheap at around 3$...so why run the risk with caged bullets ?
Cygnus X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #2065
Tech Regular
 
Rybeau40's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 289
Default

Superiorhobbies just refunded my purchase. Guess I'll be picking up a different wheeler instead. The lack of product on new items in this industry add to why it has issues at times getting new people or keeping people in the hobby.

Best of luck on the HB!
__________________
Kyosho Lazer ZX-6R 10.1 Orion pro, Spektrum 6040
Team Associated B5M, Hitec servo Mod class, 10.0 Orion
Futaba 4PLS
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #2066
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,196
Trader Rating: 309 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybeau40 View Post
Superiorhobbies just refunded my purchase. Guess I'll be picking up a different wheeler instead. The lack of product on new items in this industry add to why it has issues at times getting new people or keeping people in the hobby.

Best of luck on the HB!
There is no crying in RC.
__________________
Jermaine Mitchell
I laugh at serious racers acting like B****
Free Agent racing team. No sponsors needed.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #2067
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Have any of you guys got your parts from Tower ? My buggy is showing early May the parts are showing late April do you think they are holding my parts till the buggy comes in ?
evolution03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #2068
Tech Fanatic
 
Jakesterama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 865
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus X View Post
on race packs direct wire batteries, have wire soldered directly to the tab of the cell, eliminating a solder joint....most people who have had problems with deans is because of 2 things

1 they didnt actually use deans, but clones....the clones are made with inferior plastic with a melting point lower than real deans, this makes the connector "legs" getting loose...this can happen during soldering, or because of internal resistance heating up the plug...been there done that (in SCT), not buying clones again !

2 used a crappy clone with high internal resistance, they may look like deans, they may fit real deans...but a clone is a clone...sometimes the they work just fine in low current applications, like stock races or in basher equipment...but once in a 1/8 scale or short course truck, even in a mod buggy, problems starts to arise

on inboard packs, the taps are soldered to a board and the tubes soldered to the board, leading to a tiny bit more IR compared to direct wire

as lbenton said....when people use poor bullets be it caged or loose fit solids, the tube in the battery will heat up, sometimes enough to melt case, sometimes even enough to that the solder gets soft, thats when you see inboard packs with tubes leaning.

when talking about IR with one connector being say 2.9mohm, and another 0.5mohm in mod you probably wouldnt care as you got all the power you want, but in say stock racing every little bit counts, especially in Touring car stock 17.5 - 13.5 , cutting wires as short as possible, saves weight and resistance, using ceramic bearings, light weight sincle coated bodies, titanium screws etc...it all adds up some mods are cheaper than others....limiting IR is just one tuning point

switching from caged bullets to solids is fairly cheap at around 3$...so why run the risk with caged bullets ?
I would agree with you if the difference was 2.9 mOhm vs. 0.5 mOhm, but it isn't. You are the one that brought up the testing the SMC has done that I quoted previously. He found the difference is negligible.

You keep bringing up people who maintain their bullets like crap, and compare those to lab condition Deans. If someone buys bottom dollar bullets and doesn't maintain/replace them when needed, I doubt they are going to all-of-a-sudden properly maintain Deans connectors if they switch. You are going to see a similar rise in IR as their contacts get corroded, their crappy cold solder joints loosen, and the connector flops around their vehicle stressing its mechanical retention.

I am a big proponent of "do whatever makes you happy," and if Deans makes you happy, great.
__________________
if (racing_skill<AWESOME){
practice_lap++;
}
Jakesterama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #2069
Tech Champion
 
FastPete's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,202
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
all done, and driving great !!

That is sharp!
__________________
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #2070
Tech Addict
 
Mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Santee, Ca
Posts: 658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2 View Post
Curious to know what you guys think about diff tuning for 1/10.

As in normalyl for 1/8 they run lower rear oils. If I do that in the yoke (yes i know its not a HB!! But it should have the same principals) it makes it over rotate on power.

When I use similar oils front and rear it has more rear grip on power. I found it very interesting when I first played with it. A bit backwards.

Anyway the 413 does look really cool. And the suspension seems super plush on landings, doesnt seem to slap out like the yoke.

Cheers
It's all relative. Diff fluids will be determined by the rest of the car set-up, I.E. camber, caster, roll centers, shock oils, springs, mounting locations, ackerman, swaybars and weight distribution. Trying to compare diff fluids from one brand of car to another is like comparing apples to kiwis. LOL
__________________
Schumacher KF2se, Associated B5m CE (sold), Hot Bodies D413, Associated T5m, Axial Exo Terra, Schumacher Mi5, CRC 1/12, 3Racing FGX full suspension, Associated 18r
Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:48 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net