Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Going from AE to Mugen *NEED OPINIONS* >

Going from AE to Mugen *NEED OPINIONS*

Going from AE to Mugen *NEED OPINIONS*

Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by homershoots
Actually pulse if you look at lrps site their 1/8 buggy has the exact same setup, mb is a design for more European style tracks and the rear suspension setup is quite interesting as well.
that's correct, I was speaking about the Xray here to answer Zerodefect

What I like about the prototype XB9 pillow balls front end are all the adjustements possible, it looks far more advanced than Mugen.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pulse_
X6: more planted, easier when pushed hard

X7: more steering so a looser rear end

X7 Eco: not before the end of the year from what a Mugen driver told me but tim bumps makes a conversion
Pulse, have you driven the mbx7? I can tell you that that thing has a lot of grip once broken in. That car is pleasure to drive. It's like an mbx6 on steroids Little bit more steering and more agile/responsive.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Buying car based on whether the pro's won a race with it? Didn't know people still did that?

Kinda silly. They're tracks are very different than our tracks. I mean if the IFMAR Worlds track was made out of Jello and car eating Ostriches.......would that mean the winner of that race would be a good choice at your track?

The ROAR nats in Texas IIRC looked like hardpacked concrete dirt. You can bet that the pro setups for that track are radically different, almost useless, for my local outdoor tracks.

I actually wait until I can drive the car and witness it winning at MY LEVEL of racing before I fanboy it.

My Mugen ECO and AE are nowhere near as good as the Tekno or Serpent out of the box.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by morgoth
Pulse, have you driven the mbx7? I can tell you that that thing has a lot of grip once broken in. That car is pleasure to drive. It's like an mbx6 on steroids Little bit more steering and more agile/responsive.
I didn't but some friends own one. I should have asked them for a drive, next time! I'm sure I would like the mbx7 as it's supposed to be more nimble than the x6 but the price was to high for a buggy+ conversion. And to be honest I prefer Xray, Mugens are...everywhere. Just an anecdote that happened to me recently. A guy driving a Mugen comes to look my JQ and asks if it's a Mugen. I was like WHAT THE HELL He couldn't recognize his own car like if all cars were Mugens. I couldn't hold myself from laughing

Hope to see you again on a track one day, where do you race since Mol closed the track? Germany?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by homershoots
How long any car lasts before wearing or developing slop ect is totally dependent on how much you run what conditions you run in and the level of maintenance performed. That being said I've found the ae cars to be very durable in that respect and my buddy who runs mugens about the same so if the ae fits his driving style I wouldn't switch.
I disagree, although wear is dependent on what conditions you run on and how much maintenance you do, some cars wear much better than others. A serpent or xray will last much longer than an AE.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Buying car based on whether the pro's won a race with it? Didn't know people still did that?

Kinda silly. They're tracks are very different than our tracks. I mean if the IFMAR Worlds track was made out of Jello and car eating Ostriches.......would that mean the winner of that race would be a good choice at your track?

The ROAR nats in Texas IIRC looked like hardpacked concrete dirt. You can bet that the pro setups for that track are radically different, almost useless, for my local outdoor tracks.

I actually wait until I can drive the car and witness it winning at MY LEVEL of racing before I fanboy it.

My Mugen ECO and AE are nowhere near as good as the Tekno or Serpent out of the box.
Funny you say this, I race at that track in Houston all the time and found the Tekno very inconsistent out of the box, and anytime track conditions change or when you go to a different track, the setup needs to be re hauled. I got rid of mine because the metals were wearing out fast and the car was funky handling, the rear end wouldnt squat and was skaty mid corner and exit, it drove nothing like their SCT.
The Serpents do not seem to be good on rough tracks, but good on high bite and the AE and Mugen are good on both from experience
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Funny you say this, I race at that track in Houston all the time and found the Tekno very inconsistent out of the box, and anytime track conditions change or when you go to a different track, the setup needs to be re hauled. I got rid of mine because the metals were wearing out fast and the car was funky handling, the rear end wouldnt squat and was skaty mid corner and exit, it drove nothing like their SCT.
The Serpents do not seem to be good on rough tracks, but good on high bite and the AE and Mugen are good on both from experience
Funny you say the setup had to be re-hauled for different tracks. I went from a low-bite track to a high-bite blue-groove smooth track and i only changed a rear link and brace. Metals wearing out? Not really, the only thing worn on my eb48 after 4 months of racing is the rear center driveshaft. Mine doesn't appear to be "skaty" mid-corner and exit at all. Seems like it has tons of grip all throughout the corner.
N
And to user "bigheadbasher", may i ask why your buddy doesn't like tekno, and is so set on mugen? I drove a mugen truggy for a while last year. It had very little steering and i hated the pillowball setup. It would seem anytime i tried to adjust camber, it would change the toe and vise versa. C-hubs i think are better because you can adjust the camber and toe independently, without fear of one changing the other. Mugen quality was great, bur not a fan of the way it drove.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Yeah. My Xrays are similar. Needing massive setup changes before they would even work well at different tracks.

That was a sign I was doing something wrong though. Eventually I found that I was using the wrong rear camber link settings, hingepin settings, and ride height.

Once I figured that out. All I really needed to do was shorten or lengthen my rear camber links and readjust ride height for different tracks.

The rear of the Tekno deos some to skateboard. But the Serpents only fly like my neighbors cat (when I throw it). Perfectly level and straight. Even the newbs. So I'm jumping ship to Xray. I can fix everything else, I just want to try a car that flys like that.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
And to user "bigheadbasher", may i ask why your buddy doesn't like tekno, and is so set on mugen?
Not sure, he said he doesn't like them though. All the fastest guys around here either run AE's or Losi.. Mainly AE's with a few scattered Losis, Tekno's, Mugens and Serpents..
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

First I don't bash I race this buggy. I went the other way I went form Mugen to AE and I love it. I'm not trying to say anything to make anybody go with AE. But I always had issues on our track with the Mugen I broke the rear a arms then the front a arms and the reason I went to AE cause I just got sick and tired that my LHS didn't carry any Mugen parts. With that said I like both brands. So far I had no breaks on my AE so I'm happy. The only thing I had to change is the rear wing cause I keep chewing them up after some huge wipe outs and got an extra bulldog body. So go for it go with the Mugen cause you can't go wrong with either buggies.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Why not just get a Tekno conversion for the AE? No where near the price of a whole kit & you have two options in play.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by tedstryker
I make my buying decision based on podium victories by pro drivers. And as of recent that's why I own the mugen second it fits my driving style.yes the mugen can push on power through the corners. Well its a 4wd buggy show me one that doesn't when pushed..

I got laugh when people say its not very durable gents were not
pro drivers here we make mistakes and those mistakes result in stuff breaking.

Your gonna get 10,000 opinions on this topic tell your buddy to drive a mugen if he can see if if it fits him....

Comments made by people on something they don't own or ever drivin our some of the funniest things posted...

LOL why do people judge on what the Pro driver is driving and winning ? They are pros for a reason they race a lot more than us Average joes and better yet try many more setups. Only judge on how your fellow non pro driver says about how it drives and jumps better yet let the person drive it first to make your mind up.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Prophet

The funniest thing posted is choosing a buggy based on podium victories by pro drivers. The cars aren't stock anyway, most of them are prototypes. Look at the XB9 cars from two of the "pro racers" that finished on the podium in the last Euro in Reims. If you think a XB9 you'll buy in a shop is close from the cars they were running then I have a BIG laugh. You couldn't even get the parts if you wanted

Feedback from the average Joe tells much more about the reliability of a buggy. Of course he will crash! who doesn't?

I don't care about guys racing on super clean tracks with no bumps or even dirt at an international level. I race with guys that are no pro drivers on rough dirty and rutted tracks and some of them might crash into me so I rather have a solid buggy.

Not to mention the tracks Pro drivers race on are never really like the local tracks which change many times with the Rain etc it can get pretty rough some weekends the surface is really smooth .
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

I didn't but some friends own one. I should have asked them for a drive, next time! I'm sure I would like the mbx7 as it's supposed to be more nimble than the x6 but the price was to high for a buggy+ conversion. And to be honest I prefer Xray, Mugens are...everywhere. Just an anecdote that happened to me recently. A guy driving a Mugen comes to look my JQ and asks if it's a Mugen. I was like WHAT THE HELL He couldn't recognize his own car like if all cars were Mugens. I couldn't hold myself from laughing

Hope to see you again on a track one day, where do you race since Mol closed the track? Germany?
I race in Holland now. I'm racing every round of their nats. Some are a 4h drive tho :-( And then 4hours back home on sunday evening.

Mugen has very good support over here. The RC Speedhouse bus is always at races and is carrying a lot parts.

I was doubing between driving for Serpent or Mugen. And my mbx6's have been so good and reliable, that I kept with Mugen. And their car is excellent!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
LOL why do people judge on what the Pro driver is driving and winning ? They are pros for a reason they race a lot more than us Average joes and better yet try many more setups. Only judge on how your fellow non pro driver says about how it drives and jumps better yet let the person drive it first to make your mind up.
I agree. The RC8.2e got destroyed in last Worlds race. Does that mean it is a bad buggy for your local club guy? No.