Wiki Posts
Search

Bearings.....what do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

+1, Avid $1/bearing and your done!
The ONLY thing I use ceramics in is in brushless motors. Thats optional even!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mullet1
I've gone thru the stock bearings and ceramic bearings (mostly from Acer). I haven't really found one that keeps it's seal better than others. All of my cars are ceramics for now and they still seem to get gritty. Still have ceramics come apart too....not as quickly as regular cheapie bearings though.

What do you use and why?

Anyone try the Abec 7 ones? last longer? seal better? still get gritty?

Just ordered a set of the Abec 7 ones for the inner and outer for the wheels on my Tekno 410.
I ONLY use Avids. They are cheaper and better than any other bearings I've ever used. Here is the link of the bearings you should purchase, no need to upgrade, just get the standard kit in this link http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=524&kitname=SCT410
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
...Going back to my fishing reel days, the 7's lasted just as long as the 5's and 3's...
How often did you drag your reels through the dirt for a few hours at a time?

If you are looking for the longest lasting bearings to use in dirt, get some rubber sealed.

If you want a little less rolling resistance, get some of the Avid (I think) revolution series, one side is rubber sealed and the other side is metal shielded. Install them with the rubber seal facing the dirt.

For even less rolling resistance remove the metal shield from the revolutions, or get some metal shielded on both sides and remove one shield then mount them with the shielded side toward the dirt.

If you want the least amount of resistance possible and don't mind removing and cleaning your bearings every race day and replacing them about twice as often as sealed/shielded units, pull all the seals/shields off and load them up with dry lube.

If you want your bearings to really spin get some Duralube transmission conditioner and pour a little in a ziplock bag. Remove all your bearing seals, drop the bearings in the bag of Duralube and let them soak for an hour or so. Take them out of the bag and lay them down on a paper towel. Give em a few minutes and flip them over. Keep flipping until they quit spotting the paper towel and replace the seals/shields (or not) and you will have some very slick bearings.

If you use rubber sealed bearings for your nitro clutchbell, pull one seal off and use some motor spray to blow out the grease all rubber sealed bearings come packed full of. Put a couple drops of good oil (or duralube) in the bearing, then lay it open side down on a paper towel and let it drain before you put it in your bell with the open side turned in toward the clutch shoes. If you don't get the grease out it will sling out when the clutch gets hot and your clutch will slip real bad.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

I use abec7 ceramics everywhere besides the outer hubs off road..
They stay smooth but I end up having to shim them because they get loose
Any other bearings get flat spots on bb's if the grease leaks out and are nowhere near as smooth ..they are around 30 percent lighter but only worth it if u get a great deal on them.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Initiate

$1 AVID revolution bearings! Last quite a while and cheap to replace.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fhm555
How often did you drag your reels through the dirt for a few hours at a time?

If you are looking for the longest lasting bearings to use in dirt, get some rubber sealed.

If you want a little less rolling resistance, get some of the Avid (I think) revolution series, one side is rubber sealed and the other side is metal shielded. Install them with the rubber seal facing the dirt.

For even less rolling resistance remove the metal shield from the revolutions, or get some metal shielded on both sides and remove one shield then mount them with the shielded side toward the dirt.

If you want the least amount of resistance possible and don't mind removing and cleaning your bearings every race day and replacing them about twice as often as sealed/shielded units, pull all the seals/shields off and load them up with dry lube.

If you want your bearings to really spin get some Duralube transmission conditioner and pour a little in a ziplock bag. Remove all your bearing seals, drop the bearings in the bag of Duralube and let them soak for an hour or so. Take them out of the bag and lay them down on a paper towel. Give em a few minutes and flip them over. Keep flipping until they quit spotting the paper towel and replace the seals/shields (or not) and you will have some very slick bearings.

If you use rubber sealed bearings for your nitro clutchbell, pull one seal off and use some motor spray to blow out the grease all rubber sealed bearings come packed full of. Put a couple drops of good oil (or duralube) in the bearing, then lay it open side down on a paper towel and let it drain before you put it in your bell with the open side turned in toward the clutch shoes. If you don't get the grease out it will sling out when the clutch gets hot and your clutch will slip real bad.
I used Bocas, with rubber seals, they get dirty a lot quicker than you think, salt water is even worse.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

+1 on Avid!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Avid - $1 a bearing. No more time wasted on cleaning and re-lubing... just replace them. The wheel bearings in 1/8 buggy take a beating and from my experience need to get replaced more often than any other bearing in the buggy (other than clutch bearings).
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Avid. Cost friendly and their service is one of the best in the industry.

Both Kurt and David are great to deal with.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

I clean my bearings after every race and replace when necessary.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skengines
Avid. Cost friendly and their service is one of the best in the industry.

Both Kurt and David are great to deal with.
Yep,

Another +1 for AVID.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've always used Boca. Great bearings and a good price. Might have to try Avid.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Check this store, I use their ABEC-3 bearing set in my 22

http://stores.ebay.com/hobbyismbearings

Our track is very rough and dusty, these bearings are more reliable than stock Losi, and being that cheap, just replace when needed
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Avid's cause they are cheap and good bearings! Why clean them when you can replace them for $1? Ha
Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
i run avid to... they are the same as boca yellow seals ....
That is a false statement. Not even in the same ballpark quality wise. I'm not slamming avid but you get what you pay for. I use dollar avids and dollar econo Boca bearings both. Those are the same.

Boca Yellow and Orange seal bearings are the best money can buy but you better have DEEP pockets for those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.