R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Is there any benifit in replacement rc wheel bearing ?

Just wondering if replacing the wheel bearing can benifit with increase of speed. If so what brand is good.
Eg-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg-r View Post
Just wondering if replacing the wheel bearing can benifit with increase of speed. If so what brand is good.
in the terms of bearings for speed improvement as long as your bearings are spinning freely, dont feel gritty or have slop you are pretty much good to go.

Now you can go the route of maintenance nazi and clean your bearings after every run and replace all bearing once a month. But this can be overkill but you will always be on top of the current condition of you bearings.

Now there are certain areas of the car that more attention to the bearings is required to help prevent more costly repairs. Motor bearings I always advise checking after every track session. Next would be bearings along the drive train like diff bearings and diff pinion bearings for 4wd and all the bearing in the gear box for 2wd.

As for the bearing at the wheels as I stated earlier spin freely, dont feel gritty and free of slop.

Bearing companies are like anything based on experience with the manufacture. Acer bearing, Boca Bearings and Avid bearings are the bigger names for RC bearing and the general opinion is they all make a quality bearings that should serve you well.

In the world of bearings there are two ratings to go by. ABEC which is rpm tolerance and then Grade which level of the materials used in bearing.
Beaker151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

what abec size comes in redcat caldera and traxxas slash stock? so if i do get some i can make sure i get something better than factory stock bearings. what abec's are avid's 1 dollar bearings?

Last edited by Eg-r; 06-27-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg-r View Post
what abec size comes in redcat caldera and traxxas slash stock? so if i do get some i can make sure i get something better than factory stock bearings. what abec's are avid's 1 dollar bearings?
You could spend lots of $$$ and get the cermic ones. With a slash you won't notice any difference. Nor would it increase the speed to any noticable difference. Now when kits still came with bushings; bearings were a huge upgrade. But is this day and age its not the case. I haven't built a kit in the past few years that didn't come with good bearings (except the original 22 kits before they fixed the dif problem).

I would just stick with what comes with the kit or what ever is cheaper. For myself I just buy the protek bearings. My 22 eats about 2-3 bearings when during an indoor season. Mostly the inner rear hub bearings. Those take the most load. I know some people run cermics in the transmission then some good rubber shielded ones on the hubs. I just stick with rubber sealed ones all around.
KO KIY
Ivegotklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I wouldn't worry about the abec value.

the avid $1 are really good and last very long.

It is said that ceramic abec 7 bearings don't work in offroad because the extremely tight tolerances they blow apart when even the smallest amount of dust gets inside.
Alot of other far less awesome cars.
UK.hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Theres no real advantage to ceramics in off road. On road you can easily tell who has ceramics and who doesnt.
Hoese37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

What Abec is good for offroad and street?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Abec is nothing more than a tolerance rating for measurement and precision. Abec 3 to 5 is my preference. Then you have your inner and outer races and the material they made of, then how deep the groove is that the balls sit in and then finally the material the ball is made of.

Ceramic = less friction and much higher heat tolerance but also more fragile.

Steel = More friction, lower heat tolerance but much stronger

Then of course there is hybrids but the balls themselves are not Hybrid, either the balls are ceramic or steel and the race is either steel or ceramic.
bigbadbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Team Tekin

ABEC5 are considered quality bearings in RC and like stated above, anything with tighter tolerances don't last. Ceramics aren't really a performance gain, the only place I would see using them is 1/12 and stock onroad.
Sponsored Links