Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best ESC on the market and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

I have owned the following:

Novak - Would never buy again my Kinetic blew up in my face testing my solder joints.
Viper VTX10 - I love it. So easy to tune and so many settings. I thermalled it and need to send it in.
Trakpower - I am having some thermal issues but easy to tune. I'd rather have gotten a VTX10R.

Hobbywing 150a XERUN - Not bad, smooth, kind of a pain to tune, and I didn't like the brakes. Water damage took this things life. Great speedo for the cheap though.
VTX8 - Much smoother then the HW, better brakes, lower temps, and easy to tune.

I think either Viper or HW is the way to go. I have seen a lot of tekins go up in smoke. I am the only perons I know who has thermalled a viper. Granite ever ESC will burn under abuse.

Viper still gets my vote.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

I'm pretty happy with the R10 and HW 3.1. I'm curious to try the ORCA next.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I personally like the on/off switch feel of the Tekin, yes I'm a Throttle Jockey.

I've also ran the Hobbyking X-car 120A in my RB5 w/a 17.5 and I found it to be very smooth, brakes were a little weak, but that can be adjusted. Again, Hobbyking and Hobbywing ESC's are basically the same, you can't go wrong for the price.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by jsinclair
No there not.........but Novak was not that long ago, not sure anymore.
Actually, we are. Designed and manufactured right here in the USA, using foreign and domestic components. We keep as much as we can local to the US and even Idaho. All our ESC housings and manual printing are done right here in our home state.

Originally Posted by JasonR/C
Tekin escs - on and off switch. Their motors however are awesome
Originally Posted by bigemike
If you want to save money and have a solid esc get the hobbywing and practice practice practice. If you want to spend big money on something slightly better get the lrp flow or any of the other speedo's listed, I would steer clear of tekin though they are not smooth, even with the updates you can feel a difference between them. I haven't had my hands on a gen2 tekin, but after the rspro I don't see myself buying one.
I can tell neither of you have had a chance to try the new GEN2 stuff. It's much smoother than before, we put a ton of time and testing into getting it where it is. Amazing difference!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

LRP SXX version 1.

Small, bulletproof, and initial brake adjustment. Close second is the Gen 1 Tekin stuff. I've yet to try the Gen 2 stuff.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been running a Novak Clubman ESC and a GTB-2 for a year now with no issues. You guys can spend $200 on an ESC and I'll spend $80 and buy a good motor to go with mine. Your $200 ESC isn't going to make you faster.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Tekin - solid, performs, easy, SUPPORT
Hobbywing - support lacking, great speedo (3.1)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Viper or Tekin.
both make great products, have good support, and they stand behind them.
I have run Viper ESC's from the start, and I have a few tekin products too. I cannot praise them enough.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekin is good for all but full on Mod. I use them for blinky and I used to love them for boosted classes. They get too hot with a low turn motor though.

For Mod classes, I use ORCA and Orion.

Overall, my favorite ESC so far, for it's ability to do everything extremely well, is the ORCA vritra vx competition.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egobrkr
The other thing about novak is if you break the esc or motor you can send it in and get a new one at a discounted price if they can't fix it. That is an awesome benefit to have when you spend 200 on a esc. You burn it up send it in and get a new one for almost half the price of a new one.
No.. novak service is garbage, and they DONT send you a new one. A friend of mine bought a new novak speedo, and it literally caught on fire on his 5th or 6th battery pack. Sent into novak, and they send you back a REFURBISHED esc... not a new replacement. There is no such thing as an older novak ESC at my track because they never last that long. I don't know of a single person that has one that has NOT burst into flames after a number of runs.

Iv posted this in other threads, but here is my own personall take on the few speedos I have personal experience with. This is my 2 cents of course, YMMV.

LRP Flow
- best performing esc on the market
- high cost
- customer service can be hit or miss
- odds of getting a lemon is pretty low, but not unheard of. pretty dependable

Tekin RS
- performance is moderate, RS2 is supposed to be MUCH smoother
- reasonable cost
- best customer service in the industry by a large margin
- odds of getting a lemon is very very low (iv never see it). Super dependable

Orion R10 pro
- very high performance, (like the flow) but iv seen reports of braking issues in mod
- high cost
- customer service can be very hit or miss
- iv never seen a lemon, and they seem relatively dependable

Novak
-I would never recommend one, ever
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
No.. novak service is garbage, and they DONT send you a new one. A friend of mine bought a new novak speedo, and it literally caught on fire on his 5th or 6th battery pack. Sent into novak, and they send you back a REFURBISHED esc... not a new replacement. There is no such thing as an older novak ESC at my track because they never last that long. I don't know of a single person that has one that has NOT burst into flames after a number of runs.

Iv posted this in other threads, but here is my own personall take on the few speedos I have personal experience with. This is my 2 cents of course, YMMV.

LRP Flow
- best performing esc on the market
- high cost
- customer service can be hit or miss
- odds of getting a lemon is pretty low, but not unheard of. pretty dependable

Tekin RS
- performance is moderate, RS2 is supposed to be MUCH smoother
- reasonable cost
- best customer service in the industry by a large margin
- odds of getting a lemon is very very low (iv never see it). Super dependable

Orion R10 pro
- very high performance, (like the flow) but iv seen reports of braking issues in mod
- high cost
- customer service can be very hit or miss
- iv never seen a lemon, and they seem relatively dependable

Novak
-I would never recommend one, ever
And this is why I think "everyone" says novak is garbage. One person says they know someone that had one blow up. There are very few post that I have read that the poster owned a novak esc/motor that blew up on them. I have sent in 2 speedos and received brand new ones. I sent them in because I ran "A BILLION" degrees of timing and fried them. It was my own fault. There are a few havac pros and kinetic esc still going strong in my area.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I use hobby wing clone and a traxxas velineon and a racers edge and castle creations, ought em all used and they are still kicking and I put em thru hell
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egobrkr
And this is why I think "everyone" says novak is garbage. One person says they know someone that had one blow up. There are very few post that I have read that the poster owned a novak esc/motor that blew up on them. I have sent in 2 speedos and received brand new ones. I sent them in because I ran "A BILLION" degrees of timing and fried them. It was my own fault. There are a few havac pros and kinetic esc still going strong in my area.
It's not just hearsay, man. Novak do not make reliable ESCs.

Too much timing fries motors. If it fries a speedo, that's a crap speedo. Also, if you bought a Novak ESC to race a boosted class, well I have this bridge I'd like to sell you.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekin Tekin Tekin FTW. I own 2 RX8 first gens and it is NOT on/off. I now own a GEN2 also, ive yet to install it but it's going to be the cats meow, it's a Tekin for Christ sakes..

Ive ran or have.....

Orions Vortex 8 x's 2 (just fried a brand new one 4 days ago, plugged it in and poof, the other one i have is still running).

Vipers (which impressed me) i own the vxt10 and the vx4r.45 system, both are great, love the Progauge, with all it's functionality. I would still like to try a VXT8 but Tekins customer service just can't be beat and for the $$, id rather take my chances with Tekin based solely on experience with them. If someone gave me a VTX8 to try, i would run it.

Hobbywings, smooth but still cheap, not sure for 100% but the components and case look just like the Orions, good speedo for the $ but not a Tekin.

Castle, all the castles ive owned or own are beasts but very raw for racing, i prefer sensoered, you see people say (you can't really tell a difference), well i can and i prefer sensored..

Novak? Well ive never owned or ran one, they do have a bad rep for blowing up though, no matter if they do or don't, they got a rep for doing so which scares me lol, they may be and probably are kick arse speedos but the thought in the back of my mind is always this...

Hell, all company's can fry, ive seen it happen to everyone ive listed..
Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

for the price, you cant beat hobbywing. Service is great and I have not yet had a speedo failure.Never going back to Novak cause they would not repair or even take a look at a speedo that failed after one heat. its all about the service in this game and novak failed in that dept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.