R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-01-2017, 06:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: tobamiester
Kyosho ZX6.6 New Parts


LA359B Center Mount Set (ZX6.6)
LA375 Center Diff. Gear Set(ZX6.6)
LA375-01 Center Diff. Gear Case Set(ZX6.6)
LA375-78 Spur Gear(48P-78T/ZX6.6)
LA376 Center Drive Shaft (71.5/ZX6.6)
LA377 Center Drive Shaft (79.5/ZX6.6)
LA378 Center Drive Shaft (88/ZX6.6)
LA379 Joint Cup Cover (ZX6/ZX6.6)
UM713B Rear Arms (from RB6)


Options
VVC Blades TFW126
Spare Blades TFW001-01

Manuals:

Lazer ZX6.6 http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...20ZX6.6_IM.pdf
Lazer ZX6 http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...ZER_ZX6_IM.pdfhttp://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...ZER_ZX6_IM.pdf

After Market Bodies

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/silencer-kyosho-zx6-body

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #1546
Tech Elite
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,148
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom007 View Post
Hey guys. Just starting to run my zx6 . at the track yesterday I did have a problem with the ball stud caps coming undone. Is there a way to get upgraded ones that clip tighter? And where is the best place to get gear diffs. I think that would make it a little less maintenance that the ball difs right? Thank you all for your help. I am running a shorty and the stock a arms as well.
The Kyosho ball cups are usually pretty good,
Never had an issue with them popping off. I have the Lunsford Ti camber links and use the black Lunsford ball cups that came with them, they seem to be holding up well. So, if the stock ones pop off easy, I'd first replace the stock ones with new stock ones. That should help for sure. Otherwise, you could get the Lunsford camber link kit with their ball cups, but it's not that cheap if you're on a budget.

Gear diffs?
Cheap places to get them, I'd check eBay.
Yes they will be less maint. than the ball diffs to a point. Won't blow out the ring and pinion if you shim them right. If you do get them, I'd recommend to also get 4 5x8x2.5 (2 per gear diff) to put in place of the stock plastic parts that come with the gear diffs, helps the gear diffs last a lot longer and stay smoother.
__________________
J.Mikoliczyk

RB6 - MBX7R Eco
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #1547
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
The Kyosho ball cups are usually pretty good,
Never had an issue with them popping off. I have the Lunsford Ti camber links and use the black Lunsford ball cups that came with them, they seem to be holding up well. So, if the stock ones pop off easy, I'd first replace the stock ones with new stock ones. That should help for sure. Otherwise, you could get the Lunsford camber link kit with their ball cups, but it's not that cheap if you're on a budget.

Gear diffs?
Cheap places to get them, I'd check eBay.
Yes they will be less maint. than the ball diffs to a point. Won't blow out the ring and pinion if you shim them right. If you do get them, I'd recommend to also get 4 5x8x2.5 (2 per gear diff) to put in place of the stock plastic parts that come with the gear diffs, helps the gear diffs last a lot longer and stay smoother.
Thank you for your help. I will be doing some shopping.
katoom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #1548
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Tomorrow I finally will be able to turn some practice laps with my ZX and I'm second guessing whether or not building it front motor was a good choice. Most setup I see are rear motor. Ive only put about 5 packs through it so far and liked how it drove for the most part, but not enough time to truly see how I like it. Ive done a quick search and haven't yielded any results on the differences of the actual driving characteristics of each setup. Any advice? We were running outside before on low grip soil but now have gone back indoors to a medium/high grip compacted top soil.
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:27 AM   #1549
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX (formally Sou CA)
Posts: 1,159
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
Tomorrow I finally will be able to turn some practice laps with my ZX and I'm second guessing whether or not building it front motor was a good choice.
Robsracin, How'd it run?

I too just joined the zx6 club and ran 3 packs on s real busy practice day. I used King's setup (and Tebo) as a baseline with the parts I had in-hand).

After tire break in, I felt the buggy was super easy to drive, but lacked on power steering. I'm going to tune in my diff and slipper before making more changes.

Changes:
Stock chassis, stock plastics
Gold springs F&R, 1.6x2 all away around
42.5f/35r oil (don't have 1.7 Pistons for rear)
Time driving it > buying more options
__________________
"Tinkering with Toy Cars that go around in circles"
OCRC | Club R/C | Mike's Gulf Coast | Kyosho RB6 ZX6 MP9E
Kuya_Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #1550
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just opened up my zx6. Before I begin the build, I'm wondering if I should build it with he ball diff or get the gear diff and build it.

Anyone have experience with both. I will mainly be runnung medium-high bite turf outside and some high bite carpet indoors. The carpet will be taking over for the most part in a month, so I have to keep that in mind.

Any opinions on the setup of the car and mainly gear or ball diff opinions would be appreciated.

thanks
Franzchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #1551
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya_Kimo View Post
Robsracin, How'd it run?

I too just joined the zx6 club and ran 3 packs on s real busy practice day. I used King's setup (and Tebo) as a baseline with the parts I had in-hand).

After tire break in, I felt the buggy was super easy to drive, but lacked on power steering. I'm going to tune in my diff and slipper before making more changes.

Changes:
Stock chassis, stock plastics
Gold springs F&R, 1.6x2 all away around
42.5f/35r oil (don't have 1.7 Pistons for rear)
Time driving it > buying more options
The car was really good. The only thing it's lacking right now is steering in general, both on and off power. The car is great through the rough and jumps really well. I was on Losi 35 front and 30 rear 1.5's up front with 1.6 rear. Those are the only Pistons I had unfortunately. I also noticed that my front ball diff had loosened up by the end of the main due to breaking in I assume so when I tighten hat back up hopefully it will help
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #1552
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzchise View Post
Just opened up my zx6. Before I begin the build, I'm wondering if I should build it with he ball diff or get the gear diff and build it.

Anyone have experience with both. I will mainly be runnung medium-high bite turf outside and some high bite carpet indoors. The carpet will be taking over for the most part in a month, so I have to keep that in mind.

Any opinions on the setup of the car and mainly gear or ball diff opinions would be appreciated.

thanks
High bite surfaces like that you definitely will want gear diffs
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #1553
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
The car was really good. The only thing it's lacking right now is steering in general, both on and off power. The car is great through the rough and jumps really well. I was on Losi 35 front and 30 rear 1.5's up front with 1.6 rear. Those are the only Pistons I had unfortunately. I also noticed that my front ball diff had loosened up by the end of the main due to breaking in I assume so when I tighten hat back up hopefully it will help
I should also mention that I have sway bars front/rear, v2 0* hubs, and the RB6 rear arms on the car with the inside hole drilled out
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #1554
Tech Master
 
cnelson3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
I should also mention that I have sway bars front/rear, v2 0* hubs, and the RB6 rear arms on the car with the inside hole drilled out
Are you running motor back? I know a lot of guys are running that configuration but I tried and really liked the motor forward with shorty pack on the left and the speedo and receiver on the right. I can't speak for the longer chassis, but almost all of my handling qualms went away once I switched to motor forward and the shorty pack.
__________________
Kyosho America
Peak Racing
Trackside Hobbies & Raceway - Milwaukee, WI
cnelson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #1555
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson3 View Post
Are you running motor back? I know a lot of guys are running that configuration but I tried and really liked the motor forward with shorty pack on the left and the speedo and receiver on the right. I can't speak for the longer chassis, but almost all of my handling qualms went away once I switched to motor forward and the shorty pack.
Yes that is the configuration I am running as well. I couldn't see how it would be better with the motor in the rear and the weights of each component was nearly identical side-to-side with a front motor configuration. Like I said the car does everything really well besides turning at this point
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #1556
Tech Master
 
cnelson3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
Yes that is the configuration I am running as well. I couldn't see how it would be better with the motor in the rear and the weights of each component was nearly identical side-to-side with a front motor configuration. Like I said the car does everything really well besides turning at this point
The biggest thing you'll see is how the car reacts being on power. The motor spins in a different direction in relation to the drive-train. On power with motor forward will cause the rotational torque to push down on the front end. The motor back position does the same but pushes on the back end. I had the exact same problem you are currently experiencing until I went motor forward. After that, I had plenty of steering and it was comfortable steering. The other option is to go with Kyosho's new chassis and mount the motor brace in the new "forward" position.

Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread-imag0548.jpg
__________________
Kyosho America
Peak Racing
Trackside Hobbies & Raceway - Milwaukee, WI
cnelson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #1557
Tech Elite
 
K_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,184
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King
Default

Anyone else feel like the rear end never settles on power and exiting a corner? I feel like the front end walks the rear end around. I tried 521 arms and the rear end stayed a lot flatter, not sure what Im missing with the gull arms...
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Pro-Line - Team Orion - Stickit1 - Schelle
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #1558
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson3 View Post
The biggest thing you'll see is how the car reacts being on power. The motor spins in a different direction in relation to the drive-train. On power with motor forward will cause the rotational torque to push down on the front end. The motor back position does the same but pushes on the back end. I had the exact same problem you are currently experiencing until I went motor forward. After that, I had plenty of steering and it was comfortable steering. The other option is to go with Kyosho's new chassis and mount the motor brace in the new "forward" position.

Attachment 1315950
Your setup is the exact same as mine
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #1559
Tech Master
 
cnelson3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

I misunderstood. A lot of my steering issues went away when I went motor forward. Diff could be too tight. You could also try going narrower on the front hinge pin blocks. something else that worked for me was moving the shock in on the rear tower. Do you have a base setup you are working off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
Your setup is the exact same as mine
cnelson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #1560
Regional Moderator
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 874
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson3 View Post
I misunderstood. A lot of my steering issues went away when I went motor forward. Diff could be too tight. You could also try going narrower on the front hinge pin blocks. something else that worked for me was moving the shock in on the rear tower. Do you have a base setup you are working off?
Yes I should of thought about the diffs while I was at the track but I would say about 3/4 rotation in the front and just over a full turn in the rear as far as diff tightness. Im working off this set currently...

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/kyosho/...i_RCE20150312/
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net