Wiki Posts
Search

DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"

Why: I am an occasional racer and I am always trying to get more track time, but only make it to the club about once a month. I was noticing that I consistently turned faster laps with my DESC410R than with my 1/8 electric buggy, an electric converted DNX408. The reasons are many, but mostly I think our tight indoor track favors finesse over brute strength. It also allows me to consolidate my spares and transfer setups.

Problem #1: How to get 17mm hubs
This was a tough one. There is a company called KKPit in Hong Kong that makes the proper adapter, but they don't have a US distributor and they have a web site that is in all chinese.
What I did was use the Proline 17mm adapters for protrac slash.
Part numbers 6064-02 and 6064-03
You will also need Hot Bodies Axle 75187 x2
The Durango axles are not long enough and the diameter narrows after the bearing. The hot bodies axles will work, but you need to pound them into the inner hub bearing to get them to fit. You will also need to use the included shims and spacers to get the fit right with the protrac adapters. Also, proline has discontinued the part.

Problem #2: Body and Wing
The body was easy, The Axial Hardline AX04026 fits pretty well, is the right width and almost the right length. If I did it again, I would leave more of the wheel well material to protect the insides better. The wing was harder since the DEX410 wing mounts that are included are too low and too close for a standard 1/8 buggy wing. Kyosho TR101BK for the inferno DBX works well since it does not interfere with the rear wheels and the holes line up well enough. I used Axial body posts to mount the body and velcro on the sides.

Problem #3: Shorty Lipo Mod
This is a popular mod for capacity and weight distrubution. My solution is simple than most. 30mm Axial aluminum posts AXA1364 and a scrap of carbon fiber that I had from Hobbyking. The dimensions of the holder are 88mmx100mm. The front and rear holes are spaced 77mm wide and 82.5mm front to rear. I had to trim it to fit around the center diff. I also used a foam battery holder between the packs. Wiring is very tight and I have them in parallel since I am running a Tenshock SC411 motor.

Running weight is a svelte 6 pounds even. My 1/8 buggy was 8 pounds even. I understand it is not ROAR legal, but my club is pretty lenient and there are a few guys running backslashes. My DESC410R with saddle packs is 5 pounds 15 ounces and it uses lighter electronics.

My biggest concern is durability. Durango trucks are about as durable as a crystal chandelier. That is why I am calling my buggy "Angry Bird" since I expect it to explode on contact with anything.
Attached Thumbnails DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"-img_4133.jpg   DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"-img_4134.jpg   DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"-img_4135.jpg   DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"-img_4136.jpg   DESC410R 1/8 Buggy Conversion Build 17mm Hubs "Angry Bird"-img_4138.jpg  

Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

a standard 1/8 body wouldnt work? just use a 410 body as a cover for extra protection
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks pretty cool. Doesn't that long front bumper dig in during a nose down landing?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That's pretty slick. When will have that up at Uniontown? I did a similar setup with my shorty packs. I didn't care for using velcro to hold them.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

A standard 1/8 body would be really wide and likely scrub in the turns. theJang tried about 10 different bodies when he first made the backSlash. I used Towerhobbies and just checked dimensions for something about 5 inches wide. I think the Dex410r body would be too short since the wheelbase is different, but Durango has an inner body that might work.

It is the stock bumper with the side bars chopped off, I don't expect it to dig any more than it does in the truck, but I haven't run it yet.

I hope to get out in the next couple of weeks. The wife has been out of town so I have been playing single parent.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, the verdict is in. The angry bird is a spectacular failure. On the first qualifying run it flipped over and the stress of the wing broke both rear bulkheads before completing one lap. Fortunately, I had the parts. Fixed everything up for the main. I made it one and a half laps before T-Boning an RC8 which led to a broken front driveshaft. The lap that I completed was 17.8 seconds which is absolutely ballistic for me. Too bad about the whole durability thing. I guess a buggy based on 1/10 technology (essentially a scaled up DEX410) does not have a chance.

My DESC410r truck made it through two heats and a main with no problems.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nice work man! It's always fun to try new stuff. I cant wipe the smile off my face after I drive my SC410, It's amazing.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

How's the car drive compared to an 1/8th scale electric? I run a 1/8 scale buggy lite class with 2s battery with sc motor. This looks really light compared to an 1/8 scale. How durable is the car?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

How's the car drive compared to an 1/8th scale electric? I run a 1/8 scale buggy lite class with 2s battery with sc motor. This looks really light compared to an 1/8 scale. How durable is the car?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

so you took a truck that get pushed around in its own class(4wd SC) since it was based on a smaller car and put it in a class that has even bigger and heavier cars?

I bet that was almost comical to watch? sorry but you had to know it was going to happen.