Search
Like Tree3Likes

Front brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mind_Blower
Now there's an interesting idea! Just have to find small balloons that would tolerate the hydraulic fluid without breaking down or expanding.
Originally Posted by JordanCatalano
Since it would be low pressure, low temp, water might work. Less chemicals to worry about.

Maybe get some ideas here:

http://www.minorrubber.com/Bellows_And_Boots.html
Half or more of the hydraulic disc brakes in the Mountain Bike market use mineral oil. It's not cooking oil but it's FAR less volatile than Dot 3 or 4. Dot 5 is basically silicone fluid too.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

have you thought instead of a metal cable, using fishing line? it has decent tensile strength, ultra light weight. and in theory should have significantly less drag than steel cable.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
This is flying in the face of all that is cool so far but how about a center disc with the wheels attached via shafts? Basically a 4wd layout but with a disc in place of differential up front. Might be an easier proof of concept and less fiddling with bias left to right.

The unsprung weight would offset with all the gear now centered and a single servo.
That idea has crossed my mind too and might be a way to have front brakes and fit within the rules. I actually wanted to have the bias capability and cared less about rules. To put it simply, I wanted to see if I could do it.

Originally Posted by getloose
have you thought instead of a metal cable, using fishing line? it has decent tensile strength, ultra light weight. and in theory should have significantly less drag than steel cable.
I have not thought about fishing line but I'll keep that one in mind if I ever find time to make another version. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

Ok so I got to race last weekend and let me just say that the changes I made to make the brakes stronger worked great! It will now lock them up! The track layout was the same as the last time I ran on it which was good and bad. The bad being that the layout just doesn't require hard braking anywhere. The good, I could compare lap times. For this type of layout I thought about having the front brakes automatically apply as I turn the steering wheel. The further I turn the more brake is being applied. I also played with how much was applied to the inside compared to the outside tire. That made a HUGE difference in how the truck handled in the corners. Basically if you wanted more steering you'd want more braking on the inside tire, and more braking on the outside tire gave less steering. 5% difference could be felt without being too drastic but definitely changed it's handling. This could come in handy. During warm up laps if it's loose or pushing I can just adjust the front brakes to help make up for it. This would not be good if the track had a section that you would be accelerating while turning. i.e. A straight with a kink in it. But this layout had nothing like that. My fastest lap was .3 seconds faster than last time I raced on that layout and I could fairly constantly match my old fast lap.

I made a quick video of stopping distances. I was going to do a lot more video stuff but spaced it out till the race night was over. Sorry.

P.S. Yes that's carpet and foam tires I race on.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davidka
Half or more of the hydraulic disc brakes in the Mountain Bike market use mineral oil.
So if your feeling irregular you can also drink your brake fluid. Bonus!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Erik, any updates, new info or any videos of it running on track?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Erik, any updates, new info or any videos of it running on track?
Sorry, I have not been able to run it and it's killing me! My local indoor track shut down for the summer but should open back up in October or November. I'll get some video of it running when I can play with again.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

I was just thinking of this and looked it up. Did anything eventuate?
Was there really an argument as to whether front brakes on a 2wd off road would be advantageous?
Not only reduced stopping distance but having control over the front tires. Can u imagine having control over front and rear bias? Smashing it into a corner and seeing the front dive under brakes in 2wd mod! I know it's not a purists thing but this IS the future and 2wd will be better because of it..
Old 06-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's so much "the future", that no one had posted in this thread for almost 3 years.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Amazing job!!

Any update?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Check back in 3 more years?

I don't think he's run it in a long time. Pretty amazing what he accomplished though, eh?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Taper
Amazing job!!

Any update?
No, no updates really. Had to retire from running that truck because parts are scarce for it. Last time I ran the front brakes in it, I had them turned up a little too high and burned up one of the brake servos. It was a bummer too because they were really handy for that particular track layout. Maybe I will revisit this idea sometime and make it even better.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, wow, I just realized this was hackerspace related. Do you still visit Sector67? I'm active at PS:1 in chicago. I've done.. a fair amount of RC projects there.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Oh, wow, I just realized this was hackerspace related. Do you still visit Sector67? I'm active at PS:1 in chicago. I've done.. a fair amount of RC projects there.
No, I have not had any projects in over a year that required the use of Sector67. I do miss going there but can't justify a membership if I don't have anything to work on. PS:1 looks awesome! If I have time when I'm in Chicago again, I'll check it out.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

theory versus reality, lets see some track time results... super idea , but to what benefit....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.