Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Legit info on timing setup? >

Legit info on timing setup?

Legit info on timing setup?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Legit info on timing setup?

So I think it's pretty obvious what timing does, but I've searched far and wide to no avail to these set of questions.

What timing settings are optimal? Where on a timing table should start and end points be set and why? I know these are specific to setup, so ill throw that out there;

22sct
21/82 gearing
Novak pulse/ ballistic 13.5

Now on a 13.5. Where should timing start? Why? I've read that the lower the endpoint the faster the timing hits and increases, and after the endpoint remains full bore until your motor tops out. whereas if you set the range broader it will increase at a slower rate; is this accurate? If timing is too low will it make the motor slower by decreasing tourque until the motor reaches it's new optimal range?

Is gearing compensation really needed if added timing is at low levels( or is it just to deal with excess heat?) same question for endbell timing, how much and is it nesecxary to retard timing a bit to broaden power?

I know this is alot of questions at once, I just wish I could find more info on the correct way to dial in timing closer than "here are my tekin settings; it's fast"

If anyone could elaborate any understanding of this feel free to reply, it will be greatly appreciated to myself and anyone else who, after tinkering with timing with varied increases, starts to wonder why and how?