Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better to bash than slash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Better to bash than slash?

I have a lcg 4x4 slash I enjoy alot,not as much as it breaks though.
For whatever reason I'm very drawn towards sct rcs. More specifically after research the TEKNO SCT 410.3 kit.
Seems as though a few simple upgrades could yield far more durable for bashing than my current slash 4x4.
Assuming I go through with this kit is there a decent "waterproof" electronics selection well suited for this truck?
Lastly,after being accustomed to traxxas's TSM. Would it be too different without a gyro or stability management system of sorts?
Thanks.

Just got on the site this is also my first post so if it's in the incorrect place I do apologize just trying to get started.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What is breaking on your slash?
What electronics do you have on it right now? If it's stock, the electronics should already be waterproof.
New drivers usually can't tell the difference between a truck with gyro or without.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm with lexyp on the gyro thing. In a 4x4 it's pretty much point and shoot driving already.

As for waterproof electronics, I would look into Hobbywing or even Castle's new Mamba X.

And as far as the sct410.3 is concerned. I wouldn't upgrade anything unless you break it. The thing is already a tank out of the box lol. Unless you tend to run into walls at full speed.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're not building a racer get a castle system. Since you're already used to sensorless with the slash it should be no big deal in the techno. Also make sure you get a waterproof steering servo if you are looking for a basher.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I'm with lexyp on the gyro thing. In a 4x4 it's pretty much point and shoot driving already.

As for waterproof electronics, I would look into Hobbywing or even Castle's new Mamba X.

And as far as the sct410.3 is concerned. I wouldn't upgrade anything unless you break it. The thing is already a tank out of the box lol. Unless you tend to run into walls at full speed.
Agreed! My 410.3 is a tank and i love it!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I had Traxxas Slash 4x4 plantinum LCG version. Upgraded to max with everything you can possibly imagine... Including a custom Losi buggy shock in there as well.
It broke left and right even with all the RPM stuff and Robinson Racing Hardened steel gear. Also, it flipped over easily and didn't handle well around the corner.

My buddy showed me his SCT410.3. I was hooked.
So I sold my slash 4x4 LCG as roller and took all the electronics out of that junx and put it on SCT410.3.

Castle 2650KV motor Hobbywing SC8 and TSM receiver with hitec 7950TH servo.
Running 4S with steel spur gear and it is flying.

No breakage yet at all even though I bash it harder than Slash 4x4. It handles extremely well around the corner and no flipping since center differential really holds the turn down.

The only thing I notice is that front tires balloon up when I do full throttle on onroad. but I hear that's a common symptom with center differential.

If I turn on TSM on SCT410.3. It is a cheat car. it beats all the other cars in terms of handling haha. I don't use it when I race though because it spoils me.

Ever since this, I bought 2 more TEKNO cars and sold all my traxxas vehicles. Most of people in my track go through this "traxxas phase"

Just my 2cents and sharing my experience.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kms7852
The only thing I notice is that front tires balloon up when I do full throttle on onroad. but I hear that's a common symptom with center differential.
you can up the center diff fluid. If you are bashing, something in the 30K range woudl be good.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
you can up the center diff fluid. If you are bashing, something in the 30K range woudl be good.
Thanks Cain, I'll try that!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
If you're not building a racer get a castle system. Since you're already used to sensorless with the slash it should be no big deal in the techno. Also make sure you get a waterproof steering servo if you are looking for a basher.
Funny you should say that because I've never had issues with my non waterproof servos getting wet, but I have managed to short a waterproof esc with water. Maybe just luck with my servos?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kms7852
Thanks Cain, I'll try that!
cool., and if you find that isn't sufficient keep going up. I think I read somewhere someone is really liking 100K in the center.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by lexyp
Funny you should say that because I've never had issues with my non waterproof servos getting wet, but I have managed to short a waterproof esc with water. Maybe just luck with my servos?
It is harder to damage a servo due to water than it is an ESC. Servos are all in a plastic or alum case. So that right there protects them most of the time. The waterproof ones just have better seals and a gasket around the area the receiver wires exit the case from. But for a straight up basher I like the Savox SW1210sg. I have used it in 1/8th scale with no issues. 277trq, alum case, fully waterproof, steel gears.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ARRMA Senton
say no more !
Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

The Senton is a great truck. Not as strong as a tekno sct... but then again what SCT is? But it is cheaper and ready to run and a ton more durable than the slash.... or pretty much any other ready to run SCT.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
The Senton is a great truck. Not as strong as a tekno sct... but then again what SCT is? But it is cheaper and ready to run and a ton more durable than the slash.... or pretty much any other ready to run SCT.
The ARRMA Senton is easily the toughest truck on the market. 6s without anything else needed, HUGE bumpers(seriously, look at them) and the driveline to boot. The Tekno is an amazing SCT but you are comparing it to a truck built to be a basher.

Senton>Tekno for a bash vehicle any day of the week.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

As I said the Senton is one of the toughest on the market in ready to run form. But there is nothing stronger than a buggy design kit car from Tekno or Losi..... nothing. And yes the SCTE/SCT410 are buggy chassis kit cars with SCT suspension and bodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.